Cold Air Intake? Have thoughts and opinions changed?

Hello All,

New to the forum, but after what seems hundreds of posts and forum pages, the debate of the CAI still isnt resolved in my opinion.

I have a 2014 Silverado with the 5.3L and im looking for a CAI for it's birthday later this month.

Any one have any long term opinions and thoughts on using CAIs over the past few years on their trucks? With Black Bear releasing new test data it seems like the argument of the Airair MIT tube is over, 1hp and almost 3 ft lb gained for $150 obviously isnt worth it. So what CAIs are performing well for people of the forum? Is the highest rate AFE system the best? Or is a runner up like S&B good to go with. Im hoping to spark a discussion between people who have owned and used systems like these with their new eco-tec 5.3L trucks.

Back story, my truck has just shy of 47k, bought it brand new in April 2014 with 35 miles on it. I like to treat it to a gift every year for its birthday. This year its a CAI.

Thanks all for the help.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im very leery on getting a tune while still under extended warranty. Since the new systems can monitor any changes made to the stock tune, reverting back to the stock tune will still ping a notice in the history of the tune. If I do this and there is an issue with the truck and I take it to the dealer, they can plainly see that I changed the tune and reverted back to stock. I plan to tune the truck once im out of warranty, so im hoping bolt-ons will feed my addiction in the mean time.

I have always done an Airaid MIT tube just prior to getting my trucks tuned, the extra air flow along with the tune does make it worth the money IMO. The stock air boxes flow quite well, with the only real restrictive part being the intake section. Therefore, I've never done more than the tube alone. Others add in a drop in filter in place of the factory one, I've done it both ways but haven't noticed much of a difference. My current 2013 I've kept the factory style filter, I like that it filters a bit better than the higher flowing media ones.

If you don't plan on a tune, all the CAI is really good for on a stock truck is the sound. You may feel slightly better throttle response, nothing serious. I do not have a CAI on a K2 truck like yours, but I have had them on roughly 6 Silverado trucks throughout the years, 4 with a Black Bear tune, 2 without. I didn't ever notice much of a difference on the non tuned trucks.

my 2 cents:

Anyone who sells CAI's will tell you they add horsepower. Others say that the stock air intake will supply all the air the engine needs and a new CAI does nothing but make more noise. I'm guessing the truth is somewhere in between, but probably closer to the side of CAI is not needed.

I put a K&N intake on my 1998, along with a Flowmaster. I swear I gained 1 mpg just from that mod, but no scientific data to back it up. I know the engines have changed a lot in 20 years since that 305 i had. What I really gained was a sound that I loved to hear when I put the pedal to the floor.

I do believe that auto makers are forced to make these truck as efficient as possible. Therefore I tend to think they have already squeezed out nearly all the HP out of these motors. If a $150 mod really added horsepower/ increased fuel mileage don't you think GM would put them on for us?

I'm subscribing to see if there is any better data available. since i had a CAI in the past, I have considered putting one on my new truck once I'm out of warranty as well.

OEMs cant afford to put performance intakes on their vehicles for numerous reasons. The top 2 being NVH with the customer (louder sucking noises, rushes of air, etc.) and epa and cafe requirements. People want quiet vehicles and vehicles with good mpgs. I for one, could give a care about those. Those two reasons are not why I bought a truck. Before, the most restrictive portion of the intake on a vehicle was the air box, now it is the tube. OEMs do this in a way to 'tune' the intake of the vehicle for MPGs. MPGs dont mean performance. OEMs are more concerned with getting better MPGs out of their bigger vehicles than they are with squeezing out extra hp and torque. Its cheaper for them in the long run.

I mean, I know a lot of people say they dont add hp and torque, but im an engineer, my life is based on data and I dig graphs. Just by looking at the results from the most recent Black Bear tests, no one can tell me they dont make more power and torque. And this is in a vehicle, to the wheels. Not on an engine dyno. Real life data to the wheels. My main question is to the people who have these intakes and if they have seen a difference on the Eco-Tec engines. The Vortecs of the past may have the same liters and close to the same cubic inches, but the technology is vastly different.

I recently added the afe momentum gt cai. Definitely a improvement in throttle response. I really prefer the cleaner look of a CAI versus cluttered looking stock intake setup. Mine is on the 5.3, but blackbears recent dyno of the afe on a 6.2 is impressive. I also added the borla s type and together, there is noticeable improvement in acceleration and almost 1 mpg better fuel economy.

Just by looking at the results from the most recent Black Bear tests, no one can tell me they dont make more power and torque.

I want to believe you, but would Black Bear put out a test result graph if it did not show an improvement? I'm hoping to find some unbiased scientific data from a source that does not stand to profit from the sale of aftermarket parts. Maybe there are other tests out there. It seems that the blackbear tests support changing the MIT tube, but not necessarily the air box/filter.

And, I know that HP and fuel economy seem to be opposite ends of the spectrum. But, correct me if i'm wrong here, I believe that if you can unleash more HP & torque out of an engine, it has to work less hard and burn less gas to maintain the same speed- therefore, you would see an increase in MPG following an increase in HP. (you certainly wouldn't expect a decrease in MPG if you have more HP output from the same engine, would you?)

The problem usually occurs when increase in HP (or noise) results in heavier foot, which yields less fuel economy.

Look at the figures on the BBP graphs and you will see that some of the intakes previously worshiped were proved to be false idols on the 2016 tests on the 6.2L.

Buy it if it makes YOU happy. Sell it if it doesn't.

A good tuner will make you happy.

I personally am running an AFE intake with the dry filter, exhaust, and black bear tune. My truck is night and day performance wise. And I actually get 17 mpg most of the time with 35's. Since there should no longer be a debate whether or not the intake makes more power because it definitely does, I'm going to say that I recommend AFE. The quality is very good and installation was a breeze. I'm very happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just get the AFE..it was independently dyno proven to make the most power on a 6.2, with probably comparable results on a 5.3.

MIT provided little to no power gains over stock, just cleans the resonator assembly up

If you have the cash go for it. Just be prepared to send it back or sell it on Craigslist if it is too noisy or knocks bad on 87. I returned my intake and put the money towards new rims and an exhaust.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Archived