2500 HD 6.0 input

I currently have a 2015 1500 LT crew with the 5.3. I'm considering trading in and picking up a 2016 2500 HD LTZ with the Z71 package. Looking for pros and cons of the 2500.

I'll use it to occasionally pull my 20' trailer with 2 side x sides and commuting a few times a week.

I'm happy with the 1500 but just lacks the oomph when pulling my trailer. It gets about 18mpg on the highway, 14 as soon as I hook up and pull my EMPTY trailer, and 10ish loaded. I'm running a black bear tune on the 1500 and will likely do the same to the 2500 if I get it.

Thsnks

I went from a 04 1500 with the 5.3 to a 2016 2500hd gasser and love it...be warned the 6.0 has plenty of power but really likes gas. During winter i was averaging 6mpg in town(between warm ups and all that) warmer months i'll get 10-12..best highway i've seen was 20-21..all numbers are unloaded too. I did go camping soon after i got it with a bed full of tents, firewood,coolers on hilly terrain and the mileage diden't shift too bad. To me it was accepting the fact that you have to pay to play, HDs were not designed to sip fuel and bebop around town. They were meant to work and gobble fuel.

The 6.0 HD trucks are night and day stronger than the 1/2 tons when working them. If you get the 6.0 tuned it is even better. Been there done that.

Lots of great things about the 6.0 and the 2500HD trucks, but in terms of straight pulling power I do not think you will be overwhelmed by the 6.0. It makes modest power but will last forever, you can let it rev as much as it needs to. But it isn't that much more powerful than a 5.3 and considering the extra weight of the truck, you might not notice much difference. If you do notice the 2500HD being much better at pulling than your curren tturck, it is probably the 4.10 axle ratio as much or more than the 6.0 that is responsible for the difference.

You will get the same MPG loaded trailer. My 2015 regular cab, I could get 13-14mpg average just work and back. That is a 30 mile round trip, 80% highway. Winter that goes to 10-12mpg. Highway trip to Utica and back doing about 70 the 90% of the time did 15.5mpg (approx. 200 mile round trip). But man...you hook up a 2500 vs. a 1500 to a trailer, and that's where it comes to life. The way they handle a trailer (suspension, brakes, powertrain) is way more confident than a 1500. Even empty, the brakes stop stupid good.

The towing experience with a 2500 6.0 vs. your 5.3 is night and day and you'll appreciate it the more you drive it. The 6.0 doesn't win drag races but it's pulls steady and the transmission and gearing is perfect for a HD truck. I think one of the biggest differences is how aggressive the transmission is. You can definitely notice it's attitude change when you go into two/haul but even in regular setting is happy to hold or drop gears without constant manually shifting or flooring it. It doesn't necessarily make sense on paper but the 6.0 does a much better job as a work and tow vehicle even in a heavier truck.

Handling and braking are superior, too.

yep, the 2500 6.0 is a good overall setup. MPG varies with the driver, as it does with most vehicles. The average lifetime mpg is about 1 mpg less than my previous 1500 5.3L. The 5.3 had to work harder to get similar work done so it actually took as much fuel to do the same work most of the time. I mostly haul, with some occasional local towing. I can put over a ton of stuff in the back and the 2500 doesn't seem to know anything is in the back. Sure, when empty and regular cruising around, the 1500 will beat the 2500 by some margin on mpg. But even empty, the 2500 weighs considerably more than the 1500, so that stands to reason.

One cannot judge things based on brochures and published numbers. The 2500 with the 6.0 does a pretty darn good job. It is not quite the same, but the comparison is similar to the 500 hp engine in my semi truck. Doesn't sound like much HP for that semi, but it will pull a 1500 in half, and do it while engaging the clutch from idle at a dead stop. While the 6.0 doesn't have some jaw dropping numbers on a sheet of paper, the way the overall pickup is set up, it will put any 1500 to shame when it comes to some very serious work. In a totally different league. That is why it is rated for a total gross combination of 20,500 lb.

Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Just a preliminary shot, but here she is. With all the accessories and packages, sticker was 68k. I got it for 53k and some change.

post-154738-0-34264500-1490766629_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone. I did a roundtrip to Anchorage today, showing 14.8 mph on the dash which isn't far off what I was doing with the 5.3 in cold weather (28 here today and got about 8" in Anchorage).

Things I noticed:

-A lot of drivetrain whine in 4wd

-very touchy steering (darts around in the lane)

- way stiffer ride but expected with the Z71 package.

I used to be a die hard Ford guy (had an 02 F250 with the 7.3 and numerous other Ford products). But I've been very pleased with the 1500 and very happy with the 2500 so far. It was a deal that was hard to pass up and glad I did it.

That's good mileage for sure you might check your tire pressures, that ride can be smoothed up a bit if your not heavy hauling by dropping psi down. Mine rides pretty nice at 55-60 psi all around.

Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Just a preliminary shot, but here she is. With all the accessories and packages, sticker was 68k. I got it for 53k and some change.

is that a pre-owned? can't imagine dealer installing fender flares. awesome truck. enjoy it.

Archived