24 replies to this topic

#1 WIarcheryhunter

WIarcheryhunter

Enthusiast

• 34 posts
  • Name:Robert Herrmann
  • Drives:2016 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Gasser

Posted 04 March 2017 - 02:00 PM

I just bought a 2016 Sierra 2500 HD gasser last Friday.   We had a snow storm on Wednesday and I used the 4WD for the first time(manual floor shifter).   There seemed to be laboring on the engine while in 4wd drive.    The RPMs ran about 2500 higher at 45 MPH also.  Took to the dealer and they have no idea what is wrong with it.  They are going to start taking the front differential apart today.   I don't like the idea of having them replace parts instead of replacing the whole diff.  I did not buy a new truck to get a rebuilt front dif right away.   Any other 2500HD owners have this issue?   Anyone know how to get GM to replace the whole differential or whatever other part they may find as the cause?

#2 15HDriver

15HDriver

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,197 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 02:42 PM

You didn't shift into 4Lo did you? 

DSC_0317-1.jpg

Current Vehicle:
- 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500.  Ext.cab, All Star, 5.3, Z71, Blue Granite Metallic.

Former Vehicles:
- 1997 Olds Achieva SL. Sedan, Quad 4 LD9.
-2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD. 6.0, reg cab, 4x4, Sport Red Metallic, 65,XXX miles. Built March 2004, totaled in MVA April 30th, 2011.

- 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd. 6.0, reg cab, 4x4, Green Metallic, 36,694 miles

#3 sdeeter19555

sdeeter19555

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,790 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Drives:2012 2500HD CC

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:33 PM

That would explain the 2500rpm higher part wouldn't it....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

#4 15HDriver

15HDriver

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,197 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:38 PM

That would explain the 2500rpm higher part wouldn't it....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I'm thinking so from what it sounds like...the reduction provided from 4Lo would shift the transmission sooner and then in turn spin a higher rpm at a lower speed.  45 at 2500rpm, these HD trucks will shift into 6th at 44-45mph. 

Edited by 15HDriver, 06 March 2017 - 07:45 AM.

DSC_0317-1.jpg

Current Vehicle:
- 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500.  Ext.cab, All Star, 5.3, Z71, Blue Granite Metallic.

Former Vehicles:
- 1997 Olds Achieva SL. Sedan, Quad 4 LD9.
-2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD. 6.0, reg cab, 4x4, Sport Red Metallic, 65,XXX miles. Built March 2004, totaled in MVA April 30th, 2011.

- 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd. 6.0, reg cab, 4x4, Green Metallic, 36,694 miles

#5 WIarcheryhunter

WIarcheryhunter

Enthusiast

• 34 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:53 PM

NO... I had it in 4 HI.  I'm not a newbie trucks.   Gotta be pretty green to not know the difference between the two.  I'm sure its happened before though>

#6 4x4Pete

4x4Pete

Enthusiast

• 146 posts
  • Drives:'16 2500HD LTZ Z71 CCSB Ocean Blue Metallic

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:14 AM

Sounds really weird. Maybe there is a problem with the 4x4 switch, it engages 4 low only?
2016 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 LTZ Z71 Crew- Weatherguard toolbox, Magnum low pro rack, Access toolbox edition tonneau, T-Rex bumper grille, Husky Contour mats

#7 WIarcheryhunter

WIarcheryhunter

Enthusiast

• 34 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:45 AM

Sounds really weird. Maybe there is a problem with the 4x4 switch, it engages 4 low only?

It has a manual floor shifter...so this can not be a possibility.   I'm hoping the dealer figures this out quickly.

#8 WIarcheryhunter

WIarcheryhunter

Enthusiast

• 34 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:50 PM

So, right now, they are telling me a bearing was not seated properly in the front diff.  The fork shows some wear, but they don't know if that is normal.   They are waiting for GM to decide if they just press the bearing in and pit it back together or if they should replace parts.   

