The new exhaust flapper design

Just bought a used GM borla kit that has the old flapper design, anyone know if it's possible to take it into GM and get the new design? Haven't put it on yet, seems like from what people are saying, it might be worth it to get the new one.

Bob

Is the new GM / Borla flapper design for both 5.3 and 6.2?

Is the stock exhaust also getting the new flapper design?

:dunno:

Yes it should be, there maybe some OLD new stock around, but mine was "click-ie" so Borla replaced mine with the newer design, looks to flow much better as well.

Borla's 5.3 exhaust has a smaller diameter I-pipe vs the 6.2

The stock exhaust is NOT getting the new flapper. I just had mine replaced a few weeks ago for the flapper squeak and the part is identical.

I expect the squeak to come back sometime in the future ...

The stock GM exhaust should be getting the new "spring" design, physical differences are the new spring has the more circle/octagon shape on the head vs the old square where folks held it open with a screw & nut. Most of what we have seen here is Borla's GM version, there is a similar thread showing the new GM spring here -> (http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/198996-the-new-exhaust-flapper-design/), which was passed down to Borla

New GM design

4f231a3e994a32c66a4dd79b5da720ec.jpg

obviously old design below

gallery_127865_2503_84596.jpg

Seems like a regular shot of Kroil would keep things squeak free - and smellin' good..........

:wtf:

good luck sir, I don't want to be spraying oil in mine.

Just bought a used GM borla kit that has the old flapper design, anyone know if it's possible to take it into GM and get the new design? Haven't put it on yet, seems like from what people are saying, it might be worth it to get the new one.

Bob

No, GM does not warranty the exhaust, Borla owns all the warranty responsibilities and it requires a invoice to get a replacement, you may call Borla and pay for a new I-pipe.

Edited by camcamaro1991

The stock exhaust is NOT getting the new flapper. I just had mine replaced a few weeks ago for the flapper squeak and the part is identical.

I expect the squeak to come back sometime in the future ...

The first time my stock exhaust was replaced it was identical part w flapper behind muffler. Squeak/rattle came back. Went back to dealer and there was a bulletin Feb 17 about new exhaust. So they ordered me a second exhaust with flapper in front of muffler. If your rattle squeak comes back take it to the dealer and tell them to check for a new bulletin for the issue.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

So i installed the GM Borla with the new flapper a few weeks ago. I've noticed the past couple days a faint fluttering/echoing sound on the highway at low rpms (1200). It is a secondary noise to the rumble of the borla. It's not afm, I have v4 off. It's not that loud but just enough I can hear it. I double checked everything and nothing is loose or contacting the frame. My first thought is it's the new flapper.

You can't clamp this one open like the old style. So now I'm thing of drilling a hole through each side of the spring and pinning it open just to see it the noise goes away.

Out of curiosity I took a video of the new borla flapper on warm start up. In V8 idle the valve looks almost 100% closed.

If you watch the spring move on the flapper it basically rotates back to its starting position at idle. I thought it would be more open than that in v8

The new design allows for more exhaust to pass around/underneath it (the valve is much smaller than the original), under varying loads it will change. Have your wife blip the throttle to 4k and watch/video it. cold start and idle is very little load.

Yeah I saw it was a smaller valve too. Perhaps the noise I am hearing at light throttle is air moving around the flapper since it isn't pushing it open much at low rpms. I still have to take the front pipe off to bend the hanger so I will try to pin it open when I do. As long as I have v4 off there is no point to the valve anyway.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/21/2018 at 6:57 PM, BigBlueLB756 said:

Here's the fix for the stock valve.

182338-be0d5b3c24ce5bb59350a976416e8f76.jpg

182337-0781638a757049815f22f3a8dc72e44b.jpg

Twist it clock-wise and clamp it.

Still some good info in this old thread.

Any noticeable changes in exhaust note,, tone or volume?

12 hours ago, steve76t said:

Any noticeable changes in exhaust note,, tone or volume?

Flapper delete alone will just give you more V-4 noise - but only to the finely tuned ear.........

Edited by Krusty