Sign in to follow this  
Gorehamj

JK's Special Order Chevy Colorado ZR2 Takes Shape

post-139450-0-11056000-1490119357_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
3-21-2017

We're all very jealous of JK's new purchase. Members may recall that a week or so ago we reported that special order ZR2s were running about six weeks from date of order. The above order sheet reveals the specifics on JK's new truck. JK drove the V6 Colorado a second time before ordering the gas engine. It was the toughest part of the decision. JK said at the Facebook ZR2 Club, "I drove another crew with V6 today and glad I picked it over the diesel as hard as it was to do." We plan a guest spot/interview with JK once his new truck arrives. So far, the dealership experience has been good and the latest word is about one month from now the truck will arrive.

post-139450-0-80246500-1490119593_thumb.jpg

We will bring the group more updates as the process unfolds. One fun part of this new ZR2 story we recently noticed is that this ZR2 was ordered smack dab in Toyota's American hometown.

Sounds like a sweet truck! I just wish they would either offer a power rear slider or sun roof and I'd be more tempted to consider one.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

ADSENSE FOOTER
  • Similar Content

• By REDDAWN
      Two months with my new smaller truck and loving it! My Sierra was an amazing truck but I didn’t need a 6.2L. I own a small ranch but I never need to pull anything over 5 thousand pounds. Mostly I am crossing the fields carrying equipment, crossing a creek or checking fence lines. This smaller package makes sense for me. More maneuverable and better fuel economy. The added lift gets me over creeks and streams. Clears stumps and other debris. 
    • By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      8-28-2017
      GM seems to be downplaying its towing capabilities in non-full-size truck offerings. The first, and most surprising revelation was that Chevy is only rating the new Colorado ZR2 at 5,000 pounds for towing, regardless of its engine. That means the Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro's gasoline engine's 6,400 lb towing rating tops the diesel ZR2. Toyota has for years been conservative in its tow ratings and adopted the current standards prior to GM. We doubt this is specmanship on Toyota's part.

The newest towing surprise was the all-new 2018 Equinox diesel compact crossover. The new diesel engine costs almost $4,000 more than the base engine in the Equinox. Yet, its towing is limited to 1,500 pounds, the same rating almost all compact crossovers come with (the CR-V for example). Where is the diesel towing advantage we often see in larger pickups and sport utes?

Perhaps Chevy assumes with these two diesel vehicles owners don't care much about towing. That would not be our impression based on posts to the ZR2 clubs* we participate in. What say you GM-Trucks.com faithful? No big deal, or sort of surprising?

Image Note: GM-Trucks.com received permission to use the FB post and image above from the member who posted it.

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      8-22-2017
      Do you like in-depth comparisons of trucks driven off-road? Who doesn't?! We recently spotted and enjoyed this video from our friends at Off-Road.com. What we liked about this video is that the reviewer does not pretend that the Tacoma TRD Pro doesn't exist like Chevy does in its ridiculous "Segment of One" ZR2 marketing campaign. The TRD Pro is a solid off-roader with some industry-leading specs. No production truck has a steeper approach angle. The Tacoma has more ground clearance than the ZR2, and in this matchup, it is about $4K less expensive than the Chevy.

What did Off-Road.com think, and which truck was the winner? Watch and see.

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      8-22-2017
      Please pardon the snarky headline, but this one stings. Barely into the first month of production, the 2017 Chevy Colorado ZR2 has already been recalled. For, of all things, a missing page in the owner's manual. The above is part of the letter mailed to new owner Michael H., a Facebook Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 club* member.

The recall is wider than just the ZR2, but Micheal's was included, so we know that some ZR2s are on that list. If you own a Colorado you can check to see if your specific truck is included by clicking this direct link to GM's recall lookup. Luckily, this is a non-issue for most owners. Why GM didn't just mail out a new owner's manual instead of a recall letter will forever be a mystery. We suspect it is a government regulation of some sort.

* For those who don't know, the GM-Trucks.com staff are the admin of that FB club.

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      8-17-2017
      “Vegas to Reno,” also known as “the longest off-road race in the United States,” is where some of the baddest off-road racing in the USA exists. Chad Hall will run this modified ZR2 in the Best in the Desert’s General Tire “Vegas to Reno” race presented by FOX. The race has over 8,000 in elevation changes and every type of dessert terrain.

Hall races in class 7300, made up of production mid-sized pick-ups and SUVs. Hall Racing’s mods to their ZR2 includes a roll cage, 44-gallon racing fuel tank, racing seats with safety harnesses, KC HiLites racing lights, two-way radios and a GPS system.

The engine is the stock ZR2’s 3.6L V-6 engine and eight-speed automatic transmission. However, the suspension uses a modified version of ZR2’s Multimatic DSSVTM damper technology.

Hall's crew cab ZR2 will act a testbed for Chevy Performance, which plans performance parts for ZR2 as well as the standard Colorado. “The components being tested on this truck are ultimately intended to take the already-exceptional off-road capability of the Colorado to the next level,” said Russ O’Blenes, director, Performance Variants, Parts and Motorsports for General Motors. “Racing them allows us to quickly understand their performance attributes and reliability in the extreme environment of off-road racing, ensuring the highest performing components for Colorado customers.”

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Eva Nicole Sensat
    Newest Member
    Eva Nicole Sensat
  • Who's Online   39 Members, 0 Anonymous, 368 Guests (See full list)

• Popular Now