2016 5.3l oil pressure change

I bought my 2016 Custom Silverado 4x4 last year and have just put 6800 miles on it. I had the engine oil changed at 6000 miles and everything was normal. Normal oil pressure cold was a little over 40psi and warm at a top light it was around 30psi.

I was coming home this afternoon and while passing a car to avoid an accident it kicked down into 2nd gear and I saw the oil pressure gauge go to almost 80psi. At the stop light it stayed at 40psi. The truck has thrown no codes and engine sounds like it's normal self...any ideas?????

Oil pressure and RPM have corelation, if you were at 3-4k RPMS on a new truck Id say thats normal. My 06 hits 75 when its cold at first take off. Id say nothing abnormal. In gear driving at around 70 mph you should see the needle right around 40psi maybe even higher, if you floor it you can watch as the RPM's go up so does the oil pressure Id say 80 on a new truck at higher RPM isnt an issue at all, its normal.

• Like 1

They have 2 stage oil pumps. When the RPM's go over 3,500, stage 2 kicks in and pumps it up to almost max on the gauge. It's done primarily for fuel economy due to less drag on the motor at lower RPM's when it doesn't need so much oil pressure.

• Like 1

I had a issue with my dealer and they simply over filled the oil in my 2016. Trust me when they do this the oil pressure needle pegs all the way over.

If your oil is level on the dip stick I would say you are okay.

Oil pressure and RPM have corelation, if you were at 3-4k RPMS on a new truck Id say thats normal. My 06 hits 75 when its cold at first take off. Id say nothing abnormal. In gear driving at around 70 mph you should see the needle right around 40psi maybe even higher, if you floor it you can watch as the RPM's go up so does the oil pressure Id say 80 on a new truck at higher RPM isnt an issue at all, its normal.

I totally understand what you are saying and back in my drag race days we used to say 10psi for every 1000rpm. The issue is that in in 6500 miles the truck has never done this, it's always been around 40 or a little more cool and once it warms up when you come to a light it's 25 to 30 at idle in gear. One the road at 65/70 it's just a little over 40...in the past when I put the stomped on the throttle and kicked down a gear or two the motor would hit 5000rpm or so and the gauge showed maybe 50psi but never has it gone beyond that. I have made an appointment to take it to the dealer so we'll see what they say.

I totally understand what you are saying and back in my drag race days we used to say 10psi for every 1000rpm. The issue is that in in 6500 miles the truck has never done this, it's always been around 40 or a little more cool and once it warms up when you come to a light it's 25 to 30 at idle in gear. One the road at 65/70 it's just a little over 40...in the past when I put the stomped on the throttle and kicked down a gear or two the motor would hit 5000rpm or so and the gauge showed maybe 50psi but never has it gone beyond that. I have made an appointment to take it to the dealer so we'll see what they say.

Well theres a bunch of factors as well. GM's "spec" i believe is 6psi per 1k rpm MINIMUM. You say everything was normal until you changed oil 800 miles ago, what type of oil was it? Humans make mistakes, im sure that it could also be a heavier weight that your dealer or whoever did it may have put the wrong stuff in. Its always possible.

Oil pressure is NOT created by the oil pump, that creates flow and volume, they do not create pressure. what creates the pressure is the gaps between your metal parts, your connecting rod bearings and main bearings create the oil pressure. Im sure your dealer will say its fine just because that what dealers usually do, if they find a problem and fix it then great, if not, id start with another oil change. Do the oil change yourself if possible to eliminate some variables. I hope the dealer finds something out or fixes the issue! If not come back to the forums and im sure a bunch of us can give you some ideas!

Well theres a bunch of factors as well. GM's "spec" i believe is 6psi per 1k rpm MINIMUM. You say everything was normal until you changed oil 800 miles ago, what type of oil was it? Humans make mistakes, im sure that it could also be a heavier weight that your dealer or whoever did it may have put the wrong stuff in. Its always possible.

Oil pressure is NOT created by the oil pump, that creates flow and volume, they do not create pressure. what creates the pressure is the gaps between your metal parts, your connecting rod bearings and main bearings create the oil pressure. Im sure your dealer will say its fine just because that what dealers usually do, if they find a problem and fix it then great, if not, id start with another oil change. Do the oil change yourself if possible to eliminate some variables. I hope the dealer finds something out or fixes the issue! If not come back to the forums and im sure a bunch of us can give you some ideas!

Thanks for the encouraging words. If I made reference to oil pressure being the pumps job I apologize, because as you mentioned it doesn't.

The truck uses 0/20w of which up until I bought this truck I had never heard of it. My 2014 Mustang Track Package uses 5/50w and I've used 20/40 and 20/50 racing oil forever. I guess if the dealer says it's fine I have him put it on the service order although I've heard/read alot of people having problems with the oil sending unit...which is behind the intake manifold and is probably a 3 hour job to get at it. What ever happened to analog gauges???

Thanks for the encouraging words. If I made reference to oil pressure being the pumps job I apologize, because as you mentioned it doesn't.

The truck uses 0/20w of which up until I bought this truck I had never heard of it. My 2014 Mustang Track Package uses 5/50w and I've used 20/40 and 20/50 racing oil forever. I guess if the dealer says it's fine I have him put it on the service order although I've heard/read alot of people having problems with the oil sending unit...which is behind the intake manifold and is probably a 3 hour job to get at it. What ever happened to analog gauges???

You didnt make any reference i just threw it in for a fun fact! Aswell as you ive never heard of 0w20 oil thats weird. Mine older one takes 5w30. And haha yes, apparently analog gauges are a think of the past when in my opinion they'res a lot less to go wrong and a lot less complicated than digital ones. If it is a problem with the oil pressure sending unit have the dealer do it. Its under warranty!

Like previously mentioned, these trucks - along with most newer cars - use a variable displacement oil pump. They'll deliver full pressure when demanded, but for just cruising around they'll cut back on pressure to reduce drag on the engine.

0w20 has been used on quite a few Japanese and other imports for at LEAST the past decade. Though I can understand why it's a bit baffling to the proverbial "truck owner"

• 4 years later...

Clearly late to the topic but figured I would ask a question is anyone else is there to answer. I have a 2017 5.3 ecotec3, and today I saw the oil pressure gauge go to around 20-25 and rest there consistently at idle. When I accelerated it would go back to 40 and remain there until the motor went back down in rpm and was at idle again, at which time it returned to the lower point. Does that sound normal?