Cutting the Cable, Looking for some advice

Kodi is great. Haven't used it on a Firestick, but used it on several other platforms.

OTA is MUCH better now than 'back in the day' when it was analog. Where I grew up, we had one and a half channels (1 channel always came in, the other at night). Now, same house, same antenna, same downlead, now has @15 watchable channels. With the switch to digital and the transmitter power being used so much more efficiently, it is a huge improvement.

Also have HDHomerun and a Tablo DVR. Both have their uses. With the Tablo, you better be patient. The HDHomerun (on the second or third model, I keep selling them) likes to reboot or re-detect its channel lineup in the middle of the night when some stations are off the air. So I lose those and have to re-detect the channel lineup.

I watch about 4 hours of TV a week. I'm kind of a TV DX'er is my vice. That stacker antenna is a great piece of reception hardware.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Antenna for TV. Get whatever cheapest internet only service makes sense for you. Use a TabloTV box if you need DVR. Use a Roku for connecting to everything

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

we just put up an OTA antenna onto our Garage/Mancave, and we pick up an incredible 23 channels! we mainly watch Netflix in our house although on Sundays, dad will tune into the NASCAR race and watch that. (these days, TV is just the same old crap reality shows and sitcoms, and we don't even watch the news anymore because its all doom and gloom)

we just put up an OTA antenna onto our Garage/Mancave, and we pick up an incredible 23 channels! we mainly watch Netflix in our house although on Sundays, dad will tune into the NASCAR race and watch that. (these days, TV is just the same old crap reality shows and sitcoms, and we don't even watch the news anymore because its all doom and gloom)

My online DIRECTV is good for ESPN and other sports channels, hbo, and when I'm bored I do enjoy GSN because Family Feud is like always on.

My Antenna is there for NASCAR and football

Is your house already wired and set up for Frontier? If so, I would try and get the install fee waived from Frontier and go with the 100/100. Tell them that you're considering switching from Spectrum, but that's a sticking point.

Also, if they don't have any yearly plans, you can ask spectrum how long after you cancel, before you can qualify as a new customer again. It'll vary from 2-4 months.

The house is not wired for Frontier. I was thinking the 100/100 would be the way to go.

Must be over 30 days away to be considered a new customer with Spectrum. We discussed having it disconnected and then putting it in the step daughters name, but quickly decided that was not a road we wanted to travel.

I have to pick out an antenna and get this project started....

As was mentioned earlier, PlayStation Vue looks interesting. You do not need a PlayStation to use it but will need some type of streaming device. The Roku and Chrome dongle will work or any device you have that can be streamed to your TV. The DVR is cloud based and requires no extra equipment. No contract and you buy a package similar to cable. The cheapest package is $29.99 and the most expensive is $64.99 and includes 90 channels with all of the ESPNs along with HBO and Showtime. The site showed only one of my local channels but the antenna will handle that as long as I don't want to record something that comes OTA. I suspect some other streaming services will offer similar packages sooner or later but just saving the equipment costs is a plus.

Mike

• 6 months later...

I'm confused, I grew up with antennas they sucked big time. I now have whole home DIRECTV for 80$ per month with most everything except movie channels, they do free every couple months and I record then. I down load tons of stuff free anytime. Don't get it.

Antenna will give you the best quality hd picture if you can receive the signal. Look at tivo Romero ota box. Or look at tablo.

Antenna will give you the best quality hd picture if you can receive the signal. Look at tivo Romero ota box. Or look at tablo.

Since I’ve posted this response I’ve tried OTA works great depending we’re you live. I use Netflix 9$ per month tried sling direct tv now. I called direct tv after having them 20 years to cancel. Now I have direct tv with everything I had before for 59$ per month plus HBO and still have whole home and recording. Pays to research, I even have it on my phone, totally worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived