Foglights Auto On

In my drawing once you know the impedance of the relay's coil you'd be able to calculate the RC constant you need for the timer or you could go by trial an error if you don't know the math.

Colby without the auto dimming headlights, do you even need the relay or the rc circuit? Can't you just add a diode between your low beam control (not sure where that is on the BCM inputs though) and the fog lamp control? The two inputs in parallel would allow an either or logic state as well

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

In my drawing once you know the impedance of the relay's coil you'd be able to calculate the RC constant you need for the timer or you could go by trial an error if you don't know the math.

Thanks. ill be doing some testing next week. ill have to make time for it.

Colby without the auto dimming headlights, do you even need the relay or the rc circuit? Can't you just add a diode between your low beam control (not sure where that is on the BCM inputs though) and the fog lamp control? The two inputs in parallel would allow an either or logic state as well

The issue with just a diode is that's what ppl have been doing already and they can't turn the fog lights off if they want. I know im a pain in the ass for wanting to turn them off haha.

No you are not a pain in the ass, you want what you want. We all have our reasons. I am not sure what point on the BCM that Colby is taking the logic low for the low beams, but if there is a momentary logic low his design will work. If there is not a momentary logic low (which I did not think there was or I would have used it) you would need to do my circuit.

Well Gabby,

Did you get your fog lights working the way you want?

i managed to go get some stuff yesterday but didnt do anything more then that. im just getting over a cold so that didn't help things haha.

hopefully its nice at some point this week and stops raining so i can get this going.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update here. Have the circuit made (not pretty but gotta test things out first and figure out wire lenght but the circuit is made (lambys)

Wife had a car accident last week. Shes OK but we've been car shopping since it got written off.

Maybe this weekend I'll have time to put it in finally.

P_20170426_153522.jpg

P_20170418_115817.jpg

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DC using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

so an update. I finally had time to get this going after a few hectic months.

apparently my pins were not strong enough. when i tried to push them into the wires. they broke. ill have to look at another way to do it and report back.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread...

I currently have the 10/22 diode jump on my 2018 Silverado, as posted by  @Spurshot.  It'll work for now, but isn't exactly what I'm looking for long-term. 

Ideally, I want the fogs to "auto" on, regardless of day or night, low beam or high beam (10/22 diode only turns them on at night). However, I want to be able to turn on my parking lights at the boat ramp without turning on my fogs (10/22 diode doesn't allow this). This seems similar to what the OP was hoping for.

The original @Lamby66 circuit gets close, but wouldn't come on during the day with DRLs, if I'm understanding it right.

Only thing I can think to do is to use three diodes: one from high beams to fogs (X5-18 to X5-10), one from low beams to fogs (X4-1 to X5-10), and one from DRLs to fogs (X4-7 to X5-10). This should keep the fogs on during daytime with DRLs, and at night with both low beams or high beams. Then, at the boat ramp, I can turn my knob from auto to parking lights, which shouldn't trigger the fogs unless I press the fog switch. 

Sorry if this was covered in the foglights to high beams thread... I tried to go through all of it.

Has anyone tried this on the 16-18 Silverados? Not sure if it will work since DRLs and parking lights are technically the same light, albeit different signals. Or does anyone have any other ideas? I've got a few more diodes laying around, and hope to try it this week if I get some time.