5.3L T-Stat Question

Someone told me recently that the OEM t-stat that GM makes for the 5.3L engine is "fail safe" in that if it ever fails it fails in the open position so the coolant will still be able to flow and not overheat the engine.

Anybody know if there is there any truth to this?

Someone told me recently that the OEM t-stat that GM makes for the 5.3L engine is "fail safe" in that if it ever fails it fails in the open position so the coolant will still be able to flow and not overheat the engine.

Are you worried about the t-stat in your truck?

That's a "Negative Ghost Rider."

OK, thanks.

Sounds like I need to install an inline t-stat... so I can put in a Fail Safe t-stat like I use on my other truck... which has actually failed in the open position.

Just one extra thing that can be done to prevent a motor from overheating and yes, t-stats can and do sometimes fail ya know... it happens.

OK, thanks.

Sounds like I need to install an inline t-stat... so I can put in a Fail Safe t-stat like I use on my other truck... which has actually failed in the open position.

Just one extra thing that can be done to prevent a motor from overheating and yes, t-stats can and do sometimes fail ya know... it happens.

If overheating is a concern for you then why not just keep an extra thermostat, the 1-2 wrenches it requires to change it, and a gallon of water/coolant in the truck with you? I'm not trying to be a smart a** but I would like to understand your logic. The fail safe thermostats I've seen easily cost 2-3 times and maybe more than the standard thermostats and the only advantage they give is a chance to keep driving. Also, the way I understand it is when these things do "fail safe" (lock in open position) they have to be replaced again. I would also assume that when you say "inline t-stat" that you intend to install the Fail Safe T-stat outside of its intended location and actually cut the coolant hose to install it? Would you also remove the factory thermostat?

Again, I am just genuinely trying to understand and not trying to be a smart a**.

The logic is this... it's better to prevent a problem than to have to fix a problem after it happens.

I have an S-10 with a 4.3L and they make a fail safe T-stat for it... once I learned about this years ago, I started using this type of T-stat because... sometimes T-stats fail and OE style T-stats fail in the closed position preventing coolant from circulating and the engine overheats.

I'm simply wanting to take an extra step here that will prevent my other truck (with an aluminum LS engine) from ever overheating.

Best way to do that is to install a fail safe T-stat and since they don't make one for LS engines for some odd reason... I'll have to install an inline T-stat housing so I can use a fail safe T-stat.

This solves the potential problem of a T-stat sticking before it ever has a chance to be a problem... which could easily cause engine damage if coolant is suddenly not allowed to flow... which can and does happen.

You know the old saying... and ounce of prevention is worth 14.5 tons of cure!

Okay, I get that. so do you install it in addition to the factory T-stat? Also, what model is you truck? I saw quite a few Fail Safe T-stats that look like they should work inside the factory housing.

No, if installing an inline T-stat housing... the original T-stat would need to be removed.

It would defeat the purpose of having the fail safe T-stat is the OE T-stat was left in place.

Rockrz, its your money and your peace of mind....but I would run the stock set up. Very few people drive as much as I do and even fewer put the number of miles on a vehicle before selling or trading it on a new(er) one.

Most of my vehicles had over 150K miles on them and 5 of them had over 300K miles including one that I still drive daily. The last time I had a t-stat fail was back in the early 1980's on a 1977 GMC High Sierra 2500 with a 350 engine.

Not only do you have a gauge, but there are idiot lights as well to get your attention if you happen to not notice the gauge.

Well, T-stats can and do fail occasionally and when they do they fail in the closed position which blocks coolant from flowing causing the engine to get very hot, possibly hot enough to damage the engine.

I'll go ahead an opt for something I can count on which is the fail safe that would still allow coolant to flow if it were to ever fail, versus the OE T-stat that would block coolant if it ever failed causing the engine to overheat.

At any rate, I was just wanting to check out what this guy claimed that OE T-stats in LS engines are fail safe by design and apparently they are not which was what I figured when he told me that. Just wanted to check out the rumor....

To each their own.

If I were in a very rural area, jungle, desert etc. I could see doing this. I have had 1 thermostat fail same as muddkatt in almost 50 years.

Not saying you're wrong. :happysad:

Archived