2017 6.2L 8 Speed Tuning

Good to know. I had a feeling they just scuffed it up handling it.

This is turning out to be a very informative thread. I just wish we could figure out how people are tuning T87A's with EFI Live.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

It's simple - they aren't. What they are doing is programming T87 units (which are supported by EFI Live) with 2016 factory calibrations that interchange with 2017 vehicles. The T87 and T87A are pin compatible. Now, when they start saying they are tuning the 9sp or 10sp transmissions with EFILive, I'll eat my words.

Are you certain you got back the exact TCM that you sent in?

The T87A can't be tricked. The T87 is a 3MB computer, the T87A is 4MB. They use different processors as well.

Actually that's wrong. The T87 and T87A use the exact same CPU (including both having 4MB of flash memory). They are also pin compatible and can be interchanged.

Actually that's wrong. The T87 and T87A use the exact same CPU (including both having 4MB of flash memory). They are also pin compatible and can be interchanged.

I don't mean to be argumentative, but I was quoting Ross Myers on that one, specifically in regard to asking if it was possible to flash a T87A with T87 software. He may have had a slip of the tongue though. File size does suggest a 4MB flash though, as after compression they come in at over 3MB in size.

From Ross:

Not possible to roll back, different CPU's, 3Mb vs 4Mb.

I don't mean to be argumentative, but I was quoting Ross Myers on that one, specifically in regard to asking if it was possible to flash a T87A with T87 software. He may have had a slip of the tongue though. File size does suggest a 4MB flash though, as after compression they come in at over 3MB in size.

From Ross:

You cannot flash a T87A with T87 software because the T87A boot loader requires proper signatures to even accept the download. That, and the T87A's main OS boot location is different than the the T87 OSes. Yes, the T87A flash images are ~3MB, that's just because they optimized the T87A boot loader to allow less than 4MB to be downloaded, whereas the T87 boot loader is more primitive.

But Ross is wrong about the CPU. They are the same. And it is actually possible to interchange T87 and T87A software, if you replace the boot loader, along with other certain changes.

• 2 weeks later...

Superchips says that they are able to tune the 8-speed:

https://superchips.com/gm-8-speed-transmission-tuning-now-supported/

Has someone already experience with it (flashpaq or dashpaq)?

I don't think they can do 2017's the TCM is different. T87A vs T87 before 2017.

This thread seems to have died .. anyone actually get their trans tuned via this "new way"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got mine done from a local shop using HP Tuners. I sent my TCM to HP Tuners before hand and paid $200 to have it unlocked. I am very pleased with the tune. It helped clean up the 8 speed clunk as well. Still there but doesn't happen as often or as hard. I would be willing to share my file if anyone goes the HP Tuners route. I have a 2017 Denali 6.2 with bolt-on's.

Edited by wildlyfe200
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a brand new 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT premium z71 with 5.3L and 8 speed trans. I have had the low speed shift clunks since it was new off the lot. I actually noticed it when I did the test drive. The phenomenal interior/features and awesome engine sold me on the truck but man that shift clunk is annoying. Also notice slight clunking when driving over bumps at low speeds. Not sure what I'm gonna do, might try a programmer that works with the 8 speed if I can find one. Other than the low speed clunks the truck is a dream to drive !

I purchased a brand new 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT premium z71 with 5.3L and 8 speed trans. I have had the low speed shift clunks since it was new off the lot. I actually noticed it when I did the test drive. The phenomenal interior/features and awesome engine sold me on the truck but man that shift clunk is annoying. Also notice slight clunking when driving over bumps at low speeds. Not sure what I'm gonna do, might try a programmer that works with the 8 speed if I can find one. Other than the low speed clunks the truck is a dream to drive !

Yes the tuning helps but doesnt get rid of it. What the tuner did was keep it in each gear longer and make it downshift sooner so most of the time it kind of lurches foward instead of clunking. GM knows the issue exists but isnt going to do anything about it 10 speeds are coming next.

• 4 weeks later...

Lets revive this thread a bit. Has anyone heard of TRIFECTA Performance? They are claiming to be able to tune the 2017 8-speed T87A TCM.

My question to them:

I have a 2017 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab with the 6.2L engine and 8-speed transmission. The big question is "are you able to tune the T87A TCM?" As far as I know, only HP Tuners can get into this TCM.

Their response:

Thank for your inquiry and interest in TRIFECTA Performance products for your Sierra. Not only can we recalibrate the transmission strategy in T87A based vehicles, we can do it without requiring an 'unlock' like other companies.

Our programming takes care of all the shortcomings the truck has from the factory . It will essentially feel the way it should have from the factory, only with more power on tap and a few more custom features to boot:

https://www.trifectaperformance.com/forums/store/category/166-62l/

Advantage - Meant for stock, but is automatically compatible with most name brand intakes, and ALL exhaust parts (you can disable codes with ezflash). No datalogging support, however if your car is stock or mostly stock, none is required.

