Wifi Hotspot on while Truck is off?

Hey guys, I'm new here. Have had my 2017 Silverado 2500 Midnight Edition for about 2 months now, love it.

Onstar just announced a new Unlimited data plan for $20 a month. Which is much better than previous plans. I am thinking about signing up for this. However the big thing is I want to be able to use it while camping etc. So I am looking for a way to have the wifi hotspot on while the truck is off. preferably something I could put on a switch so that it could be on the ignition like it is now most of the time but switched to direct battery when needed.

I have no idea where the wifi module is even located I assume it is either part of or attached to the onstar module. But I would like to get it so it could be always on with as little other devices on at the same time to save battery. I appreciate any input

Here's a little eye candy!

2017 Duramax

The vehicle ignition needs to be in the “Run” or “Accessory” position for the Wi-Fi hotspot to be active.

The coverage for the in-vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot depends on the wireless carrier network coverage. When you are in areas where coverage fluctuates, performance may be impacted. In a 2G-coverage area, the Wi-Fi hotspot will not work. In a 3G-coverage area, streaming data or video to your devices may result in the degradation of your service.

The Wi-Fi hotspot has a range of 50ft. from your vehicle.

https://www.onstar.com/us/en/services/coveragemaps.html

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 1

Here's how we do it. Plug the camper into the truck (keeps the truck batteries charged), leave the ignition in on position and lock the doors with other key or OnStar app. Signal reaches the entire campsite.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Edited by calgator73
  • Like 1

Forget camping....cancel the wifi at the house. Pretty cheap deal.

I just swapped to the unlimited att plan, I've burned through way more than 22gb (they claim to throttle after 22gb) in the past 4-5 days, still able to stream videos. I haven't noticed it getting throttled.

• Like 2

Forget camping....cancel the wifi at the house. Pretty cheap deal.

I just swapped to the unlimited att plan, I've burned through way more than 22gb (they claim to throttle after 22gb) in the past 4-5 days, still able to stream videos. I haven't noticed it getting throttled.

I was trying to figure out a way to make that work. $20 unlimited is way cheaper than the crappy DSL I'm stuck with at my house.

Well I did alot of digging the past few days and found electrical schematics and documentation over at https://www.gmupfitter.com/pdflists/view/39

But the news is bad, basically the radio and VCIM (onstar module) are controlled by the BCM (body control module) via a serial interface, it is not just a 12v acc on wire that turns them on/off like the good ole days. So from what I could tell it would basically take tricking the BCM into thinking the key was in and in the accy position.Pretty sure that is not easily possible. so looks like calgator73's idea with plugging in and leaving the key in is about the only option which I wanted to avoid.

If anyone had other ideas I'm happy to tear into things to test stuff out :)

But I wonder if leaving it on (in Acc mode) and connected to a camper and the camper being connected to street power will actually charge the truck as well as the camper.

But I wonder if leaving it on (in Acc mode) and connected to a camper and the camper being connected to street power will actually charge the truck as well as the camper.

Yes. It is active when on, RAP and ACC.

Turn key on and plug a battery tender to the truck. Would that work okay?

Yep