dual battery in a 6-0

any body have the dual battery option in a 2017 silverado 2500 hd 6-0. cant find factory part numbers or a wiring diagram for 17. dealer i bought truck fron wanted to use duramax parts but i would like to stay oem. parts dept was an dumb as a rock. any help would be appreciated

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

any body have the dual battery option in a 2017 silverado 2500 hd 6-0. cant find factory part numbers or a wiring diagram for 17. dealer i bought truck fron wanted to use duramax parts but i would like to stay oem. parts dept was an dumb as a rock. any help would be appreciated

I'm pretty sure the Dmax parts would be the same. My 6L has a battery tray on the LH (driver's side) from the factory, does your's?

Are you wanting to add the 2nd battery to power accessories?

A long, long time ago I added a 2nd battery to my '82 K15 to power my winch. Added the OEM dual battery tray, a battery isolator:

https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/images/Battery-Isolator.jpg

Wired the isolator as shown:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/amvt9S8l3fU/maxresdefault.jpg

I have dual batteries but it wasn't factory installed. I used the factory tray that as there put a same sized battery as the other and wired them together. There tied to my winch. I used black wire loom, dressed it out nice, crimped all my connection points turned out good. I just wanted a bit more battery capacity in the event I got bad stuck down at our camp. Im usually alone so I wanted to be prepared.

There isn't a kit to add dual batteries to an already built truck...most of us have the cables made because of cost. I was quoted overn $1500 to install a second battery by a dealer, I did it for less than $300 including the battery and #0 battery cables with ends installed, and the hold down clamp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Wanted to do the same to my 2015 ended up doing my own install. With a smart isolator in line the second battery charges when the primary in fully charged. Added a remote switch which allows me the jump start the truck if the primary goes dead.32ec3450fe324e597d0fcae94cbe6cdf.jpg

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

When I had to rework the winch power cables on my Polaris Ranger, I had a shop that did plow installs crimp new terminals on the 'cut' ends of the cables. A plow shop should be able to make up the proper length cables for you.

I had my cables made at the Deka wholesale /retail store and my battery is a Deka factory second. That helped save me some $.

I used a piece of garden hose to mock up the installation. It bends like cable, and once it was about where I wanted it, I marked it for the positive, measured the length, then marked it for the negative, and measured. My cables are about 5 inches different. I probably still have the measurements.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

My one regret is not getting the second battery option with my truck. It's not an option that you'll ever find in a 6.0 in my neck of the woods but instead of ordering a 2017 I took a 2016 with 99% of the options I wanted at a huge discount.

Oh well, first world problems... :nopity: lol

• 9 months later...

I'm in the process of installing a duel battery system on my '17 2500hd sle, have all the parts except the tie down stuff, coming in the mail. When the install is complete, and the winch and lights work, how do I know that the isolator is doing it's job? Just by the fact that the second battery is charging? And how do I test that? Electric work isn't my favorite, right... Any help appreciated.

I'm in the process of installing a duel battery system on my '17 2500hd sle, have all the parts except the tie down stuff, coming in the mail. When the install is complete, and the winch and lights work, how do I know that the isolator is doing it's job? Just by the fact that the second battery is charging? And how do I test that? Electric work isn't my favorite, right... Any help appreciated.
Read the voltage at each of the batteries, if charging they should be the same voltage. If isolating, one should read higher (the isolated battery) than the other (assuming your using it)...

Steve
2012 2500hd

• 4 weeks later...

So how did you tie battery cables together on main batteries? Did you cut off main battery terminals and add on after market? Also what Isolator are you using?

Ok, so why do you all need or want the second battery?  I understand if you have a winch then it would be good for that, but what other purposes would it have?  I have the spot for the second battery but my truck only came with the one battery.  

Archived