2017 6.2L 8 Speed Tuning

I just started on the tuning for my 2017 Silverado(5.3 not 6.2), and it is 4 credits for the PCM and if you have an 8 speed it is an extra 4 credits for the TCM and they have to unlock the TCM at HP Tuners before you can tune it which is an additional charge also. If you have a 6 speed there is no extra cost or unlocking needed to tune that TCM. We had to transmit the vin and the first read to HP Tuners to be added to there data base before being able to tune it. That being said the first read and write of the tune on the 2017s you have to be connected to the internet via wifi(hotspot). After that you do not need to be connected to the internet to upload tune files as long as its the same computer you used initially. We just used my trucks wifi and it worked no problem. These new PCMs are very complex thus the extra cost to tune them. My tuner Klug Performance uses HP Tuners exclusively.

That is exactly what I'm having done by Doug at East Coast Superchargers in Cream Ridge, NJ.

It is not practical on a daily driver to dyno. Not to mention the possibility a drive shaft flying apart. Some places wont even let a truck on their dyno.

Here is what I know. EFI Live will work with no problem once you pull the stock file off the ECU or TCU you can use whatever program you want. hell even excel spreadsheet program. The problem is getting the autorization to get in to read and flash.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hi Gorske and wildlyfe200,

It sounds like you two are the only ones to have true firsthand knowledge. Can you give us a rundown of

1) What your trucks felt like before and after the HPtuners work.

2) What kind of tuning did HPtuners do? Can you continue to perfect it?

3) What programming you had done by an independent programmer after you got the HPtuners module(s) back. What did that feel like over the HP tune?

4) Money invested so for?

5) Anything other advice you have for us since you have the experience?

Thank you!

Ryan

What does that mean, that no one can be the first to be able to do anything ever?

I absolutely will be using Chuck to do a full engine, trans, and CoW Booster tune when I buy my 6.2L Sierra during the 4th of July sales coming up.

He doesn't write the software that reads and flashes the ECM and TCM though. He doesn't have access to the source code to modify it.

And the "CoW booster" is completely unnecessary on all of the E92 and E78 vehicles, as that "capability" is inherent in the torque response modification.

I'm weary of this tune ...

So can HP tuners do a full tune after their hardware mod ? Including torque management (which has been available for a while if I'm not mistaken) ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as I know, they can to the extent that the 2016 8 speed can. Torque management is not a big deal on the 8 speed transmissions though, they are able to shift very quick and crisp without *any* TM changes.

HPTuners work comes at a very hefty price tag. The service fee to open the TCM and unlock it is $200, then licensing fee on that TCM is $200 more.

That is incorrect. EFILive will only save a file in its own proprietary format once it has been read out or edited with EFILive software. Excel is only used as a means to manipulate table data that is copied from the tune file using EFILive's tune tool.

The 2017 T87A controller utilizes a digital signature security procedure when attempting to flash. This is something that can *only* be generated by GM. HPTuners is able to "unlock" a TCM by physically disassembling it to make hardware changes (likely soldering in a jumper wire as has been done with diesel trucks in the past).

At the onset of this topic, I emailed EFILive's head engineer directly and received the response quoted above. Further, in response to Chuck's posting, he writes:

and then followed up with:

I would hate to see somebody spend money on a tune here, thinking they are going to get 8 speed tuning, only to find that it is a marketing gimmick or that they are being lied to. It would be very easy to make you *think* you were flashing in your transmission by just labeling a copy of your engine tune file as "TCM Tune" or something like that. How would you know that you weren't flashing the TCM?

Thanks justin for the clarification. I'm glad this information is getting out. I am hearing alot of mis-information and false claims. I learned the hard way by ordering a V2 from you guys and plugging it in and realizing no TCM support. I had to scour EFI Live forums to even find anything about the T87A.

I'm sure a phone call or email before I placed the order would have been a smart move and that what is what i am suggesting anyone do before buying a tuning product for the 2017's.

Any chance that you guys will ever offer a tune through HP Tuners.?

Edited by wildlyfe200

Hi Gorske and wildlyfe200,

It sounds like you two are the only ones to have true firsthand knowledge. Can you give us a rundown of

1) What your trucks felt like before and after the HPtuners work.

