4.8...yes or no?

My first Truck was a 2006 Sierra 4.8L Crew Cab 4x4. The truck was super good to me, I had a tune put in it when I got it at 160K km. I didn't haul heavy loads regularly but there was the occasion when I did. The truck held its own all round and I sold it with 380 km for 3000 less than I paid for it.

When I sold it ran like a top and you would never know there were that many Km on it.

I have a 2012 with the 4.8L runs and drives great but wish it had the 6 speed or just a little more grunt.

• 4 weeks later...

Depends on how much weight you wanna haul. Im in the same boat, use my truck as a daily driver but also tow with her. I got a 06 4.8 with long tube headers, afe cold air, edge programmer, and a 3 inch catback exhaust and it pulls my trailer and quad okay. It struggles a slight bit, but i keep up to my buddy in a stock 5.3 just fine. My total weight with fuel, water, toys, exc., is about 5300lbs, and i average about 17 litres per 100km so its honestly not terrible. But any more weight and id be getting a bigger motor ngl

• 3 weeks later...

Glad I ran across this thread. I've been looking around to see what I might want to get next spring. I found a nice Silverado with the 4.8 at a decent price. I wouldn't have thought it would've been a good engine. Nice to know it doesn't have the AFM too! Do all years Not have the AFM?

I might miss the power of my 6.0 in my XL Denali, but I think it will be time to get rid of it within the next year. I love it, but it's 14 years old and has 263,000 miles on it as of now.

Archived