Transmission removal

Previous owner screwed me over and lied about the transmission being rebuilt. So now I have to put a used one in.

How hard is it to remove and install a 93 suburban transmission on the ground? I've done vw transmission but not a big truck one before. Can anyone give me any advice or tips.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Previous owner screwed me over and lied about the transmission being rebuilt. So now I have to put a used one in.

How hard is it to remove and install a 93 suburban transmission on the ground? I've done vw transmission but not a big truck one before. Can anyone give me any advice or tips.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I cant tell you how hard it is but i can tell you its always good to have it all planned out ahead of time. I plan on dropping the trans in my 95 gmc k1500 and plan to use ratchet straps on both ends, lowering each side one at a time with a jack stand until it is on the ground. Seems to be the safest way without a real transmission jack, thats just my 2 cents anyway.

a regular floor jack can work, make a softer footing and large for the top of it.

there is other clever things to use as well. A lawn mower/ATV jack, etc.

the hefty part is convertor, makes the front heavy. You can unhook and leave that part in the truck, or just go for it with help.

I'd spend on at least one new part: the convertor.

The tranny may have been rebuilt, but that convertor feeds it.

a strap right over the top through some clever spot on the jack was another trick.

backyard hillbilly tranny swaps.

A big floor jack is better.

Archived