2) What kind of tuning did HPtuners do? Can you continue to perfect it?

3) What programming you had done by an independent programmer after you got the HPtuners module(s) back. What did that feel like over the HP tune?

4) Money invested so for?

5) Anything other advice you have for us since you have the experience?

Thank you!

Ryan

Keep in mind my 2017 has the 6 speed so I did not have to get my TCM unlocked. Truck feels night and day. I used Klug Performance in Michigan for my tune. He uses the HP Tuners software to do custom tunes.HP Tuners is like EFI Live and there is a lot they can change with the PCM and TCM. If you have a 1998-2016 GM vehicle Klug Performance charges 250 dollars for a custom tune. If it is a 2017+ GM truck he charges 400 dollars for the PCM tune/TCM tune with a 6 speed, and a truck with the 8 speed would have an addition charge from HP Tuners to unlock the TCM of 200 dollars plus shipping like Black Bear stated along with 4 addition credits to unlock the TCM which is 300 dollars so a 5.3/6.2 with the 8 speed would be right around 900 dollars total to tune and unlock the PCM and TCM. If you have a 5.3/6.2 with the 8 speed I would just recommend the PCM tune which would be 400 dollars and save the extra 500 dollars and not have the TCM unlocked. Thats just my opinion. Again that would be for a 2017 GM truck or SUV and anything before 2017 would only be 250 dollars via a tune from Klug Performance. I think the PCM tune is the best performance gain for the money you can spend. I would recommend Klug Performance or Black Bear for a custom tune. Both offer great service and results. I would contact either for more information. Here are some of my performance results just from the Klug Performance tune.

e85 tuned/93 tuned/stock

Time Slips

Quickest times full street weight e85 and tune only.

Time slips

Edited by Gorske

Keep in mind my 2017 has the 6 speed so I did not have to get my TCM unlocked. Truck feels night and day. I used Klug Performance in Michigan for my tune. He uses the HP Tuners software to do custom tunes.HP Tuners is like EFI Live and there is a lot they can change with the PCM and TCM. If you have a 1998-2016 GM vehicle Klug Performance charges 250 dollars for a custom tune. If it is a 2017+ GM truck he charges 400 dollars for the PCM tune/TCM tune with a 6 speed, and a truck with the 8 speed would have an addition charge from HP Tuners to unlock the TCM of 200 dollars plus shipping like Black Bear stated along with 4 addition credits to unlock the TCM which is 300 dollars so a 5.3/6.2 with the 8 speed would be right around 900 dollars total to tune and unlock the PCM and TCM. If you have a 5.3/6.2 with the 8 speed I would just recommend the PCM tune which would be 400 dollars and save the extra 500 dollars and not have the TCM unlocked. Thats just my opinion. Again that would be for a 2017 GM truck or SUV and anything before 2017 would only be 250 dollars via a tune from Klug Performance. I think the PCM tune is the best performance gain for the money you can spend. I would recommend Klug Performance or Black Bear for a custom tune. Both offer great service and results. I would contact either for more information. Here are some of my performance results just from the Klug Performance tune.

e85 tuned/93 tuned/stock

Quickest times full street weight e85 and tune only.

I will get my TCM back from HP Tuners on Tuesday. Fast turn around I overnighted it on Wensday they got it thursday 10:30 AM and had it back out Friday. Next Day Air for Saturday would have been an option but for close to $100 I could wait. I want to do the full engine tune and trans. I have a 2017 Denali ultimate 1500 6.2l.

I am also going to have the tune done by a local shop when it goes in for headers and cat-back hopefully Wed. or Thurs, I wanted to get the TCM unlocked first also still waiting on a call form the shop telling me got they got the headers and hf cats in.

I know how the credit thing works but I'm curious. I bought the VCM Suite the handheld and software. Even though the shop is tuning it will I still have to use my credits to use the handheld I bought from HP Tuners? I have a feeling I am going to have to blow all 8 credits when I want to do some tuning for my self or even read or flash. I think it's 4 for the 2017 PCM and also 4 for the T87A TCM.

