The new exhaust flapper design

It looks like GM redesigned the exhaust flapper on the 17. This picture is from a 5.3 l extended cab. It looks longer, has a beefier looking spring, and is now located in front of the muffler.

Anyone cut one off and see if it's different inside? Curious if they put a dampener on it so it wouldn't rattle like the first ones they made on 14 to 16s?4f231a3e994a32c66a4dd79b5da720ec.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I like the flexibility. Normally it's clamped open with range AFM to turn off v4. But if I'm driving on a family road trip I unclamp flapper and remove range for quiet v4 and better mpg.

My flapper has been rattling again so dealer is replacing it with the newer 17 exhaust under warranty. Guess I won't be clamping it open anymore.

Edited by ShamrockShooter
  • Like 1

My flapper has been rattling again so dealer is replacing it with the newer 17 exhaust under warranty.

Is your dealer replacing the entire exhaust under warranty? That seems excessive just one defective part.

Is your dealer replacing the entire exhaust under warranty? That seems excessive just one defective part.

There is a bulletin from GM for the issue under warranty. There is no way to fix the rattle in the flapper without replacing the entire exhaust. Probably why they redesigned it for 2017. Yes it is a minor issue but I really don't give a damn. When you buy a 53k sticker vehicle you expect an exhaust that doesn't rattle. Even my kids heard the rattle and asked what the noise was under the truck. They thought it was chipmunks.

Of course this would become a moot point if I finally pull the trigger on a borla cat back or muffler swap.[emoji106]

• Like 1

There is a bulletin from GM for the issue under warranty. There is no way to fix the rattle in the flapper without replacing the entire exhaust. Probably why they redesigned it for 2017. Yes it is a minor issue but I really don't give a damn. When you buy a 53k sticker vehicle you expect an exhaust that doesn't rattle. Even my kids heard the rattle and asked what the noise was under the truck. They thought it was chipmunks.

Of course this would become a moot point if I finally pull the trigger on a borla cat back or muffler swap.[emoji106]

I definitely agree, GM should fix. I never gave mine a chance to rattle. My first stop on my way home from the dealership was the EXHAUST SHOP!!! :lol::lol::lol:

amen!!!

That's the exact same valve I find on my 2016 Tahoe 5.3. No wonder I couldn't find a place to put the bolt through. GM caught on to that little trick being done by someone other than a GM "tech".

Oh, well!

• Like 1

That's the exact same valve I find on my 2016 Tahoe 5.3. No wonder I couldn't find a place to put the bolt through. GM caught on to that little trick being done by someone other than a GM "tech".

Oh, well!

I think they underestimate the power of zip ties and duct tape.

• Like 2