Yup...another header thread.

Having trouble deciding what brand to get. I know the big three that are usually recommended (ARH, Kooks, SS Works) at the moment though i'm just not looking to drop 1500$ not counting labor on 30hp (if that) and sound. So i had been set on TSP for some time, as i think that is within my budget. Then i discovered Doug Thorely also has a header/Y-pipe combo for similar price and in 1 3/4ths rather than 1 7/8ths, which from my research i had read that 1 3/4ths was the way to go for more power down low than high up in the RPM range. Which realistically is more useful to me.

Does anyone have experience with both? Even if it's not on the new Gen V engines i'm just curious as to the quality of both and if one is better than the other. I know Ryan has TSP headers and for the most part he had a painless installation other than a little rub.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never had DT, so I can kind of butt out of this thread :P.

I forget though, do you have 5.3 or 6.2?

If 6.2, OBX is another option for you. They are TSP price range on Ebay.

5.3L. I have a friend with TSP on his camero and says they're fine. I guess i just see 1 bad review every now and then and it makes me worry. As this will be a long term investment i want them to last, and not leak.

5.3L. I have a friend with TSP on his camero and says they're fine. I guess i just see 1 bad review every now and then and it makes me worry. As this will be a long term investment i want them to last, and not leak.

Cool, completely understand.

That set of ARH in the FS forum is a good deal, if you spend a few more bucks for the higher end and don't mind used.

Not a bad deal at all, i could keep an eye out in the FS section honestly. Though at the moment i don't have the money just wondering what to go with. There's a thread on tundra talk that scares me about Thorely's and there is an absolute ton of positive reviews for TSP.

Anyone install something like this on their 14 or up silverado? This is the one I like and one day will install myself. Just wondering how hard a job like this is as I haven't performed a lot of exhaust work. I turn wrenches on my vehicles any chance I get/need to.

2c46bfb079984f8a8e127edf12171a0f.jpg

2014 Chevy silverado Z71 DCSB w/Bilstein 5100 level

If you get a cheaper brand do yourself a favor and them powder coated. That will prevent any issues with rust and corrosion.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My TSP are about a year old, no signs of rust and I live in the rust capital of the world. Only some discoloration, but I have seen that on all headers that are not ceramic or heat coated.

PC would be nice for looks though, but it's overkill in my opinion. I guess I shouldn't say that , as I don't know much about pace setters or some other cheaper brands.

Anyone install something like this on their 14 or up silverado? This is the one I like and one day will install myself. Just wondering how hard a job like this is as I haven't performed a lot of exhaust work. I turn wrenches on my vehicles any chance I get/need to.

2c46bfb079984f8a8e127edf12171a0f.jpg

Its not all that bad, people have done it on their back. I prefer a lift ;). As long as you have the tools and time, it's isn't that hard of a task to complete. Having a second set of hands is nice though, for when you put the new header in and try to hold it in place when getting the first bolts in without the gaskets moving too much.

I have the TSP with ORY and have no complaints. I had a slight fitment issue with mine but everything worked out great. They also have excellent customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My TSP are about a year old, no signs of rust and I live in the rust capital of the world. Only some discoloration, but I have seen that on all headers that are not ceramic or heat coated.

PC would be nice for looks though, but it's overkill in my opinion. I guess I shouldn't say that , as I don't know much about pace setters or some other cheaper brands.

I just mentioned it because rust and corrosion seem to be the most common issues on the cheaper brands.

I just mentioned it because rust and corrosion seem to be the most common issues on the cheaper brands.

True, I have seen it before (just never have experienced it.)

So as far as getting the old manifolds out and the new headers in, is it necessary to remove parts and stuff in the way? Or, for the most part, they just wiggle out and the new ones wiggle in there? It will be a little while longer for me, I am just taking in info now so I am ready when I hit 100,000 miles.

Archived