Passenger air bag indicator

Most likely a cost cutting measure. My 15 had the indicator on the overhead console. The 16 has a delete plate where the indicator is supposed to be. That said, I have no idea if there is any indication. Maybe try and place something heavy on the seat and drive, see if a indicator comes up on the display?

I have a 2016 2500HD. Unlike most cars, there is no audio or visual indicator that the passenger airbag is activated. That said, how do I know my passenger is protected?

Airbag on/off and status light info starts on pg 77 of the 16 sierra manual...

There is a couple of pages of info.

I have read through the manual and it doesn't say specifically what the deal is. I have no light in the overhead console and no on/off switch for the passanger. I will assume there is no sensing since there is no indicator. Airbags are on all the time. Maybe it has to do with the heated and ventilated seats?

My understanding is that it's not required on the 3/4 ton and up trucks due to their GVWR. However it is a mandate for the 1/2 ton trucks due to them being held to the same standards as smaller cars/vans, etc.

Also I think with the advent of smart airbags they are supposed to deploy with less force or not at all based upon the weight in the seat so they no longer provide a switch to turn them off altogether as they had done in the past. At least my '16 2500 CC doesn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have looked closely at the dash on start up and found one of the "idiot" lights is aan airbag light. I would think that if there was an issue with the airbag system this light would be on.

Archived