Integrated brake control

It has been done. Just takes a lot of money.

Please post who/where. This is beaten to death on every forum with zero success. So just point us there. Just hacking the BCM doesn't git er done on the software side.

• Like 1

Please post who/where. This is beaten to death on every forum with zero success. So just point us there. Just hacking the BCM doesn't git er done on the software side.

Contact this guy: dfsmithceo @ hotmail.com Cost is very high as the program is custom and the parts must be collected from a donor truck. If I remember, his cost is north of 5 grand and the vehicle can't be serviced by a dealer once custom programmed. It is one of them "if you got the ask the price you can't afford it" mods. I say go for it!

Contact this guy: dfsmithceo @ hotmail.com Cost is very high as the program is custom and the parts must be collected from a donor truck. If I remember, his cost is north of 5 grand and the vehicle can't be serviced by a dealer once custom programmed. It is one of them "if you got the ask the price you can't afford it" mods. I say go for it!

$5k for a factory brake controller? WHY????

• Like 1

At 5K to program/install a JL1 after the fact, OP would be better of:

1. Trade in truck for one already equipped with this option

2. Install aftermarket trailer brake controller

No way would I spend 5K for that.??

• Like 1

At 5K to program/install a JL1 after the fact, OP would be better of:

1. Trade in truck for one already equipped with this option

2. Install aftermarket trailer brake controller

No way would I spend 5K for that.

For most people a new truck would work better. Some want the OEM controller and don't want to trade their vehicle. For them a small sum of cash is the better solution.

It is not an easy plug and play mod.

I wasnt asking why the mod was $5k. I was asking who in there right mind would spend $5k for a brake controller. You would almost have to be mentally unstable to do something so stupid.

• Like 2

Then it's still considered not possible. No brake controller is worth 5k end of story. If someone can go the route of the pigtail and a 100.00 aftermarket controller, 5k is the stupidest waste of 4900.00 ever. If you spend that money even as someone who has the expendable cash your an idiot. Better to take the hit on going upside down for 5k on a new truck. If you dump the serviceability, that's a minimum of 5k more loss to the majority of owners, and that's if you got a truck that's not problematic - we all know about 8-10 nagging things these trucks tend to go back for service on and we won't repair ourselves.

I don't know about you, but the placement of that brake controller is just hideous and sticks way out. Under the dash would be a better spot.

Maybe... until you need to use the manual lever on the P3 and end up banging your chin against the steering wheel while you try to reach under the dash to activate it... Or, you want to increase the boost level a little bit and have to go hunting for the buttons and to see the display. I for one don't like having my eyes and attention off the road that long. There is a reason that GM mounted the OE unit up high on the dash...

You can call my install "hideous"... I don't care. But, it's installed where I can easily access it; and I use it several times a year. It sticks out as far as it does so that there isn't a long slot cut underneath it to accommodate the manual gain lever. My trailer is not loaded the same way every time (sometimes it's got my 1000# Ranger and other camping gear, other times it's nearly empty) and needs to have the boost level adjusted accordingly. And, sometimes I don't remember to adjust the boost level before departing after loading up the trailer... so the manual gain lever is handy at my first big braking event from highway speeds. Then, after I get stopped, I can easily bump the boost level up to my usual number/setting by reading the P3's display.

If you decide to mount it under-dash... I'd suggest doing it as a temporary mount and use it a few times before you make it a permanent install.

Bobber your brake controller install works for me. Since I sold my Yamaha Grizzly and the CRF450 before I traded my 14 AT for the 15 AT I wasn't concerned that it wasn't equipped with JL1. Have not towed but once with the 15 so I haven't installed my P3 controller. If I do install it will be in the pocket above the 4x4 switch. Banged my knee quite a few times with it in the 12 2500HD and swore never again to mount under dash.

Then it's still considered not possible. No brake controller is worth 5k end of story. If someone can go the route of the pigtail and a 100.00 aftermarket controller, 5k is the stupidest waste of 4900.00 ever. If you spend that money even as someone who has the expendable cash your an idiot. Better to take the hit on going upside down for 5k on a new truck. If you dump the serviceability, that's a minimum of 5k more loss to the majority of owners, and that's if you got a truck that's not problematic - we all know about 8-10 nagging things these trucks tend to go back for service on and we won't repair ourselves.

You are confusing possible with practical. All you need is a donor truck and BCM reprogramming. If you can't do it yourself, there are people offering this service out there for a fee. You don't have to drop the 5 grand if you can write and program the BCM yourself. You can do it for the cost of the donor truck parts.

i'd sell my truck for a loss and get a truck with brake controller for that price.

You are confusing possible with practical. All you need is a donor truck and BCM reprogramming. If you can't do it yourself, there are people offering this service out there for a fee. You don't have to drop the 5 grand if you can write and program the BCM yourself. You can do it for the cost of the donor truck parts.

Now I dont know what the cost of BCM programming is but A LOT of people have the BCM programed for different mods and I have a hard time believing that PCM programming is anywhere near $4000 because you cant possible have more than a grand in parts. Either way its stupid. I could see it if it was going to cost $800 total or something as it will add to the resale value but anything more than that is stupid and I would also sell my truck for a loss and get one that had the brake controller before I dropped $5k. Anything is possible if you throw enough money at it, but how would be so stupid?