Need a quick opinion or two on the 3.08 rear

I'm trading my 14 Silverado in a few hours, it's the last one in the color I want that has the $11,500 off but it does have a 3.08 rear. It also has the 5.3 with 6 speed tranny. I don't tow and never will unless I was to need to haul a lawn mower in for service. Will I be ok with the 3.08 or am I going to be sorry for not getting the 3.42? I do want the best MPG but can't go up the $3-4K it would take to get into a similar truck with the 3.42. The truck is a crew cab Z71 LT2 package. Thanks so much guys. I will drive the truck of course but wanted your thoughts.

I'm trading my 14 Silverado in a few hours, it's the last one in the color I want that has the $11,500 off but it does have a 3.08 rear. It also has the 5.3 with 6 speed tranny. I don't tow and never will unless I was to need to haul a lawn mower in for service. Will I be ok with the 3.08 or am I going to be sorry for not getting the 3.42? I do want the best MPG but can't go up the $3-4K it would take to get into a similar truck with the 3.42. The truck is a crew cab Z71 LT2 package. Thanks so much guys. I will drive the truck of course but wanted your thoughts.

I have the 3.08 no problems for me. I tow 5000lb with and it does pretty good, the highway milage is good but if you drive city alot 3.08 might not be the best milage wise. If you dont tow why would you need lower gearing? Actually might tow more with my wife kid 2 mastiffs and all the outher crap they jam in the bed.

GM doesn't produce an under-powered truck. They all carry and tow what is specified for a particular build. Your tow rating will be lower than a similarly equipped truck with a 3.42 but will have ample power for your everyday use. It is definitely not worth a 3-4 thousand dollar price difference, imo. It may discourage a potential buyer at resale time but it is still worth the savings.

Is there another truck on the lot with 3.42? Drive them both. See what you think.

I'm sure there are and I may do that just so I can see the difference but none have the $11,500 discounts so it's either the 3.08 rear or not trade.

I say do it if the price is right, re gearing in the future will cost you probably less then $1500 if needed, you will already have the g80 posi since is a z71. Mpg if keeping it stock should be decent for a truck upper 18s to the gallon or better

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

"I do want the best MPG"

A full size pickup truck is probably not ideal.

Very true, I'm in a full size Silverado with the 6 cyl and love my mpg. Hope going up to an 8 cyl don't hurt to bad.

"I do want the best MPG"

Very true, I'm in a full size Silverado with the 6 cyl and love my mpg. Hope going up to an 8 cyl don't hurt to bad.

"I do want the best MPG"

Get it; you won't be disappointed with the performance based on your usage/needs.

And saving $11,500 doesn't hurt, either.

Should make up for the cost of any future mods!

This forum is bad to double-post, for some reason.

It double posts when you hit the post button more than once. Sometimes you don't see your post right away because someone else is posting. It will eventually post if you only push the button once. In this case you will see that two people were posting at 5:55.

We got her home, love it! Only took 1 hour total at the dealer. Only disappointment is the bed length is 6" shorter than my double cab so my undercover flex bed cover doesn't fit.

Archived