4.8...yes or no?

Looking around for used trucks. Found a few good deals, a couple with the 4.8. Is there any significant disadvantages or advantages vs the 5.3? Any model yrs to avoid? Any easy cheap mods to get more power? Will be used for daily driver with some ooccasional towing. Hauling wood, 4 wheeler & possibly smaller camper.

They are the same motor, just different bore and stroke. We have a bunch of them at work, I have found anything from 2008 onwards has more power. You can program them, same as the 5.3. Not quite as much torque, they like to rev a little more. I would take the 5.3 or the 6.0 over them, but if I found a truck that I liked at the right price with the 4.8 in it, I would be happy with it.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

I bought my truck with the 4.8. On regular ethanol free gas, it would get 22 mpg cruising I-10. It was fine. I put a 6.0 in when I blew a head gasket. That was based on a cost analysis because I knew if I started pulling it apart, I would have gone crazy. Wish I kept the 4.8, bored and stroked it out to a 383 honestly.

Looking around for used trucks. Found a few good deals, a couple with the 4.8. Is there any significant disadvantages or advantages vs the 5.3? Any model yrs to avoid? Any easy cheap mods to get more power? Will be used for daily driver with some ooccasional towing. Hauling wood, 4 wheeler & possibly smaller camper.

One advantage is the 4.8 platform wasn't outfitted with Active Fuel Management.

I've got an '02 ecsb silverado with the 4.8, and 3.42 rear. It's not terribly slow, I use it for commuting to work, and keeping mileage off my "14 Mustang GT, so for what I do, it's great. Fuel mileage on the highway is pretty good, not a race truck, I haven't put any weight behind it, so I can't comment on that, but I had an '03 that I towed my car to California on an open car trailer, and it ran 75 easily, it downshifted, and liked to sing on any hills, but as long as you kept your foot in it, and didn't use the "ooh that can't be good mentality", it did quite well. That being said, when it's time to replace the 4.8, a 6.0 will be going in.

I've got an '02 ecsb silverado with the 4.8, and 3.42 rear. It's not terribly slow, I use it for commuting to work, and keeping mileage off my "14 Mustang GT, so for what I do, it's great. Fuel mileage on the highway is pretty good, not a race truck, I haven't put any weight behind it, so I can't comment on that, but I had an '03 that I towed my car to California on an open car trailer, and it ran 75 easily, it downshifted, and liked to sing on any hills, but as long as you kept your foot in it, and didn't use the "ooh that can't be good mentality", it did quite well. That being said, when it's time to replace the 4.8, a 6.0 will be going in.

I'm telling you. Don't do the 6.0, build the 4.8 to a 383. For a fresh 6.0 the 383 would be great

I've done a little reading on the 383 kit Chris, interesting.

Off topic, love how your truck sits, these 99-07 trucks sit way too low, wanna do as you've done, but with the oem 20's like my 2015 Tahoe has.

I've done a little reading on the 383 kit Chris, interesting.

Off topic, love how your truck sits, these 99-07 trucks sit way too low, wanna do as you've done, but with the oem 20's like my 2015 Tahoe has.

My truck has gone lower. Shorter tires and it was returned to stock. Going to do a 1/2 drop on it.

I was originally going to do a shackle out bsck, and a 275/40-45/20 tire, but I'd like to bring the front up instead about 2" instead I think. Not too worried about making it fast, or anything like that, just want a solid dd that I can put a ton of miles on, and haul my car around.

The 275/45R20 helps with the effective gear ratio. My 3.42 Would be near the equivalent of a 275/55R20 and a 3.73. So along with the engine, ratios and tire sizes can help

Archived