Adding Power Outlet?

Hello everyone, I am wanting to purchase a power outlet for my truck like the one pictured below. I don't have one and it bugs me because we have one in the Acadia and I know I would use it all the time. I am wondering if it's a BCM thing or just plug and play with the addition of wires. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! ca69199b3b9509cd9e51a7b1b6a98dc4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In 87 I bought a S10, it didn't have a lighter, but the wire was there and hot.

I kinda think that the wiring might be there because I didn't see any wiring harnesses on the gmpartsdirect page, but I'm not sure.

If you don't have one you would have to add an inverter. While I may be all about retrofitting things, you're probably better off going aftermarket on this.

I'm afraid of this, but it is just so much cleaner for factory and if I can buy that pice pictured for 50 bucks I figured why not try.

I have been looking and I can't find anything about an inverter or wiring for the lower dash on gmpartsdirect. Would it possibly just come straight from the BCM or what?

Page 287 of the 2016 Upfitter shows the 110-Volt AC Power Outlet schematic.

Looks like you'll need the receptacle, an inverter like Darth_Vader says, (1) circuit from the receptacle to the X61A Junction Box (Circuit # 300), and (1) Circuit from the inverter to the X51R Fuse Panel (Circuit # 4140). Looks doable.

I would buy that panel and install a 2000w inverter somewhere and run some #14 wire to that plug. Then you can plug power tools in and do work. Short of charging a laptop or camera or something I dont really see the point of the outlet. I will likely never use mine as it is useless to me if I cant run power tools off of it. I might even consider disconnecting the factory inverter and rewiring so I can have 2000w. I dont know what the actual plug is rated for but I would venture to guess its probably 15a as I have never seen one rated for less and Im an electrician. But I would certainly double check that before you go getting wild with it should you go this route.

I would buy that panel and install a 2000w inverter somewhere and run some #14 wire to that plug. Then you can plug power tools in and do work. Short of charging a laptop or camera or something I dont really see the point of the outlet. I will likely never use mine as it is useless to me if I cant run power tools off of it. I might even consider disconnecting the factory inverter and rewiring so I can have 2000w. I dont know what the actual plug is rated for but I would venture to guess its probably 15a as I have never seen one rated for less and Im an electrician. But I would certainly double check that before you go getting wild with it should you go this route.

Yeah, the wire powering the factory one is smaller than the cigarette outlets, lol. It's only like 150w.

Archived