Yup...another header thread.

no other parts to other than manifolds, Y-pipe, spark plugs and wires and move the heater hose over on the pass side. Drop the passenger header in from the top and driver up from the bottom eazy peezy!

RT

Thanks. I am getting excited about it even though I am at least a year away, lol.

2014 Chevy silverado Z71 DCSB w/Bilstein 5100 level

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found it super easy to attack through the wheel wells. Take the liners out and have at it.

3921087352ae4f6c45773a986a1f2e55.jpg

1b538c7ababa6b551808b48f05a19758.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If you get a cheaper brand do yourself a favor and them powder coated. That will prevent any issues with rust and corrosion.

A plus on the Thorley's is they're ceramic coated, wouldn't that theoretically help with rust? I don't really know anything about ceramic coating. Though i imagine i could cerakote them through a gunsmith and save versus powder coat. IIRC it will withstand well above 400F. Though i think cerakote has coating designed for automotive applications as well.

A plus on the Thorley's is they're ceramic coated, wouldn't that theoretically help with rust? I don't really know anything about ceramic coating. Though i imagine i could cerakote them through a gunsmith and save versus powder coat. IIRC it will withstand well above 400F. Though i think cerakote has coating designed for automotive applications as well.

Ceramic coating is supposed to be better than powder coating.

Ive had 2 sets of Thorleys ona 2004 and a 2010 ........made good power down low installed very easy my last set on my 2010 are 6 yrs old and the y pipe is rusting it was ceramic coated but the pipe itself is a very thin thin guage ..... the coating on the headers has gone away for about 2" away from the flange at the head on every cylinder and the collectors flanges are rusty ....... IMO the ceramic coating was poor quality the headers are still solid but the coating should have held up way better IMO I do live where we have winters salt etc but that should not effect the headers high up onn the head .......... be nice if you buy these plain steel and get them coated yourself with a quality coating ........ FWIW

Ive had 2 sets of Thorleys ona 2004 and a 2010 ........made good power down low installed very easy my last set on my 2010 are 6 yrs old and the y pipe is rusting it was ceramic coated but the pipe itself is a very thin thin guage ..... the coating on the headers has gone away for about 2" away from the flange at the head on every cylinder and the collectors flanges are rusty ....... IMO the ceramic coating was poor quality the headers are still solid but the coating should have held up way better IMO I do live where we have winters salt etc but that should not effect the headers high up onn the head .......... be nice if you buy these plain steel and get them coated yourself with a quality coating ........ FWIW

To be clear THORLEY tri Y on s 5.3 work great. If you want power down low. i took a set of 4 tube off and replaced with DT and made a difference I tow my car trailer it helped plus truck went into V4 alot sooner after DT. Install just crappy coating IMO

Good headers are made from 304 Stainless and will not rust. Buy a good set now and forget about em, or buy cheap now and buy em again later.

RT

Agreed.

Good headers are made from 304 Stainless and will not rust. Buy a good set now and forget about em, or buy cheap now and buy em again later.

RT

So TSP it is?

Yup, TSP is 304.

Yeah i went to their site to make sure, i was just unsure if he was classifying TSP as good or not. Though it's within my budget and you've had good results thus far. My friend with his camero has had good results thus far. And there are tons of positive reviews out there for TSP. I'm just gonna stick with TSP as planned.

5R had Thorleys on a 97 Tahoe with a 5.7 for 9 years and only had 1 issue with a leaking gasket. If quality is still the same I recommend them. Granted we don't deal with road salt around these parts.

5R had Thorleys on a 97 Tahoe with a 5.7 for 9 years and only had 1 issue with a leaking gasket. If quality is still the same I recommend them. Granted we don't deal with road salt around these parts.

The DT headers are well built and heavy guage so they not a cheap header the Y pipe not so much :(

my 1 st set coating was better ......I would buy again for a 5.3 the tri Y design is excellent for low end increase especially if you tow

RT

Agree but nobody makes a Tri Y design in stainless so if you got a 5.3 and want more low end torque

a Tri Y design is way to go IMO Ive had 4 tube on a 5.3 and changed to Tri Y for improved towing torque down low FWIW if its a race truck with low gears then 4 tube is fine

Archived