High Idle Regen?

• 3 months later...

During the regen process my truck was using a gallon of DEF for every 80 miles of driving and then finally went into limp mode so my maximum speed on the freeway was 55 MPH which is downright dangerous. After 6 hours of driving I made it home but regen never completed. I had to drive it at 55 MPH to the dealer and have them do the regen in the shop.

Incredible that after all these years that GM still has not updated the programming to manage regens. Should have bought a RAM with the Cummins engine. Small wonder that Ram sells more trucks than Ford, GM, and Chevy combined.

Right after I got my truck, I got a couple CEL, when I picked up my truck from the repair at the dealership, I got the pop up about the regen. I assumed that was regen set by the service guy.

Then I think I experienced a "passive regen", on a drive into work on the highway where I normally see 20 mpg, I was lucky to get 13 or 14.

Is this normal? Burn more fuel to save the world?
Passive regen is at high egt. No extra fuel.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

You have three choices for your regen process, 1. let it happen like GM wants it to.  2. Have a GM Tech2 hooked up and cause it to happen "Service Regen".  3. Have a Edge CTS2 and use one of its two ways of forcing a regen, you can do it stationary, or you can force it to do it while driving but you need to shut the truck off before it will start.  That is a pain if you are nearing your destination and about ready to start regen and you want to do it before you get into town.  :jester:

6 hours ago, Wintersun said:

During the regen process my truck was using a gallon of DEF for every 80 miles of driving and then finally went into limp mode so my maximum speed on the freeway was 55 MPH which is downright dangerous. After 6 hours of driving I made it home but regen never completed. I had to drive it at 55 MPH to the dealer and have them do the regen in the shop.

Incredible that after all these years that GM still has not updated the programming to manage regens. Should have bought a RAM with the Cummins engine. Small wonder that Ram sells more trucks than Ford, GM, and Chevy combined.

Clearly something is wrong with your truck.

DEF is used continuously, not just during regen.

DEF consumption should be in the range of 1200mpg, not 80mpg.

And how did you figure out the the def mileage was 80mpg when it was trying to regen?

On 12/12/2017 at 7:16 PM, calgator73 said:

Passive regen is at high egt. No extra fuel.

I am pretty sure that is what that 9th injector is for.  And you can hear a difference in the  exhaust sound, the heat from under the truck.  

And most of all I can see the difference in fuel economy. 

I am pretty sure that is what that 9th injector is for.  And you can hear a difference in the  exhaust sound, the heat from under the truck.  

And most of all I can see the difference in fuel economy. 
Exactly right but that is active regen.

• 1 month later...

I must be oblivious. I had to fill up my DEF at 3500 miles. I’ve been commuting in my truck. I have never noticed when I’m in regen. Once the truck smelled like hot rubber... I have noticed when I suddenly have crap mpg. But the thing is my commute is only 20 miles. I’ve never seen the message and it doesn’t seem like I’m driving far enough or long enough to finish the cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Waaazooo said:

I must be oblivious. I had to fill up my DEF at 3500 miles. I’ve been commuting in my truck. I have never noticed when I’m in regen. Once the truck smelled like hot rubber... I have noticed when I suddenly have crap mpg. But the thing is my commute is only 20 miles. I’ve never seen the message and it doesn’t seem like I’m driving far enough or long enough to finish the cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have seen multiple regens in that mileage. The L5P regens seems to regen every 300-400 miles.

Here is a thread over at Duramax forum - http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/2017-l5p-duramax-powertrain/883098-l5p-regen-interval.html

I use an Edge Insite CTS2 monitor in my 15.5 and it typically will regen around 800 - 850 miles, but have noticed at times it will regen around 650-700 miles.  From what I can tell monitoring regens in my truck, it all depends on where I get fuel.  Get fuel at local Sunoco and regens in the 800 mile range, go across the street to Shell and in the 650 mile range.

I get about 3500-4000 miles from a full tank of DEF. Anywhere from 350 miles(city) to 800 miles on a regen.

And yes it idles high in regen- idrive on the highway and its done in20 min.

Archived