Photo
- - - - -

4x4 Service Light goes on and off

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 Kamyoon

Kamyoon

Enthusiast

• 64 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 09:21 PM

The warning light on my dash has been coming on every so often indicating "Service 4x4", and it goes away when restarting the engine, or after some driving.

Is this like the oil change warning, triggered by time interval between oil changes and resting of the timer, or is it sign of a serious problem? Is there anything I can check on my own, or does this mean an expensive trip to the dealership?

Need help on this one.

#2 Firetiger(MN)

Firetiger(MN)

Enthusiast

• 897 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 10:31 PM

Mine used to do that on my '99 also. I believe the owner's manual states that it's only an issue if it remains illuminated.

2006 2500HD LS, 4x4, ext. cab, SB
Duramax/Allison

511_gm_power_header.jpg

#3 frdfandc

frdfandc

Enthusiast

• 550 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 10:52 PM

I have seen this before when I was working at a Ford dealer the past 4 years (approx 6 months ago I left) . The 4x4 high & low lights would flash on the explorers and rangers. Usually it was the 4x4 shift motor (for the push button 4wd, or a sensor. More than likely its one of the two thats causing your light to flash. But with the intermittent light coming on means that sometimes its ok, and sometimes its not.
Darin

2007 CCSB 5.3 LTZ Z-71

Click Click Racing
Superstallions.com

#4 rjgogo

rjgogo

Enthusiast

• 51 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 11:23 PM

I have the same thing happening. You can't just restart, it has to be a few minutes then it will go away. This has to be some type of defect.

#5 THE BIGPUNN

THE BIGPUNN

Enthusiast

• 705 posts
  • Drives:2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Posted 28 June 2003 - 01:58 AM

when mine did this, the dealer replaced the switch. no trouble since.
Posted Image

2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV (Big B)

1998 Harley Davidson Road King Anniversary

PAST TRUCKS
1999 Gmc Sierra 1500 Ext. Cab
2003 Gmc Sierra 8.1L Crew Cab (Black Dog)
2007 Chevy Silverado Duramax Crew Cab (Azul)
2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crewcab (My boy blue)

#6 silverado man

silverado man

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,402 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 10:08 PM

:) It's a bad 4x4 switch. Do a search here for service 4x4 and I'm sure you'll find the part number so that you can order it from one of our preffered vendors.

Shawnee_Mission.gif

'99 Silverado 1500 x-cab Z71, Dark Metallic Copper, LS, Leather seats, K&N FIPK, Amber DRL's, remote start, tinted windows, R&D Accessories, GM-Trucks Decal, RF Punch 200.4 amp, JL Audio 10W6, and more mods to come
Silverado Man's Website

Mike

#7 99silveradoz71

99silveradoz71

Senior Enthusiast

• Senior Moderator
  • 10,997 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 10:38 PM

The autotrac switches have been failing with some regularity it seems. I know a few members have had to replace theirs.
Posted Image
2008 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0L 3.73 Blue Granite

#8 rjgogo

rjgogo

Enthusiast

• 51 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 12:02 AM

I also just got a message "Service Auto Ride" Then it went away as well. Same type of thing. No codes thrown. just the messages, Is this related?

#9 hamhawk

hamhawk

Enthusiast

• 12 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 06:20 PM

I had the same problem back in about March it started by April it got to where the push buttons would not engage the 4wd. I followed Silveradoman's advice and replace the switch myself for about 40 bucks and it's been fine ever since. :)

#10 Kamyoon

Kamyoon

Enthusiast

• 64 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 09:00 PM

Where did you get the switch and how hard was the replacement? Any special tools or tricks I need to have to do the this?

My 4 wheel drive buttons are also acting up and sometimes do not engage/disen :) gage..

#11 silverado man

silverado man

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,402 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 10:28 PM

Where did you get the switch and how hard was the replacement?  Any special tools or tricks I need to have to do the this?

My 4 wheel drive buttons are also acting up and sometimes do not engage/disen :) gage..

Yup that's all part of the bad switch. If you tap the dash the lights kind of flicker. Here's the part number go to either of the Preferred vendors http://www.gmpartsdirect.com or http://www.partszoneonline.com and type in this number 15709327, it is for the switch on the dash. All you have to do is take the dash bezel off and than pull the switch out, unplug it and reinstall it. Pretty easy task. If you need more help please feel free to ask. :D :jester:

Edited by silverado man, 30 June 2003 - 10:29 PM.

Shawnee_Mission.gif

'99 Silverado 1500 x-cab Z71, Dark Metallic Copper, LS, Leather seats, K&N FIPK, Amber DRL's, remote start, tinted windows, R&D Accessories, GM-Trucks Decal, RF Punch 200.4 amp, JL Audio 10W6, and more mods to come
Silverado Man's Website

Mike

#12 bigtruck21

bigtruck21

Enthusiast

• 364 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 01:05 AM

Mine did this too. First time they had a bulletin to put a new program in it. Two weeks later service 4wd light came on again and it needed a new encoder motor.

#13 Texas Jon

Texas Jon

Enthusiast

• 3 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 01:26 AM

Just to add another possibility to the solution:

My dealer checked mine out today while doing the 3k service. They checked the computer and tested the switch. Seems all it needed was a software update which they performed while doing the battery drain campaign. Add in a new A/C cycle switch, a new passenger side rear 1/4 window and a new rear-view mirror and it was a very productive visit!

Best of luck with it...

#14 toyotatech

toyotatech

Enthusiast

• 39 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 09:22 PM

My 2003 1500HD had this problem. Service 4WD message would come on and go out after one key cycle. The dealer replaced the encoder motor.

p.s. If the message comes up, it sets a code. The code that sets determines what part needs to be replaced.

#15 AZ-Z71

AZ-Z71

Enthusiast

• 529 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 01:52 PM

This happened to mine a while back and to a woman that works with me. (Same year truck) Funny they both happened around the same time about a week apart. Her mom worked for a dealer and we got the part for like $25 each. It ended up being the switch pod on the dash. Simple procedure. Did both truck in under 15 minutes total. Has not come back on either truck.
1999 Z71 Silverado LS

BFG 315/75/16, Axis Sport Regulators, Performance Accessories 3" Body Lift, Fabtech 6" Suspension Lift, R&D 4-way Head Light Mod, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster 50SUV (3" in/dual 2.25" out), XM radio, Westin Platinum Series Nerfs, Diablo Sport Prediator (with a custom tune)

Coming soon;
4.56 gearing, maybe some headers - then I think I'm done (wink, wink)