Advantage+ - allows speedometer recalibration for aftermarket wheels and tires, and includes a TRIFECTA flash loader.

Elite - Full aftermarket hardware support with unlimited data logging. You can swap parts around and we will provide updates for them, as well as fulfill any reasonable requests

- Its octane adaptive: Meaning this is not a '93 octane only tune'. This is a full fledged calibration for both he engine and transmission. You can use 87-93 octane as you see fit and the computer will self adjust power output. You will see best gains and MPG on 93 however.

- You can flash back to stock at any time using our software. The factory calibration is included with the file we provide you so you can quickly and easily switch from Custom to Factory for any dealer visits

- You have Driver Selectable Vehicle Modes: These are custom driving profiles we programmed into the calibration. You switch between them using the Cruise Control button. We include an ECO mode and a Performance mode you can switch back and forth to, on the fly. When CC is On you are in ECO mode. When CC is Off you are in the Performance mode

As you can see from the above description, Advantage is for 100% stock vehicles. It does not include any sort of customization to the programming for non-stock parts. Any changes you need done for larger tire/wheels or would fall under the Adv+ package and any other further individualization (intakes, etc) would require an Elite purchase.

The package comes with the TRIFECTA EZ Flash cable as part of the purchase price. You use it, to interface a laptop or Windows tablet that you provide, along with our software, to your vehicle and install the calibration.

Lets revive this thread a bit. Has anyone heard of TRIFECTA Performance? They are claiming to be able to tune the 2017 8-speed T87A TCM.

My question to them:

I have a 2017 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab with the 6.2L engine and 8-speed transmission. The big question is "are you able to tune the T87A TCM?" As far as I know, only HP Tuners can get into this TCM.

Their response:

Thank for your inquiry and interest in TRIFECTA Performance products for your Sierra. Not only can we recalibrate the transmission strategy in T87A based vehicles, we can do it without requiring an 'unlock' like other companies.

Our programming takes care of all the shortcomings the truck has from the factory . It will essentially feel the way it should have from the factory, only with more power on tap and a few more custom features to boot:

Advantage - Meant for stock, but is automatically compatible with most name brand intakes, and ALL exhaust parts (you can disable codes with ezflash). No datalogging support, however if your car is stock or mostly stock, none is required.

Advantage+ - allows speedometer recalibration for aftermarket wheels and tires, and includes a TRIFECTA flash loader.

Elite - Full aftermarket hardware support with unlimited data logging. You can swap parts around and we will provide updates for them, as well as fulfill any reasonable requests

- Its octane adaptive: Meaning this is not a '93 octane only tune'. This is a full fledged calibration for both he engine and transmission. You can use 87-93 octane as you see fit and the computer will self adjust power output. You will see best gains and MPG on 93 however.

- You can flash back to stock at any time using our software. The factory calibration is included with the file we provide you so you can quickly and easily switch from Custom to Factory for any dealer visits

- You have Driver Selectable Vehicle Modes: These are custom driving profiles we programmed into the calibration. You switch between them using the Cruise Control button. We include an ECO mode and a Performance mode you can switch back and forth to, on the fly. When CC is On you are in ECO mode. When CC is Off you are in the Performance mode

As you can see from the above description, Advantage is for 100% stock vehicles. It does not include any sort of customization to the programming for non-stock parts. Any changes you need done for larger tire/wheels or would fall under the Adv+ package and any other further individualization (intakes, etc) would require an Elite purchase.

The package comes with the TRIFECTA EZ Flash cable as part of the purchase price. You use it, to interface a laptop or Windows tablet that you provide, along with our software, to your vehicle and install the calibration.

Check out their work on the mid size truck. They have lots of happy customers with 2017 Colorado / Canyon V6, and those use the T87A also...

• Like 1

Check out their work on the mid size truck. They have lots of happy customers with 2017 Colorado / Canyon V6, and those use the T87A also...

So these guys are REALLY able to flash a T87A on a 2017 8-speed using their "Advantage" level package?

And they are REALLY able to datalog and adjust a T87A on a 2017 8-speed using their "Elite" level package?

Tells us what you know, billytruck!!! =) We need to know what you know :)

Also, I PM'ed you if you are comfortable calling my cell phone to give me some advice. If not, I totally understand.

Wow the gains on the webpage seem pretty aggressive. Im assuming that is 93 octane with the 6.2L.

"6.2L gains: up to +45 ft-lbs torque, +22 horsepower (peak gains of up to 31 ft-lbs torque, +16 horsepower"

Anyone know why they specify the peak gains and them being lower than the first set of numbers they give? I'm trying to look at the dyno graph on my phone but cant read the numbers.