Wifi Hotspot on while Truck is off?

But I wonder if leaving it on (in Acc mode) and connected to a camper and the camper being connected to street power will actually charge the truck as well as the camper.

That works fine. Not sure how long ACC mode will stay on though. Is it on a timer or is it sensitive to battery charge state? Know it works fine in on position.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

Sounds like some good ideas, what is not a good idea while camping is receiving a work text around 7:30 AM, turning the key accessory, firing up the laptop, putting out a stupid little fire and then forgetting to turn the accessory switch off. Then while sitting around the fire 13 hours later the automatic headlights kick on once it gets dark enough. I knew immediately what I had done, the truck although sluggish did start. LOL.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I installed a battery separator and an “Almond” WiFi extender.  Replaced my factory battery and added two yellow top Gelcell batteries.  When I have it on I chain my truck to the trailer and add a lock.  When dry camping I plug in my Yamaha 2K generator to the trailer when I’m getting low on juice.  

My my wife and I have iPads, cellphones and a Roku.  We have an Apple TV too but for some reason we need more bandwidth to keep it from being interrupted.  

Ill be adding three 100watt solar panels and a 2K inverter next.  Got the parts, just need the time.

• 4 months later...

I have been running my 15 Silverado 5.3 as was suggested, ACC position with the trailer plugged in and on shore power for an hour now. I should have brought  a voltmeter but I believe it is charging the vehicle battery. If it isn’t the wife isn’t going to be too happy in the morning.

Update: verified with a voltmeter that the trailer connection does indeed charge the truck. I measured about 13.48 volts while plugged in and the fan on the trailer inverter runs periodically. 

Edited by sesykes71

How are you guys charging the battery and leaving it in acc? I’ve tried using a 12 volt  6 amp trickle charger and have woken to dead batteries twice now. First time I thought I may have left the lights on or something like that but twice is no fluke. Is 6 amps not strong enough?

I only use mine while it is plugged into our travel trailer with the trailer plugged into shore power. I verified that the trailer brings the battery to 13.50 volts. Measure someplace on the vehicle, I used the wire going to my cap light, with the vehicle off you should measure about 12.50 volts. With the ignition switch in ACC  and the charger on you should get about 13.60. Probably your trickle charger just doesn’t  provide enough current to overcome the load from the WiFi module.

• Thanks 1

I am using the trailer connection. With a trailer plugged in and on shore power the trailer keeps the truck charged. I only use this when camping. 

Small trickle chargers don’t provide enough current. You can use a dc power supply but must limit the voltage to 13.6 to 13.8 volts.

I've been doing this for 3-4 years now. The battery tender on my 5th wheel charges the truck's battery. I just make sure to turn off the radio (press and hold the power button) and disable the auto headlamps. Plug in the trailer wire and we're good to go.

This worked on my gasser and my new diesel.

• 5 months later...
On 3/20/2017 at 3:47 PM, Chris Schultz said:

Well I did alot of digging the past few days and found electrical schematics and documentation over at https://www.gmupfitter.com/pdflists/view/39

But the news is bad, basically the radio and VCIM (onstar module) are controlled by the BCM (body control module) via a serial interface, it is not just a 12v acc on wire that turns them on/off like the good ole days. So from what I could tell it would basically take tricking the BCM into thinking the key was in and in the accy position.Pretty sure that is not easily possible. so looks like calgator73's idea with plugging in and leaving the key in is about the only option which I wanted to avoid.

If anyone had other ideas I'm happy to tear into things to test stuff out :)

I have tried most things.  I finally went to Walmart and bought a 15 amp Stanley charger.  Use wifi for 24 hrs and never a problem.  My camper would not keep it charged woke up next morn 100%  dead battery.   I tried other chargers stanley works great.

• 1 month later...

Speaking of the built in WiFi, does anyone have a problem with the infotainment system disconnecting from the WiFi and never reconnecting until the truck is turned off and everything is reset? I drive a 2017 Duramax and this happens on every trip multiple times. I listen to Pandora most of the time, so I lose it when this happens.