New Burby

Duly noted. There will be no checking of the screen, only replacement. Might spray carb cleaner or brakleen down the hole while its out too. It's too bad about the oil filter. There's an obvious flow advantage with the e type. That silicone flapper in the bottom of the inside of it looks sketchy anyway. It reminds me of the anti drain back valve on a Holley accelerator pump, lol. Grrr... messing with my 5 year plan...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After you check the screen, I highly suggest a second oil change and use a Mobil 1 filter. Those E core filters are junk in my opinion.

On top of this, if you really want to be thorough, I would pull the oil pan and run a magnet against the bottom where the oil settles. I'd do the same thing the next oil change. If no metal found then I'd call it good.

Went for a ride to log some data. Over the course of the ride, oil pressure at idle went from 58 to 29 psi. When I got home and parked, she made noises like a lunched lifter or a rod bearing starting to go. 17,000 seems like a lot to drive a truck for a week.

Oil level was normal when I bought it, albeit gross. Found a used engine for 2200 with 90k on it. I'm to stubborn to trade it in. I also have access to a used 6.2L. I'll change the oil again and use a different filter and see what happens.

Actually, the oil pressure didn't drop as much this morning, and it was pretty quiet when I got to work. going to put a quart of transmission fluid in it before I go run errands on my lunch break. I am hopeful that there is some sludge or trash blocking something. Also picked up a new DOD filter at work. Part number 12585328. looking at the LOMA gasket, it appears that I will have to remove the valley cover to get the DOD filter out. Any input?

Only one time I had a problem similar to yours. I put a 289 in a 70 ford p/u out a station wagon. I put detergent oil in evidently they used non detergent oil. It started clogging the p/u screen and thankfully shearing the shaft from the pump to the distributor. The fix was on a cold engine was deisel fuel and transmission oil flush at an idle. There are better flushes these days, I've used amsoil flushes too with good results.

Just had my mechanic take a listen to it. Diagnosed as piston slap. Pretty sure the DOD filter is scummed up, because when I shut the engine off for a few minutes and start it back up, the oil pressure is 40ish for a little bit, then tapers down to 30ish, like the scum runs down off of the screen, then gets put back with oil pressure. Revved it to 5000rpm in park, oil pressure went to 70 with no mechanical sounds, made me feel good. Gonna pussyfoot it till Friday with the extra quart of transmission fluid in the crankcase, and change the oil again. I'm sure that lots more scum will come out.

Seems to be just piston slap sounds, and occasional lifter sounds. I imagine it will soften a little bit Friday when I change the oil again. Maybe add a quart of Lucas or use a little heavier oil. Damn she runs strong though. I want to open her up on the road, but not with tranny fluid in the oil, and needing a tranny service. Speaking of which, I noticed that I don't have a drain plug for the transmission. Does anyone have an opinion about putting a cast aluminum pan with a drain plug on when I service the transmission?

Actually, the oil pressure didn't drop as much this morning, and it was pretty quiet when I got to work. going to put a quart of transmission fluid in it before I go run errands on my lunch break. I am hopeful that there is some sludge or trash blocking something. Also picked up a new DOD filter at work. Part number 12585328. looking at the LOMA gasket, it appears that I will have to remove the valley cover to get the DOD filter out. Any input?

The DOD filter and/or oil pressure switch can be replaced without removing much of anything, as long as you're a contortionist. There's several YouTube videos.

If you like seeing what you're doing, remove the composite intake, first. Then, after removing the switch, a pick can be used to fish-out the filter/screen. No need to remove the valley cover.

Archived