Do states enforce laws on lifts?

So I live in CT and the laws of my state is that you can't exceed 4 inches for your lift. I want to get a BDS lift and their is very little price difference between a 4 inch and 6 inch and I'll already be at that point unable to get into most parking garages.

So I am wondering what kind of trouble could I get if I end up getting a 6 inch lift versus a 4? Also how would they be able to tell in the first place?

Thanks

Well how may lifted trucks do you notice that you know it has to be 6" or bigger? Being that the law is specific to the actual lift size I would imagine it would be hard for a cop to be able to tell that it was more than 4" if it was close. The cop would either have to be a truck enthusiast or would be mechanically inclined enough to find a spot to measure from that looked to be a factory suspension mount. Of course not talking about a lift that you know for sure is way more than 4". I of course don't know even the law about it in my area. But, it does seem like most places have the law that specifies the headlight height no matter the vehicle.

You'd already be breaking the law with the 4" lift once you factor in the new tire height. I've never heard of anyone getting pulled over for a small lift. I have heard of people getting pulled over in mini monster trucks but that's a whole different ball field.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

No inspection in CT so I doubt anyone would ever bother you. Unless you had an officer looking for any reason to take you down. But that would most likely be personal and never during a traffic stop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also live in CT and I used to have a TJ with a 4.5" lift and some bigger than stock tires, never got hassled. There are trucks in my town with 12"+ lifts that I see driving daily and they seem to be fine. I'm guessing if you're ever trespassing, or getting pulled over for something unrelated and are being a dick it's something they CAN enforce if they want, but I think it's pretty relaxed for the most part.

Mississippi does not have a height restriction, but I wish they would ticket these assholes with fvcking tires hanging outside the fenders kicking rocks and road debris onto vehicles behind them. As you can see I hate lifted trucks with big mud tires!

RT

I just learned Maine uses vehicle weight.

the heavier it is, the higher you can go.

over 7500 can be 30 inches to bottom of frame and ground.

if legislation does not want to be bothered, they probably just threw that number out to get something written in CT.

I was living in moosup, CT in the early 80s, a lifted truck had a freak mishap with people in the back, bodies went flying.

that episode made some serious news about lifts..laws and arguments. Not just Connecticut.

I ponder that is still in the roots on whatever they came up with. Not a common thing to prove a lift kit deadly.

In reality, as I grew up in my driving years in maine, with wimpy half tons getting swamped..

from 88 onward a 4x4 does not need much. Lift kits just strain geometry, top speed handling etc.

Up to you, not just the law to think about.

Seeing what just 4 inches does to a differential height gain is really silly when push comes to shove.

Laws differ just look it up for your area they typically specify a certain bumper height so if your lift moves your bumper surface up to high you could be in violation and technically I might have to make a citizens arrest and confiscate your vehicle for some 4 wheeling activity.......

Thanks guys for the input. I think I'm leaning to 4, inch lift with 33. Play it say and at the same time give me the stance I was. If I went with a 6 inch lift I would also then want 35 but that would require re gearing my current 3.42 to something bigger.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for the input. I think I'm leaning to 4, inch lift with 33. Play it say and at the same time give me the stance I was. If I went with a 6 inch lift I would also then want 35 but that would require re gearing my current 3.42 to something bigger.

Let me know if you ever find anywhere cool to go wheeling! Haha

Laws differ just look it up for your area they typically specify a certain bumper height so if your lift moves your bumper surface up to high you could be in violation and technically I might have to make a citizens arrest and confiscate your vehicle for some 4 wheeling activity.......

I got harassed in New Jersey for having a off-road bike in the bed while I was driving around the pine barrens...they could have cared less about the truck, but I was guilty because the bike was back there...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Now that I've been looking at picks. I'm so torn between a 6 and 4, inch lift. Sure I'll have to re gear lol. Driving around I've seen people with what looks to be taller than 4 inch. So definitely a lot of people exceed the limit.

Really both looks good. 4 inch with 33 or 6 inch with 35.

Archived