Long term driving in manual 5th??

Hey all. I am new to the forum with a 2015 Sierra 1/2 ton. I installed a cat back MBRP system and love it. Except when in V4 mode. I knew this before the install and plan on picking up a Range AFM if I can find a cheaper used one. Until then I am driving in M5 mode unless above 60mph.

Will this do any long term damage? I have not been shifting with the button and have let the computer shift for me if that makes sense. I start off in M5 and let it do its thing. What are people's thoughts?

Anyone have a used Range?

Edited by Dexter10
  • Like 1

No issues.

That was your 1,000th post - better spike the ball..........

Been running in M7 for the break-in period. At 300 miles now.........

:driving:

Edited by Krusty
  • Like 1

Dexter welcome to the forum. In short there is no harm that will occur if you drive in M5 your valve lifters may last longer as well.

Huh? Do you mean lifters? Or are you talking about push rods valve springs? How will they last longer when you are running at a higher RPM constantly?

Always love reading these debates about V4 mode...

Tyler

You've been around awhile I can tell by your sig. By the way I had a 70 MD special SST Javalin. That and many of my early 70s-80s rides lived at 3K cruising the freeways. Running M5 wouldn't hurt anything, except fuel mileage.

Huh? Do you mean lifters? Or are you talking about push rods valve springs? How will they last longer when you are running at a higher RPM constantly?

Always love reading these debates about V4 mode...

Tyler

I will never use a Range device again. Always had issues with them and dont dare to put it on my 2016. I drive in M7 since I got the truck with 60 miles and now have over 15xx. Only time I hit M8 is when I get on the highway.

Edited by AllTerrainX

I live in an area with lots of steep hills and stop and go traffic. If I leave my truck in D, it always tries to shift all the way up to 6th, causing the engine to bog, then the transmission starts hunting, and by the time it goes into the right gear, I have to slow down due to traffic or stop for a red light. By leaving the truck in M5 or M4, it drives a bit better for me. I can't see any reason why this can hurt. If the transmission is shifting less, it will probably last longer.

• Like 1

Nah. I have had other reasons than AFM to run in manual mode and select M5 in both my 2013 1500 and now my 2015 2500. Mostly to eliminate a lot of gear hunting and shifting on the rural two lane roads and such that my pickups spend most of their time on. In all those years, if it was going to be a problem it would have shown up. It is easier on the transmission to not be constantly shifting all over the place on every little mole hill. Running in M5 solves that issue and shifts are reduced considerably.

On the 2013, I eventually got the Range AFM disabler for road trip use to keep it out of 4 cyl mode. My reasoning was based more on principle than anything else. I am an old Cavalry Sergeant, and I expect everyone to pack the gear... no slackers. I paid for 8 cylinders, and I was not inclined to have any of them take government or union inspired smoke breaks while the others were having to work. It wasn't like GM gave me a choice of having a non AFM engine, so I compensated accordingly. And while some don't notice it, I defiantly noticed the lag when the ECM was taking the engine out of 4 cyl back to 8 cyl mode. That has all been solved now with the 6.0 in my 2500. None of that stupid AFM stuff. But I still use manual mode and M5 frequently.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 2

Hey all. I am new to the forum with a 2015 Sierra 1/2 ton. I installed a cat back MBRP system and love it. Except when in V4 mode. I knew this before the install and plan on picking up a Range AFM if I can find a cheaper used one. Until then I am driving in M5 mode unless above 60mph.

Will this do any long term damage? I have not been shifting with the button and have let the computer shift for me if that makes sense. I start off in M5 and let it do its thing. What are people's thoughts?

Anyone have a used Range?

I read what others have said but I am curious as to why you don't like your truck in V4 mode? You should only notice the change by the indicator in your DIC. Your truck has an abundant amount of power and it makes sense to reduce use when the need isn't there. I believe there is some stigma associated with running in V4 when we paid for a V8. I still feel the same way about driving a truck with an automatic transmission! If you're noticing any lack of responsiveness or power as a result of the technological advancement of AFM then your vehicle needs service, imo.

• Like 1