Good afternoon all,

I'll try to make this short and sweet so here's the deal:

1) Gauge Coolant Temp wont respond.

2) I have done the necessary test with the coolant SENDING unit. (Ground out to see if it pegs hot)

3) Used Voltmeter to check for signal to sensor which it has.

4) Checked Fuses. All are good.

5) Rest of gauges work.

And here's where I'm stuck.

Apparently the 1995's don't use stepper motors? (I haven't taken the cluster apart yet) But if they do, I cant find the right ones. Seem to be for 1996 or 1997 and up models. This cluster does not have a conventional pigtail that plugs into it but rather the cluster "sinks" into the adapter. The circuit board is flexible. Does anyone have any info on this type of cluster?

If its a simple stepper motor or resistor I can fix it. (I think, lol) However, rather than replace with a refurbished or used one where the mileage will not be correct I'd rather upgrade to a digital cluster if possible or even swap in a later model chevy cluster. Anyone know if this is possible? One thing ive found out with the 95's is that it isn't very compatible with other models.

Please ask any questions that you may have. I look forward to your responses!

96 is still analog, temp and oil...alternator.

sinks in with the flexible same stuff.

they bounce around enough, it is to doubt them.. try another cluster, to know to fix your own.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I understand that it's analog but wasn't sure if analog to digital conversion kits were available or if anybody else has had any experience with this.

If you are lost, why not send it to a speedo shop and let them repair it? Typically a few hours and less than $100 bucks.

And there's another good idea if a new sending unit fails to fix the problem. They would be able to tell you for sure if it's the gauge.

I've already replaced then sending unit so I'm pretty sure it's the gauge...I've looked at sending off but if it was something as easy as a stepper motor why spend the money and not learn anything...that's why people visit forums anyway, right? ?

And I said I was stuck, not lost... lol

Archived