#9 Texas Sandman

Texas Sandman

Enthusiast

• 103 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:50 PM

With it not even being a week old, I would request a new front diff or another truck, all you know is what they will tell you GM says and a failure that soon indicates a problem with a vital component of an expensive vehicle. The fork showing some wear after one use would not provide me much confidence, just glad you weren't hunting or something and it left you stranded out somewhere in the frozen tundra. Or even worse your wife or family.

The difference in an ordeal and an adventure has a great deal to do with your attitude.

#10 WIarcheryhunter

WIarcheryhunter

Enthusiast

• 34 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:43 PM

With it not even being a week old, I would request a new front diff or another truck, all you know is what they will tell you GM says and a failure that soon indicates a problem with a vital component of an expensive vehicle. The fork showing some wear after one use would not provide me much confidence, just glad you weren't hunting or something and it left you stranded out somewhere in the frozen tundra. Or even worse your wife or family.

I did request a new differential.   They wont do it and the written warranty backs them.  I don't like it either.  Also, I am lucky it didn't happen when hunting, there is nothing within 40 miles of the areas I hunt.  I'll be keeping a close watch on this.   Also, after further inspection, they found a snap ring that holds that bearing in place was gone.  They are replacing several internal parts(so they say).  The fork, bearing, snap ring and some synchronization parts(don't remember what that was called actually).  So, I will end up with a rebuilt differential on a new truck.   

#11 crankman

crankman

Enthusiast

• 378 posts
  • Drives:2015 GMC 2500HD SLE Crewcab

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:51 PM

I know it a bitter pill to swallow with a new truck but I went through a transfer case opening and a front diff opened and I survived. I had a bearing replaced in the transfer case and its perfectly fine a year later. Things happen we dont want them to but I just got over it afterwards and moved on. Just let them fix it and odds are you will never know the difference. I use my 4x4 weekly to and it has worked every time I asked. My good fortune is I have a top service dept person that I trust and I had to rely on them. 

#12 WIarcheryhunter

WIarcheryhunter

Enthusiast

• 34 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:02 PM

I know it a bitter pill to swallow with a new truck but I went through a transfer case opening and a front diff opened and I survived. I had a bearing replaced in the transfer case and its perfectly fine a year later. Things happen we dont want them to but I just got over it afterwards and moved on. Just let them fix it and odds are you will never know the difference. I use my 4x4 weekly to and it has worked every time I asked. My good fortune is I have a top service dept person that I trust and I had to rely on them. 

This gives me hope...bad part for me is, this is the first time I am dealing with this dealership.   I guess time will tell. 

#13 GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service

Verified GM Representatives

• 1,872 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:17 PM

Hello Wlarcheryhunter,

Transitioning to a new vehicle should be an exciting time, and I know you don't expect issues with one. Our team would like to formally document your feedback and offer our assistance to your dealership visit. If that is of interest to you, please send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, contact information, and dealership. Any additional details you'd like to provide would help us as well. 

https://www.gm.com/p...-statement.html

Regards,

Anthony

GM Customer Care

>>>>>> Please check out the new GM Owner Center at https://my.gm.com/ for more vehicle information!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/pr...-statement.html

#14 WIarcheryhunter

WIarcheryhunter

Enthusiast

• 34 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:35 AM

Hello Wlarcheryhunter,

Transitioning to a new vehicle should be an exciting time, and I know you don't expect issues with one. Our team would like to formally document your feedback and offer our assistance to your dealership visit. If that is of interest to you, please send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, contact information, and dealership. Any additional details you'd like to provide would help us as well. 

Regards,

Anthony

GM Customer Care

PM sent...after talking to the dealer again(before they fixed it), I realized it was the transfer case, not the differential.  Not alot of confidence in this truck right now.

#15 WIarcheryhunter

WIarcheryhunter

Enthusiast

• 34 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:37 AM

Hello Wlarcheryhunter,

Regards,

Anthony

GM Customer Care

PM sent...after talking to the dealer again(before they fixed it), I realized it was the transfer case, not the differential.  Not alot of confidence in this truck right now.

I guess I didn't send you a PM.  I received a response that states you can not receive any more messages at this time???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users