Hello,

Names Brian, I've come to this site to post about a new purchase of a 2017 Silverado LD 4x4 Crew Cab Rocky Ridge that I purchased in November of 2016 from a dealership in Northern Virginia.

I purchased this stellar truck pre-lifted with the Altitude package from Chevrolet, outfitted by Rocky Ridge. I had the truck for just over three weeks when the truck caught fire in my driveway (approx 3000 miles). I contacted GM, my insurance company (GEICO), and the dealership where I purchased the vehicle the evening of the fire. Geico had an adjuster come out to my house the very next day to assess the damages. after an extensive assessment by Geico, it was then determined that the Driver cooling fan malfunctioned and was indeed the cause of the fire. Almost a week later GM sent out a Federal fire investigator to assess the damages, GM had my truck towed 5 miles to my nearest non-RR Chevy dealer to have the investigation done on "neutral" grounds. at this time I then called Rocky Ridge to inform them of the incident. GM took 30-days to conduct their investigation, meanwhile supplying me with a rental at no cost. Day 31, GM called and told me to return the rental asap as they are not responsible for the fire, they determined that the wiring harness from the bull bar mounted LED lights that RR installed is what had caused the fire.

At this point RR sent out their investigator to see what the heck is going on. RR had their team out in two days, much shorter time frame than GM. RR did their investigation and called both me and Geico to tell us both that their wiring was in fact still intact and that the two fail-safes in place (fuses and relays), were not affected.

Mind you GM has not provided any proof as to why they're not responsible, they refuse to release any substantial supporting documents as to why they are not responsible. RR has provided photo documentation and well as a written report supporting their decision.

My truck, since its a custom truck falls into a higher bracket as far as totaling goes. Typically a standard Silverado LD/LT 4x4 would be totaled @ approx $25,000. My truck has a limit of $45,000 or 75% of the vehicle. Since the damages were contained to the engine bay and did not destroy the engine or any major accessories it was deemed repairable. The fire occurred on December 18 2016, today is March 20 2017 and I still don't have my truck back. post-170743-0-09443200-1490027286_thumb.jpgpost-170743-0-60115500-1490027935_thumb.jpg

post-170743-0-09443200-1490027286_thumb.jpg

post-170743-0-60115500-1490027935_thumb.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My truck wouldn't go into gear last week. The D would flash and the R would flash and I couldn't move. Before the diagnosis, the dealership was trying to blame my aftermarket speakers and subwoofer saying they lost likely "cause electrical issues" in the vehicle. Turns out my TCM harness went bad. The dealership and GM will try and blame anything they can not to cover something. I'm really sorry about what happened to your vehicle. It could've been worse. Be thankful it didn't explode in your drive way harming your family and/or home. Vehicles can get replaced but lives can't. Still sorry to see what happened. I hope it all gets figured out[emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to sue GM, but I don't even have the slightest idea how to accomplish this.. I've contacted a few lawyers/attorneys and haven't received and response. Is this too big a deal for a law firm? I figured they would jump on this..

The dealership and GM will try and blame anything they can not to cover something.

Ain't that the truth. This is an extremely unfortunate story. But it is a huge reason I fear modifying the vehicle, at least while it's under warranty. After the warranty is out, you're on your own anyway, so go ahead and re-wire, lift and accessorize.

Since you're now 3 months into this garbage, I would just hope that something gets worked out so you don't have to pay anything out of pocket for the repairs. I assume you have found alternate transportation in the time being. I'd request that GM reimburse you for that cost as well since their delay is what caused you to need it.

I need to sue GM, but I don't even have the slightest idea how to accomplish this.

answer this- if GM fails to accept responsibility for this, are the repairs covered by Geico? If so, I would think Geico would want to take this up with GM so they don't have to pay. When you are in an accident, the insurance co's fight over who pays what. This time its your insurance vs. GM.

I need to sue GM, but I don't even have the slightest idea how to accomplish this.. I've contacted a few lawyers/attorneys and haven't received and response. Is this too big a deal for a law firm? I figured they would jump on this..

I think law firms won't see the money as the end game is to get the truck repaired or replaced. I guess if you won you could fight for GM to pay your attorneys fees as well.

I would expect that if the truck was bought as a package authorized by GM and sold through their dealer they should assume all responsibility to get it fix. That would include providing a rental and handling getting it repaired as long it's under warranty. They did receive a mark up on the package.

coke813,

I am just about $5,000 out of pocket between deductibles and rentals. I have had out of pocket expenses since I returned the GM appointed rental in mid-jan. My Geico ded is $1,000.00 but I had to pay $2,000.00.

Here's why; After my truck was inspected by Geico, GM and RR my truck was then towed 116 miles from a non-rr dealer to the chevy dealer I purchased it from. Here's the best part... The towing company that was hired by Geico to tow my truck failed to strap down the hood securely and in-transit the hood flew off.. ripping the hood-hindges out thus damaging both driver and passenger front fenders, denting the roof, and damaging the front passenger and rear passenger doors along the way.

Geico then told me, even though it is not my fault... its considered a new claim.. and all claims come with a $1,000.00 DED... FML

This truck cost me $64,800.00 + the almost $5,000.00 in rentals

Aaaaaaaaand, I now owe more than its worth. When I bought it I didn't need GAP, but now I do.. aaaaaand I can't restructure the loan without first refinancing.

The repairs are covered by Geico. But also at an expense to me. My problem is that I no longer own a truck that's worth 64K. All insurance companies are indemnifiers, so granted their job is to indemnify, they don't cover lost equity. So, yea, great I have a fixed burned up truck.. wonderful. But there's no resale value, the title is now listed as fire damaged / insurance repaired.

Would you buy a brand new fire damaged truck? If the price is right I guess maybe, but really no..

I did buy a builder titled vehicle once for 1/3 of book, turned out one of my favorite (94 Z28 in 95). Wouldn't the cause of fire company say GM be responsible for lost value? If nothing else extended warranty?

You would go broke trying to sue GM and their team of million dollar attorneys. Sorry about your truck dude. But how much you want for those wheels?... KIDDING!!! Good luck man.

The repairs are covered by Geico. But also at an expense to me. My problem is that I no longer own a truck that's worth 64K. All insurance companies are indemnifiers, so granted their job is to indemnify, they don't cover lost equity. So, yea, great I have a fixed burned up truck.. wonderful. But there's no resale value, the title is now listed as fire damaged / insurance repaired.

Damn, I don't know what I would do in your situation... but I would sure be on the phone with anyone I could find looking for answers. good luck. hopefully someone on this wonderful forum will read your post and give some good advice on dealing with the dealer or insurance. You're way beyond my scope of knowledge at this point.

Archived