2017 leveled with Stabilitrak issues

Hey everyone, so I just bought a new '17 1500, it has about 500 miles on it now. I just did a 2" leveling kit and put 275/60R20 BFG KO2s with new rims on it. I absolutely love this truck and how it looks now but, i have started to notice the Stabilitrak engaging the ABS on moderately aggressive around 90 degree turns, mostly left turns but some right turns as well. I did a bunch of searches but all i really found were threads from years ago and all guys with 6"+ lifts and 35s. This doesn't happen every turn and like i said it has to be taken a moderately aggressive speed and a pretty hard turn for it to engage, but its still pretty annoying.

I did an experiment and drove 4, 90 degree turns with everything on, took the turns fairly fast and it kicked in on every turn. Then i took the same turns with just traction control off, and it kicked in on all turns again. Then I held down the button and disengaged Stabilitrak, took the turns, and it never kicked in.

Basically I'm wondering, is there a way to fix this? Is it just the heavier tires and size difference throwing off the Stabilitrak? Has anyone else experienced this as well?

I haven't seen any threads about this topic from leveled guys so I'm hoping theres a simple fix, since it is such a minor level and only 1" tire size change.

Thanks for the feedback!

just want to say you have a beautiful truck!

• Like 3

zcusker:

Your post also eases my mind concerning my truck being a Denali with Magnetic Ride Control. I thought I may have an issue due to that system and that is why none of the other lifted/leveled trucks don't have my issue. But you don't have Magnetic Ride Control and you have the same concern. Clears that dilemma up for me real quick. I called GM Tac line again today. They have escalated it, will maybe hear from them in a week or so. Will post if I hear something from them. Leveling a truck cannot cause this issue. Not possible. I also have had the concern since 500 miles. The 2017 software is ALL NEW. Completely different than a 16 or older. I have a feeling this concern will never be resolved. Aligning CAN be an issue with a 17, but I have had mine checked and rechecked. It never cured the ABS pumping. I have a feeling it is the YAW sensor myself. Too sensitive for 17 and up models. Any roll a.k.a. turning corners may be setting off the YAW control.

Has anyone REROUTED the ABS wires with a bracket made for this? I see Rocky Ridge Conversion trucks has FACTORY abs wires with their own Rerouting bracket. I called them, haven't heard back to see if they will sell the brackets. The reason for them, gives the lines enough slack when turning sharp, may be stretching the wires JUST enough to send a short signal to the stabilitrak system.

Hey guys thanks for all the feedback!

-dasimmon- Thanks man!

-wyomingcolt- I turned the wheels full crank and looked at the brake lines and there seems to be plenty of slack in the brake line, but i don't know if it could be a different situation while moving. Have you heard anything else?

I did take the truck to the dealer and the service manager drove it around for like an hour and he told me that he couldn't replicate it and that they checked everything out and everything supposably working as it should. Ive kinda just been trying to take it extra easy around corners and just kinda ignore it, but it does still happen often and it does annoy me. Part of me was hoping it was just a bunch of loose gravel on the roads setting it off since our streets are done with winter quite yet. I am thinking I'm gonna put the stock wheels on this weekend and see if that does anything, i don't think it will change anything but worth a shot i guess. Unfortunately i only drove the truck for a week before installing the wheels and tires and the streets were snow covered that week so I don't even have a reference if this one an issue from the beginning.

Thanks again for all the input!

Zcusker:

I have also checked my abs wires. Seem to have plenty of slack. I ordered an Edge programmer this week as they just released 17 6.2. gunna change tire size in ECM as soon as it arrives. Not holding my breath but we will see. Some guys have had good luck with hypertech in line speedo calibrators for 17 also. I will post on any results.

Ok fellas. So, calibrating speedo WILL NOT change your life or cure your issues. I installed Edge performance chip today and calibrated my speedo, after changing tire size correctly, smaller, bigger and EXACT speedo to GPS speed, NOTHING will cure the ABS/Stabilitrak issue. Sorry. Chip DID make my truck faster, just not around corners....hahaha! So, as far as tire sizes are concerned, that is NOT the thing making your Godforsaken Stabilitrak system turn on around a corner.

when i had this problem with my previous truck (2014 silverado) it was an abs wire that was rubbing/damaged due to larger tires or the installation of larger tires from the tire shop. dealer fixed it quickly, never had the problem again.

Edited by arkenzo

arkenzo:

Thank you so much for your reply. I am actually scheduled to take it back to my tire guys that installed all my stuff tomorrow. Worth a try. I appreciate any ideas. Thank you!

no problem, the dealer covered it under warranty and tried to place the blame on my "oversized" tires, but the dealer said it was a pretty inexpensive wire covered under warranty.

arkenzo- thanks for the info man!

wyomingcolt- if that fix works for you I'm going to print this thread off and take it to my dealer and get this annoyance fixed! the dealer installed all of my parts so if that abs wire was damaged then its ion them.

I have a 2016 with a level and 275/60/20 as well, Been running them fine for 10k miles. Took them off and put the stock tires on as I was going for a long trip. Noticed the passenger side abs wire had been rubbing the inside of the rim and burned through the insulation. The loop that was there from the factory was too large allowing it to touch the rim compared to the other side. Drove the truck for 2 weeks no issues and now randomly the service stabilitrack/abs/tow light will come on and off at random start ups. Going to the dealer Saturday to swap the wire but they also plan to see if they find anything else.

So, after chipping and dialing in the speedo to a GNATS ass perfect. No Stability fix. Still pumps ABS brakes on slow corners. Re-aligned again. ABS wires have plenty of slack. Tested and retested ABS wires. No issues. Now getting a camber kit to get +1-+1.5 as GM's system for checking alignment and steering angle is more sensitive than my EX wife. Shop is ordering Camber kit today to install and then re align and reset steering sensor. Have a feeling ABS will be pumping till i trade it off, which will be soon. NO FIX YET.