My local shop East Coast Supercharging http://www.eastcoastsupercharging.com/is $395 for street tune. I hope no extra charge besides that I've already sent in my TCU to be unlocked. I'm also wondering if they will have to pay extra for the credits and hit me with the bill? I'm wondering if I just license my handheld and then he can load his tune though that. Hell all he needs to do is make the file and I can flash it. I assume for him to even get into my ECM and TCU he would have pay the extra credits. Just not trying to pay twice for the credits if you know what I mean.

I hear ya. I have no clue how it all works after the initial unlock, either. It really isn't laid out clearly anywhere that I can find. Probably a stupid question, but will you have to use credits every time you make an adjustment to the tune in the future? That doesn't seem like it would be the case to me.

Please pass along the info of how it all works when you can. And also what the truck feels like after the tuning. It would be super helpful if someone was able to just do an engine tune first, and then compare that to an engine plus trans tune second.

Best of luck and I hope it all works out exactly the way you want!

I will get my TCM back from HP Tuners on Tuesday. Fast turn around I overnighted it on Wensday they got it thursday 10:30 AM and had it back out Friday. Next Day Air for Saturday would have been an option but for close to $100 I could wait. I want to do the full engine tune and trans. I have a 2017 Denali ultimate 1500 6.2l.

I am also going to have the tune done by a local shop when it goes in for headers and cat-back hopefully Wed. or Thurs, I wanted to get the TCM unlocked first also still waiting on a call form the shop telling me got they got the headers and hf cats in.

I know how the credit thing works but I'm curious. I bought the VCM Suite the handheld and software. Even though the shop is tuning it will I still have to use my credits to use the handheld I bought from HP Tuners? I have a feeling I am going to have to blow all 8 credits when I want to do some tuning for my self or even read or flash. I think it's 4 for the 2017 PCM and also 4 for the T87A TCM.

My local shop East Coast Supercharging http://www.eastcoastsupercharging.com/is $395 for street tune. I hope no extra charge besides that I've already sent in my TCU to be unlocked. I'm also wondering if they will have to pay extra for the credits and hit me with the bill? I'm wondering if I just license my handheld and then he can load his tune though that. Hell all he needs to do is make the file and I can flash it. I assume for him to even get into my ECM and TCU he would have pay the extra credits. Just not trying to pay twice for the credits if you know what I mean.

ECS tuned my '08 Vmax and did a great job. I'm curious to see how yours turns out with the trans.

I hear ya. I have no clue how it all works after the initial unlock, either. It really isn't laid out clearly anywhere that I can find. Probably a stupid question, but will you have to use credits every time you make an adjustment to the tune in the future? That doesn't seem like it would be the case to me.

Please pass along the info of how it all works when you can. And also what the truck feels like after the tuning. It would be super helpful if someone was able to just do an engine tune first, and then compare that to an engine plus trans tune second.

Best of luck and I hope it all works out exactly the way you want!

one thing i'm i'm sure of once you use you credits for your vehicle you have full unlimited access to read and flash all you want. only if you want to tune another vehicle will you have to buy more credits.

•  

ECS tuned my '08 Vmax and did a great job. I'm curious to see how yours turns out with the trans.

Glad to hear they did a good job. I know Doug at ECS is highly regarded on the corvette forum that is how I found him.

The 8 credits is what you will need to licence your PCM and TCM. Once that is done you don't need to buy any credits and you can make changes as you please. I would think they would send you the tune file and you would upload via your VCM. If you want changes made to your tune some tuners charge a small fee. Other than that you will not have to buy more credits or pay anything else. Edited by Gorske

The 8 credits is what you will need to licence your PCM and TCM. Once that is done you don't need to buy any credits and you can make changes as you please. I would think they would send you the tune file and you would upload via your VCM. If you want changes made to your tune some tuners charge a small fee. Other than that you will not have to buy more credits or it pay anything else.

If I was getting a mail-order tune yes I know that's how it would work. But I'm wondering if the shop will have to pay with their vcm and then try to charge me extra. I'm going to call today to find out and also see if they got my headers in I can't wait to get it all done.