Outside temp gauge with plow on

I noticed this for the first time today but when I have the plow on and I was driving my outside temp gauge would rise all the way up to 100 - 110 degrees. Anyone else experience this when they have their plows on? Where exactly is the outside temp sensor? I have a hard time believing it was getting 110 degree temps when its 20 degrees outside, even if the sensor is in the engine bay which i don’t think it is. Tomorrow is the first day without the plow since I started noticing this so I will see if it does the same thing without the plow blocking the front end.

On 6.6L trucks, the ambient sensor for the engine is in the passenger mirror, but the one for the radio display is still in the grill.

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=4134

Full-Size Truck and SUV Ambient Temperature Display Information
January 22, 2015
How the ambient temperature reading is sent to the radio display varies on 2015 Escalade models, Tahoe, Silverado, Suburban, Sierra, and Yukon models; and 2014 Silverado 1500 and Sierra 1500, depending on the model and radio option.
The following block diagrams may help clarify system operation.
1500 Trucks and All SUVs with Radio RPO IO3
Ambient Air Temperature Sensor >>> (hard wired circuits 636 and 61) >>> ECM >>> (High Speed LAN) >>> BCM >>> (Low Speed LAN) >>> Radio Tuner >>> (LVDS Cable) >>> Integrated Center Stack Display
After the BCM sends the ambient air temperature out on the Low Speed LAN buss, the HVAC Control Module also uses this information for HVAC related requirements.
1500 Trucks and All SUVs with Radio RPOs IO4, IO5, IO6
Ambient Air Temperature Sensor >>> (hard wired circuits 636 and 61) >>> ECM >>> (High Speed LAN) >>> BCM >>> (Low Speed LAN) >>> Radio Tuner >>> (MOST Buss) >>> HMI >>> (LVDS Cable) >>> Integrated Center Stack Display
After the BCM sends the ambient air temperature out on the Low Speed LAN buss, the HVAC Control Module also uses this information for HVAC related requirements.
2500/3500 Trucks with Radio RPO IO3
Ambient Air Temperature Sensor >>> (hard wired circuits 636 and 61) >>> Instrument Panel Cluster >>> (Low Speed LAN) >>> Radio Tuner >>> (LVDS Cable) >>> Integrated Center Stack Display
After the Instrument Panel Cluster sends the ambient air temperature out on the Low Speed LAN buss, the HVAC Control Module also uses this information for HVAC related requirements.
2500/3500 Trucks with Radio RPO IO4, IO5, IO6
Ambient Air Temperature Sensor >>> (hard wired circuits 636 and 61) >>> Instrument Panel Cluster >>> (Low Speed LAN) >>> Radio Tuner >>> (MOST Buss) >>> HMI >>> (LVDS Cable) >>> Integrated Center Stack Display
After the Instrument Panel Cluster sends the ambient air temperature out on the Low Speed LAN buss, the HVAC Control Module also uses this information for HVAC related requirements.
TIP: The Ambient Air Temperature Sensor located in the passenger outside mirror on trucks equipped with the 6.6L diesel engine is not used for the ambient temperature display that is located on the radio or for HVAC-related requirements. This sensor is used only for powertrain requirements. The Ambient Air Temperature Sensor used for the radio display and HVAC is located behind the right side of the grill.

My Dodge would do this..I haven't noticed as much with my GMC but I run a v-plow on this truck and I noticed it doesn't drive the outside temp or engine temp up like the straight blade did on my Dodge. I couldn't run the Dodge on the HWY for very long or it would over heat....the GMC temp stays where its suppose to.

Archived