16 2500 first oil change?

Was wondering if you guys can tell me when Im suppose to get the oil change for first time on my 16 gasser? I think gm is doing it for free if I remember correct.

Typically dealers change it around the 25% or less mark for the two freebies. After they launched the program for the oil changes, GM actually dropped the 20% OLM requirement because tons of folk still change every 3000. The maintenance section of your owners manual calls for oil change/tire rotation every 7500 miles.

Changing oil is like Black Magic, no one knows. 6000 is where the DIC says so you are on track. The 3000 is an oil change marketing scam, I had a 14qt Diesel that I ran for 10k, my new jeep says every 10k and Quaker State has an oil that lasts a year. New lawn mowers say never change, just add. The free dealer change is so inconvenient it's not worth it. Did that once and I sat for 2 hours, I could see the truck and they didn't touch it for an hour and I had a specific appointment. I had grease all over the door, running boards,floor mat. I was pissed, the dick service guy said "it's just another $60,000 truck to us" unless the engine, tranny or electronic system dies it will never see the dealer. Now that I run E85 I can go longer.

Why can you run longer with E85? I saw somewhere on the web that when using E85 you should change your oil more often due to oil dilution. Not sure how accurate that is.

I'm at 1100 miles on my truck and will switch to Mobil 1 before 2000, then change at around 20% on the DIC for the rest of the time I own the truck. 3000 mile oil changes are unnecessary, but I like to get the factory fill out early.

The free oil changes are nice if you have a dealership that treats you well and does it in a timely manner. So go by your OLM. My 2016 Burb was at 3% and 7,300 miles when I had my free oil change and tire rotation done.

I changed the oil myself at 500 miles and then again at 2,000 miles, then when the OLM showed as stated above. I just didn't change it from when we purchased the vehicle. They reset it after the dealer changed the oil.

You don't have to change the oil early. It is something I like to do and have done it on all our new vehicles.

Water in E85 can do that, I found something that explains it better.

Therefore, the recommendation that drivers using E85 should change their oil more fequently is, at best, paranoid. Any dealership service department that makes this recommendation is either ignorant, overly cautious, or after your wallet. If you’re running E85 in your flex fuel truck, stick with the standard 5,000 mile oil change interval, make sure to use the recommended E85 oil blend, and don’t worry about it.

That's why our oil changes are more expensive, may as well take advantage of paying for the special oil. Water does form an acid that is bad but our engines are designed for this with coated pistons and the oil.

I have run used oil samples on vehicles using E85 and found nothing that would cause me to do anything different on oil changes. Same thing for biodiesel with diesel engines. Lots of fear mongering seems to circle around bio fuels. I have never used any motor oil that claimed to be specific for E85, and never modified my oil change regimen for biofuels. And the water thing, unless you are actually putting water in your fuel tank, the risk of water being an issue with E85 is pretty remote. The fuel system is sealed per the EPA regulations. You just about would have to purposefully introduce water into the fuel system for it to be an issue. Many folks think that what happened to their lawn mower with it's vented fuel tank, what happened to their boat motor, or some shade tree test they did letting some E85 sit on a work bench for a few weeks is what will happen in their auto/pickup. Then it gets posted all over the internet like it is fact.

But on the first oil change, I will typically change out the factory fill on the engine before 2000 miles and all the drivetrain components no later than 6,000 miles. Then I go to a 5000-6000 mile motor oil change regimen and 50,000 miles on drivetrain stuff. Having the dealer do my oil changes is a non option. Even the "free" ones cost me more than if I just did it myself, and I am not very comfortable with my vehicles ever seeing a dealer again after I buy them unless there is a warranty issue. Too much history there to convince me different. Even with different dealers, same practice.

I'm also one that changes oil early on the first two then DIC or oil analysis from there on. I opted for a dual bypass on this truck so I'm hoping to get 10K minimum. I will admit I am considered an over-maintainer with my vehicles. I like to get factory fluids out sooner rather than later and know that I am putting in good quality fluids. I look at it as reasonably cheap insurance. Most of my vehicles go over 250K before I get rid of them and they didn't consume oil at that mileage.

You could probably do just fine doing 10K oil changes without a bypass filter setup. Heck, even the newer HD commercial truck engines are doing OEM recommended 35K to 50K oil changes without additional bypass filtration, and no oil related issues for clear up to 1 million miles on the engines. I took my little 2006 Jeep Liberty diesel with a 6 qt sump to 11K oil changes and the few UOA's I did on the oil showed doing that was just fine. Even then, I settled in on 9K oil changes with that vehicle.

Nothing wrong with bypass or frequent oil changes either. If those help you sleep better at night, then go for it. But CJ-4, and now the CK-4 diesel oils are pretty darn good and will do a stellar job for a lot of miles. And with a bypass setup, there is no reason to think that you couldn't go way beyond 10K mile oil changes if you had a mind to do so. The bypass will really keep the soot levels down.

I have a factory remanned Detroit engine in my semi that gets 22.5K mile / 500 hr oil changes. 50% longer than the OEM recommendation of 15K miles / 300 hrs. 669,000 miles on the reman and the engine uses maybe 2 qts of oil in 22.5K miles. Not bad for a 12.7L engine that is on its second life, and even using a 10w30 oil as opposed to the normal 15w40 many folks use in that engine. Even when I did use 15w40 early on, oil consumption was the same, hasn't changed a bit in 669,000 miles. See this one easily busting the 1 million mile mark and still doing great. I do used oil samples at each oil change and everything looks as good as they day the engine got dropped into my semi fresh from the factory.

Drained the factory oil at 1200 miles, then changed oil again at 6000. Just me, but I want that metal from new parts rubbing together out of there. I like knowing that those particals are gone as much as possible. Just me, new engines deserve it.

Archived