High Idle Regen?

In the market for a 2500 Duramax Denali and loved the test drive the other day! While on the test drive, the alert "cleaning exhaust filter, continue driving" came on. We drove it for 20+ min.'s above 30mph like recommended and it cleared. BUT.... If the truck is equipped with the "high Idle" option, can you do a stationary regen if that warning comes on?

Nope, there is no stationary regen on these trucks, you have to drive it 30+ miles at highway speeds for the regen cycle to complete. The idle will be elevated when it is in regen.

The only stationary regen is a 'service regen', and it needs the dealer computer to initiate.

What year/mileage is the one you drove?

Getting a cleaning message is unusual. If normal regens successfully occur, there is no message at all -- since GM intended that regens be a non-event.

The only stationary regen is a 'service regen', and it needs the dealer computer to initiate.

What year/mileage is the one you drove?

Getting a cleaning message is unusual. If normal regens successfully occur, there is no message at all -- since GM intended that regens be a non-event.

It was a 2017 with 77 miles on it. Dealer only had it for a week

Nope, there is no stationary regen on these trucks, you have to drive it 30+ miles at highway speeds for the regen cycle to complete. The idle will be elevated when it is in regen.

Someone said (just one person so far) in the duramax forum that they cleared this code letting it idle in the parking lot but it took over 20 min.'s

Seems very strange the DIC had a msg or it regened at 77 miles. Would leave that one on the lot for the next guy. Agree with the earlier comment if all is right U won't see a msg Expect it should go over 400 miles before needing a regen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Vast differeNce between my 2015 and the 2017. The 2017 uses about 1 1/4 gallon of DEF per thousand and regents about ever 300 miles for about 25 miles. The 2015 went over 500 but regened for over 60 miles at times.

The bigger tank is not making it much over 5000 miles.

After reading about hard shifts, etc. I was caught in traffic a regen ago and experienced the hard clunk upon stopping caused by high idle. Actually with the radio off and a window open the 2017 makes a number of strange sounds. Most I can explain but the loud tick from under the truck when allowed to roll at idle has me stumped.

Dealer perhaps has it right when he said today's vehicles are created around the radio.

Vast differeNce between my 2015 and the 2017. The 2017 uses about 1 1/4 gallon of DEF per thousand and regents about ever 300 miles for about 25 miles. The 2015 went over 500 but regened for over 60 miles at times.

The bigger tank is not making it much over 5000 miles.

After reading about hard shifts, etc. I was caught in traffic a regen ago and experienced the hard clunk upon stopping caused by high idle. Actually with the radio off and a window open the 2017 makes a number of strange sounds. Most I can explain but the loud tick from under the truck when allowed to roll at idle has me stumped.

Dealer perhaps has it right when he said today's vehicles are created around the radio.

fuel economy about the same then?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Right after I got my truck, I got a couple CEL, when I picked up my truck from the repair at the dealership, I got the pop up about the regen. I assumed that was regen set by the service guy.

Then I think I experienced a "passive regen", on a drive into work on the highway where I normally see 20 mpg, I was lucky to get 13 or 14.

Is this normal? Burn more fuel to save the world?

Right after I got my truck, I got a couple CEL, when I picked up my truck from the repair at the dealership, I got the pop up about the regen. I assumed that was regen set by the service guy.

Then I think I experienced a "passive regen", on a drive into work on the highway where I normally see 20 mpg, I was lucky to get 13 or 14.

Is this normal? Burn more fuel to save the world?

Normal is when there is no message and it 'just happens' as you are doing whatever the truck was purchased to do. Normal regen is supposed to be a non-event, with no impact on truck operation.

Archived