4x4 Service Light goes on and off

The warning light on my dash has been coming on every so often indicating "Service 4x4", and it goes away when restarting the engine, or after some driving.

Is this like the oil change warning, triggered by time interval between oil changes and resting of the timer, or is it sign of a serious problem? Is there anything I can check on my own, or does this mean an expensive trip to the dealership?

Need help on this one.

I have seen this before when I was working at a Ford dealer the past 4 years (approx 6 months ago I left) . The 4x4 high & low lights would flash on the explorers and rangers. Usually it was the 4x4 shift motor (for the push button 4wd, or a sensor. More than likely its one of the two thats causing your light to flash. But with the intermittent light coming on means that sometimes its ok, and sometimes its not.

I had the same problem back in about March it started by April it got to where the push buttons would not engage the 4wd. I followed Silveradoman's advice and replace the switch myself for about 40 bucks and it's been fine ever since. :)

Where did you get the switch and how hard was the replacement? Any special tools or tricks I need to have to do the this?

My 4 wheel drive buttons are also acting up and sometimes do not engage/disen :) gage..

Where did you get the switch and how hard was the replacement?  Any special tools or tricks I need to have to do the this?

My 4 wheel drive buttons are also acting up and sometimes do not engage/disen :) gage..

Yup that's all part of the bad switch. If you tap the dash the lights kind of flicker. Here's the part number go to either of the Preferred vendors http://www.gmpartsdirect.com or http://www.partszoneonline.com and type in this number 15709327, it is for the switch on the dash. All you have to do is take the dash bezel off and than pull the switch out, unplug it and reinstall it. Pretty easy task. If you need more help please feel free to ask. :D:jester:

Just to add another possibility to the solution:

My dealer checked mine out today while doing the 3k service. They checked the computer and tested the switch. Seems all it needed was a software update which they performed while doing the battery drain campaign. Add in a new A/C cycle switch, a new passenger side rear 1/4 window and a new rear-view mirror and it was a very productive visit!

Best of luck with it...

My 2003 1500HD had this problem. Service 4WD message would come on and go out after one key cycle. The dealer replaced the encoder motor.

p.s. If the message comes up, it sets a code. The code that sets determines what part needs to be replaced.

This happened to mine a while back and to a woman that works with me. (Same year truck) Funny they both happened around the same time about a week apart. Her mom worked for a dealer and we got the part for like $25 each. It ended up being the switch pod on the dash. Simple procedure. Did both truck in under 15 minutes total. Has not come back on either truck.

Archived