First Tank of E85

It doesn't vaporize as well as butane laced winter gasoline.

Sorry for the thread hi jack, but is the practice of adding butane typical? Do any Canuck members know if the refiners use it in Canada? For several years, Petro Canada has advertised their "Winter Gas" w/ no explanation how it differs from any other gas on the market. I know the vary the RVP for the winter & summer months though.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know in my area they sell E85 with "minimum 50% ethanol". So sometimes I get 12 MPG, sometimes I get 9, its so hard to tell. Each gas station has a different blend obviously and half the regular pumps are e10 or e15 now, so its really hard to compare for me. I try to cycle every few fillups with ethanol, but mostly it's a convenience thing for me.

I have noticed that when towing, I get the same MPG with "e85" as I do while not towing, but with gas I get 4-6 MPG less. But that could have just been a coincidence too.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I just dumped 32gallons of this gunk in my tank.

Reg 87 was $2.37

Flex fuel $1.97

So if the 20% savings equates to 20% decrease in mpg, what am I saving?

And at what point do I do a deduct for long term damage. I mean seriously! What's the point?

It doesn't appear to be available in Ontario. I suppose the provincial government hasn't figured out how to sell us e85 at the same price as regular gasoline. Once they do it will be forced down our throats and we'll be told 'it's for the environment'.

Reg 87 was $2.37

Flex fuel $1.97

And at what point do I do a deduct for long term damage. I mean seriously! What's the point?

More power?

I barely get over 3000 on the tach?

3000 RPM? That isn't right and something is wrong. People always hate on ethanol, and it has its problems don't get me wrong, but when used correctly can be a very powerful fuel.

3000 RPM? That isn't right and something is wrong. People always hate on ethanol, and it has its problems don't get me wrong, but when used correctly can be a very powerful fuel.

Haha.....I don't need the power. I need better MPG! I never get tach above 2800. Don't need to. For the most part. Should have bought the 1500 for what I do. I bought the 2500 just in case. Probably just because it gives me more clout at the stop lights. Lol....Idk!

Haha.....I don't need the power. I need better MPG! I never get tach above 2800. Don't need to. For the most part. Should have bought the 1500 for what I do. I bought the 2500 just in case. Probably just because it gives me more clout at the stop lights. Lol....Idk!

I got ya now! Thought your engine wouldn't go over 3000. Agree with the MPG comment, but if you are paying 20% less then it's not as big of a deal if your MPGs go down 20% correct?

Reg 87 was $2.37

Flex fuel $1.97

It has been made abundantly clear that the spread between fuels has to be a certain margin. For instance, for E85 to be cost effective, the spread has to be about 50 cents to break even and even more to make it cost less per mile to use.

The mental straight jacket many put themselves in is thinking only in terms of MPG alone. The true nature of any fuel you use is how much it costs per mile to use it. From your numbers, E85 is never going to be worth it. The price spreads vary across the country. Some areas have great price spreads that make it a good choice, others do not.

And long term damage? Did you fall for that internet folklore? There are many folks that have tore down engines that have been primarily on E85 and deposits and wear are lower on E85 than regular or premium gasoline. Some of those engines fuel injected, others using carburetors. It doesn't matter, the results are the same. if you thought it was gunk, then that begs the question why you felt compelled to fill up with it? Or was your post just a troll thing going on to start a argument? After all, you call it gunk and you throw out stuff that sounds like you read it in some biased article. Me smells a troll.

See how damaged this high performance V8 out of a Camaro looks after getting thousands of miles put on it using E85......

http://www.camaros.net/forums/13-performance/143372-engine-wear-e85.html

It has been made abundantly clear that the spread between fuels has to be a certain margin. For instance, for E85 to be cost effective, the spread has to be about 50 cents to break even and even more to make it cost less per mile to use.

The mental straight jacket many put themselves in is thinking only in terms of MPG alone. The true nature of any fuel you use is how much it costs per mile to use it. From your numbers, E85 is never going to be worth it. The price spreads vary across the country. Some areas have great price spreads that make it a good choice, others do not.

And long term damage? Did you fall for that internet folklore? There are many folks that have tore down engines that have been primarily on E85 and deposits and wear are lower on E85 than regular or premium gasoline. Some of those engines fuel injected, others using carburetors. It doesn't matter, the results are the same. if you thought it was gunk, then that begs the question why you felt compelled to fill up with it? Or was your post just a troll thing going on to start a argument? After all, you call it gunk and you throw out stuff that sounds like you read it in some biased article. Me smells a troll.

See how damaged this high performance V8 out of a Camaro looks after getting thousands of miles put on it using E85......

http://www.camaros.net/forums/13-performance/143372-engine-wear-e85.html

Mindsweeper......Your ability to decuss/debate on the forums far overshadows your ability to detect trolls.

Do you have a small 2stroke engine. Or perhaps you have a carbureted snowmobile? The separation of ethanol kills. Reeks havoc on older seals & gaskets. Turns rubber into jelly.

When I snowmobile, I purchase all my fuel in Wisconsin. Where their pumps say "no ethanol" seems to work for me.

My thoughts....I threw the gunk in my truck so I can see for myself. Power, mpg, advantage, disadvantage.

Should make sense. The only way to know, unfortunately, is to try it?

No I don't. Haven't had a two stroke engine in a vehicle since a Detroit diesel two stroke in a dump truck several decades ago. But I do have a lot of OPE 4 strokes that get E10 frequently and have never had a problem. And I have been using ethanol laced gasoline since the late 70's (many of those vehicles with carburetors) and blends like E20, E30, E50, and E85 for most of this century with newer vehicles that were TBI or port injected and never had a single fuel related problem. Part of using a fuel is proper fuel management and storage. Ethanol only seem to become an issue when stored improperly or in vented fuel tanks. Now, given that many do not store fuel at home for their vehicles, and there are no two stroke engines in vehicles being made today that I know of, you seem to be contentious and wanting to just start an argument instead of a discussion. After all, the discussion here was about E85 and vehicles, primarily the flex fuel variety. I know of no one who has tried E85 in a two stroke engine. But weirder things have been known to happen.

Archived