Sign in to follow this  
Gorehamj

Done Deal - GM Unloads Opel/Vauxhaull to PSA

post-139450-0-97411700-1488812797_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
3-6-2017

The ink is dry and Mary Barra's handshake with PSA's Carlos Tavares, chairman of the Managing Board of PSA, makes it official; GM is erasing Opel/Vauxhall off its balance sheet. General Motors is continuing to concentrate its efforts on China and North America as its two primary markets and has shed its burdensome car units on the Continent. Here are the two statements from each of the companies:

PSA: “We are proud to join forces with Opel/Vauxhall and are deeply committed to continuing to develop this great company and accelerating its turnaround,” said Carlos Tavares, chairman of the Managing Board of PSA. “We respect all that Opel/Vauxhall’s talented people have achieved as well as the company’s fine brands and strong heritage. We intend to manage PSA and Opel/Vauxhall capitalizing on their respective brand identities. Having already created together winning products for the European market, we know that Opel/Vauxhall is the right partner. We see this as a natural extension of our relationship and are eager to take it to the next level.”

GM: “We are very pleased that together, GM, our valued colleagues at Opel/Vauxhall and PSA have created a new opportunity to enhance the long-term performance of our respective companies by building on the success of our prior alliance”, said Mary T. Barra, GM chairman and chief executive officer.

“For GM, this represents another major step in the ongoing work that is driving our improved performance and accelerating our momentum. We are reshaping our company and delivering consistent, record results for our owners through disciplined capital allocation to our higher-return investments in our core automotive business and in new technologies that are enabling us to lead the future of personal mobility. We believe this new chapter puts Opel and Vauxhall in an even stronger position for the long term and we look forward to our participation in the future success and strong value-creation potential of PSA through our economic interest and continued collaboration on current and exciting new projects,” Ms. Barra concluded.

Thanks for nothing? Do we get the headlights at least OPEL?

Good riddance.

• Like 2

Other than the high end cars, most of the small stuff in Europe just plain sucks and always did! Glad they dumped it!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

ADSENSE FOOTER
  • Similar Content

• By sierra1412
      2017 sierra A/T crew cab I have the most annoying tick noise over bumps, coming from the b pillar behind my left ear and it is driving me brick house, I've pulled at the trim off put my hands on everything made sure everything is tight, stuff rags in between contact points, I've run out of ideas, anyone have an guidance for me, I'm a ex gm technician of 5 years , I know what I'm doing but of course my own truck baffles me..per usual any new bulletins or tsbs?
    • By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      9-27-2017
      Why would workers at one of General Motors' most productive North American plants running three shifts straight out building the company's most popular crossover worry about job security? "Mexico" is the answer according to a detailed story published by the Detroit News.

Workers and union representatives at the Canadian CAMI plant which builds the new Equinox worry that work will shift from the higher-wage plant to a plant in Mexico. The concern is not unfounded. The CAMI plant has already lost 400 jobs and the GMC Terrain to Mexico. The Detroit News used the example of four-year CAMI plant worker Todd Sleeper. Sleeper took the job at CAMI after Caterpillar offered workers at his old job a choice; Accept a pay cut of 50% or the company would move the work to Mexico. The work moved, and he was out of a job. Sleeper sums up what the strike is about, saying, “We need to start protecting jobs here in Canada.” It should be noted that most of the Equinox vehicles built in GM's CAMI's plant are exported to the United States.

The CAMI plant employs 2,450 hourly workers as well as about 300 salaried workers. The plant is located in Ingersoll, Ontario Canada about 80 miles North-East of Detroit and Dearborn, Michigan.

Ten days ago, GM issued this statement on the CAMI plant strike: While General Motors of Canada and our Unifor partners have made very positive progress on several issues over the past weeks, the Company is disappointed that we were not able to complete a new agreement. We encourage Unifor to resume negotiations and to continue working together to secure a competitive agreement.

• By 75GMCFAN
      Hey all.. my name is Mike and I recently bought a 2017 GMC Sierra SLT.. Its my first new ride in almost 14 years. So much has changed in vehicles its awesome. I plan on modding a bunch of stuff on the truck and figured the best way to learn is find a forum where people most likely know way more than I do for ideas.
      I also have my own YouTube channel where I review tech and of course everything I do to the truck. Check it out if you want. I just did a new video on the Infotainment system on my GMC.
      Im excited to be a part of the forum..
    • By AskMeAboutMySilverado
      After driving my Silverado for a little over a year now, and having driven a few rental cars inbetween, i have realized that there is one very subtle feature that I love about my truck.

With so many vehicles now using electronic cruise control, and not the old mechanical switch and buttons GM used to have, it is common for the owner to have to turn Cruise Control back on every time the engine turns off. I use my cruise control constantly, and i mean constantly (lowest it will let me set at is 24 MPH, if i could use it at 20, i would). BUT, every time i turn my truck off, and turn it back on, cruise remains on!!! I don't know if this is unique to chevy right now, but ive driven a lot of rentals recently that the cruise needs to be turned back on every time i get in it, and i find myself turning it on and off constantly because i dont remember if its on.

So thank you, GM, for leaving my cruise control on and not turning it off when i didn't ask you to.
    • By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      7-6-2017
      An accident at the General Motors Detroit-Hamtramck plant left three workers with injuries. AP reports that pressure from a valve caused the injuries. Reports of an "Explosion" may have been an exaggeration.

The Detroit-Hamtramck has been building cars since 1985 and is now the primary location for Chevy Volt production. The plant is a bit unusual in that it builds cars for three brands, Buick, Cadillac, and Chevrolet, and it builds both front and rear-wheel drive cars.