2014+ Silverado/Sierra Long Term Reliability

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum but I have been doing my research on the new generation of gm half ton trucks. Long story short, I was in a very bad car accident back in December, I came out of a small acura tsx 6 speed (5 star crash safety rating) which is the reason I'm alive. Ive been looking pretty consistently at 2013+ rams, and the 2014+ gmc sierras and chevy silverados. I really like the styling of the new sierras and silverados but I have been reading threads regarding lots of issues that they seem to be plagued by. I wanted to see if anyone can voice a long term perspective on the 14's. From what I've been reading it looks like theres a lot of lemons out there. As far as configurations, I'd want to have 4wd, the 5.3 power plant and a crew/quad cab option. I would mainly be using the truck to commute to and from school. I'm 19 and go to school full time with two jobs on the side, needless to say I don't make enough money to be fixing a lemon if I get stuck with one. I need a truck that can last me at least 5-8 years thats safe and somewhat decent on gas. Thank you

-Nick

• Like 1

If money is an issue you are looking at the wrong truck. These trucks need their fair share of repairs. I have another in the shop today for AC failure again. This time the redesigned AC hose has failed again as the redesign and add on bracket is not stopping the line cracks, causing AC failure that is so common on the 2014 up trucks,

If money is an issue you are looking at the wrong truck. These trucks need their fair share of repairs. I have another in the shop today for AC failure again. This time the redesigned AC hose has failed again as the redesign and add on bracket is not stopping the line cracks, causing AC failure that is so common on the 2014 up trucks,

Thanks for the input, I didn't know they had issues with the AC lines. It sucks I really like these trucks they look and feel pretty solid inside and out but it seems like GM really didn't care about the quality they were putting out

A 19 year old on a tight budget should be looking at a 5 year old Camry or Accord IMHO. Once you start making the big bucks you can buy whatever you want. Might want to sneak a peek at Dave Ramsey's Financial peace website..... https://www.daveramsey.com/fpu/

Yea right now the budget is tight, don't really want to get too personal but there is a lawsuit underway. I'd just prefer not to spend all of that money on a truck and repairing it when I could invest it elsewhere

Thats relieving to hear, all the trucks I've been looking at in my price bracket have around the same mileage

Take many things you read on forum with a grain of salt. Sure there are issues and certain issues pertain to certain brands more than others, but people mostly only post on forums if they're having an issue. The vast, vast majority of these trucks are issue-free. Not saying don't do your homework and def take extended test drives including highway etc before you buy. Also, keep in mind if your budget is going to be tight these trucks guzzle gas. Some people are getting 20+ mpg but for most people 15-16mpg seems to be more the average.

• Like 1

If you don't do a ton of miles try a low cost lease on an LT. At worst you will pay for 2 oil changes over three years. Your payment would be low.

Or look at a used Honda Ridgeline. I drove mine for 9 years and changed one hose. Never had a single mechanical problem. My 9 month old silverado has been to the dealer more than 9 times already but mostly for minor things like squeaks and rattles.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

post-127028-0-28094300-1476485477_thumb.jpg
Gas mileage is not that huge of an issue even with the 6.2 The problem is purchasing a depreciating asset that will hold you back from ever being financially successful. Invest that settlement money into Lots and Houses and I am NOT talking about Lots of whiskey and $%ore Houses LOL

post-127028-0-28094300-1476485477_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I'd like to stay away from a lease if I could, I want a truck I can keep long term that isn't gonna leave me stranded but I'll look into the deals they have going on.

As far as gas mileage goes, I'm used to driving a car that gets around 16 mpg to and from school and the truck won't be much different than that. Only two more years till I get my degree and start my life so by then money won't be an issue I hope. Already looking into mutual funds to put my money into haha, someday it'll be houses and lots

I'd like to stay away from a lease if I could, I want a truck I can keep long term that isn't gonna leave me stranded but I'll look into the deals they have going on.

As far as gas mileage goes, I'm used to driving a car that gets around 16 mpg to and from school and the truck won't be much different than that. Only two more years till I get my degree and start my life so by then money won't be an issue I hope. Already looking into mutual funds to put my money into haha, someday it'll be houses and lots

Don't bother with mutual funds at this point in your life. Stick to index funds and ETFs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I were you I'd buy used. Find a clean one prior to 2014. Either a 2011-2013. If you're looking long term even one with 40,000 on it would be just about "new". Plus you can get one with a ton of options. The resale on these trucks drop like a rock as soon as you drive off the lot. Like over $10,000, seriously. I'm getting into my second truck after a buy back. I know a lot of people with the previous gen and had no problems. I'm hoping this one will be problem free because there are ones out there that are. These forums attract people who are having issues. Most people who own one would probably never go to a forum unless they wanted to add lights or a suspension. I don't know about your situation, but if I was 19 again I'd buy the previous generation. Forking over the cost on one of these trucks brand new it a lot and its not all its cracked up to be. You'll have more appreciation for a truck that will serve you for a long time rather than then next new thing. There will always be something new so I'd save your money now. If GM would have let me trade into something used like a 2013 diesel I'd do it in a heartbeat, but when they are doing a buy back/trade assist its new for new.

Don't bother with mutual funds at this point in your life. Stick to index funds and ETFs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Started doing some experimenting with day trading but I'll keep that in mind once the case is settled

If I were you I'd buy used. Find a clean one prior to 2014. Either a 2011-2013. If you're looking long term even one with 40,000 on it would be just about "new". Plus you can get one with a ton of options. The resale on these trucks drop like a rock as soon as you drive off the lot. Like over $10,000, seriously. I'm getting into my second truck after a buy back. I know a lot of people with the previous gen and had no problems. I'm hoping this one will be problem free because there are ones out there that are. These forums attract people who are having issues. Most people who own one would probably never go to a forum unless they wanted to add lights or a suspension. I don't know about your situation, but if I was 19 again I'd buy the previous generation. Forking over the cost on one of these trucks brand new it a lot and its not all its cracked up to be. You'll have more appreciation for a truck that will serve you for a long time rather than then next new thing. There will always be something new so I'd save your money now. If GM would have let me trade into something used like a 2013 diesel I'd do it in a heartbeat, but when they are doing a buy back/trade assist its new for new.

I looked into a 2013 sierra, the interior is so dated and basic but it was comfortable and simple. I like the style updates in 2014 a lot, and the interiors are so different, its like night and day. The diesels do intrigue me but I feel like its unnecessary for me to have a heavy duty truck like that. Parking it on a college campus would be a nightmare and I don't really know too much about diesels other then that when something needs replacement its usually significantly expensive compared to gasoline engines