Steering Stabilizer

Recently put 18" Fuel Pump wheels with BFG T/A KO2 tires on to replace the stock 20" chrome monsters. Bought from CarID and the wheel/tires were RoadForce balanced. That said, steering seems to have a bit more vibration in it at highway speeds. Couple questions. Does the truck come stock with a steering stabilizer (will crawl under and look this weekend)? Second, any recommendations on an upgraded stabilizer that will fit.

No steering stabilizer on 2011-2018 HD trucks. If you have a shake or vibration on normal roads around town I'd be having the shop re-check all 4 wheels/tires. Steering stabilizer will not fix your issue.

Do you have the front end turned up at all? If so how far (how many turns of the bolts)?

See below for why there is no stabilizer:

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

Steering wheel vibration or customers looking to add steering stabilizer for the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra HD 2500/3500 models.

Note: On 2011 trucks with a vibrations felt in the steering wheel, follow published SI diagnostics. The latest version of PI0650 may be helpful in diagnosing this condition. Recommendation/Instructions

The 2500/3500 HD trucks are not built with a steering stabilizer.

A steering stabilizer is listed in the parts catalog group 6.865 (steering linkage shock absorber) and is available, but is not intended to address vibrations or brake pulsations.

This part can be added, but is not intended to be used for a warranty repair.

Additional information: The 2500/3500 HD's are specifically built without a Steering Dampener Shock.

The explanation below can be used to give a more detailed description of how the 2500/3500 HD steering system functions, with respect to road input.

Steering damper's predominate influence is on large heavy impacts encountered during more extreme off road events. For smaller chatter/bump surfaces, the steering damper does not see high enough rod velocity to generate resistance force. For these situations, there is more mounting bushing compression than anything else.

The 2011-14 model year 2500/3500 HD steering gear system features the same knuckle steering arm to pitman arm length ratio as the previous (2010 and older) HD model, but the steering gear piston diameter is larger and capable of higher pressure, which creates more viscous damping in the 2011-14 model year 2500/3500 HD steering gear than the previous (2010 and older) HD model steering gears.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

No steering stabilizer on 2011-2018 HD trucks. If you have a shake or vibration on normal roads around town I'd be having the shop re-check all 4 wheels/tires. Steering stabilizer will not fix your issue.

Do you have the front end turned up at all? If so how far (how many turns of the bolts)?

See below for why there is no stabilizer:

I agree it won't help shake or shimmy...but the difference on the road with and without are very noticeable and offroad is astounding.

Been there, done that...don't drink that koolaid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I agree it won't help shake or shimmy...but the difference on the road with and without are very noticeable and offroad is astounding.

Been there, done that...don't drink that koolaid.

Sure is some tasty Koolaid! My 04 and 06 (which both had stabilizers from the factory and both had similar miles as my 15 approx. 30-40k) handled worse offroad than my 2015 HD did. Steering was night and day better IMO.

In my 2012, on a (really) rough dirt road (good road, lots of rocks sticking up), mine would rip the steering wheel out of your hands...that's why I installed one.

Road force balanced or not, mud terrain type tires rarely balance out as well as "normal" tires. At highway speeds almost every set of after market wheel/mud tire set up I've ever run had some sort of vibration. Some more noticeable than others. Some I started noticing at 65mph, some started vibrating a little at 80mph.

Out of curiosity, what size tires?

Just my two cents.

Archived