Exhaust whistle

I just had a shop put on a 18" MagnaFlow muffler (part number 12259) had them remove the flapper and run 3" all the way out to summit racing corsa clone dual tip exit behind rear passenger wheel. Sounds awesome except when I'm about 60% to WOT at 3800 rpms it makes a loud whistle noise and more throttle I give the louder it gets. And it can get screaming pretty good. I have only noticed with passenger windows down. All weld look really good but could it be a pinhole type exhaust leak? Any other ideas or help is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Does it do it parked just reving the engine? If you do a cold remote start and look under truck you might be able to see if you have a leak. That first burst of exhaust should be visible. The stock exhaust has a weep hole in the bottom and that doesn't make it whistle.

Haha no it doesn't sound like the turbo whistle xl and I'm not to sure if it does it parked just revving. My setup is 3" pipe from flex piece all the way to tail pipe with 18" magna flow around stock position. But it honestly does sound like a train once its starts going. or like when u blow over the top of a coke bottle just 10000x louder... ill call shop today and see if they might have anything to say. ill try and post video at some point

I had the same thing on my '15 I just traded. I got the tip from summit racing. Looked great but definitely whistled. I didnt have a CAI of any kind. Its the tip.

Sounds good. which tip did you have? This one by chance?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-691201/overview/

Did you ever pinpoint where it was coming from on the tip? Just asking because I'm taking it back to exhaust shop tonight to have them take a look. They suspected the tip as well...

Sounds good. which tip did you have? This one by chance?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-691201/overview/

Did you ever pinpoint where it was coming from on the tip? Just asking because I'm taking it back to exhaust shop tonight to have them take a look. They suspected the tip as well...

Thats the one. Its just the way the tip forks I think. After I noticed mine, I noticed several other trucks of all brands with that style tip doing the same thing. Its a shame because it really does look great.

Dang well hopefully there is a solution for it and hope that isn't the case. One of the best looking tips on these trucks for sure. But I will write back if I get it sorted or just have to get a new tip put on.

Figured it out! Its because that exhaust tip is staggered. When run out of the side the exhaust flow wants to only use the the furthest back exit not both. I had a lot more soot on the rear exit then the front one. So the air/exhaust flow was blowing right past the first exit and of course once it had enough pressure and air would cause it to whistle. They welded in 2 washers in the very back right where the tip splits into a y so that it can divert airflow and whistle is gone! Hopefully this will help some other people since it was such a headache to try and figure out. What i think would also help is if the pipe before the tip was bent more to a 90 degree angle so it can share more airflow.

I had same problem but with a Corsa Sport exhaust. I called them and they said they were aware there was issue in muffler design but they had fixed it. They said from the serial# on my muffler it was the newer design and it shouldn't whistle but I sent them a video while driving and they shipped a new muffler next day to me and the whistle is gone now.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same issue with a dual tip my local muffler shop installed. Sounded exactly how you described it, like a train. Took it back to the shop and had them install just a single tip and it went away. Wow was that whistle annoying!

• 1 month later...

Figured it out! Its because that exhaust tip is staggered. When run out of the side the exhaust flow wants to only use the the furthest back exit not both. I had a lot more soot on the rear exit then the front one. So the air/exhaust flow was blowing right past the first exit and of course once it had enough pressure and air would cause it to whistle. They welded in 2 washers in the very back right where the tip splits into a y so that it can divert airflow and whistle is gone! Hopefully this will help some other people since it was such a headache to try and figure out. What i think would also help is if the pipe before the tip was bent more to a 90 degree angle so it can share more airflow.

Having the same issue. Any pictures of the washer placement.

Archived