Integrated brake control

You are confusing possible with practical. All you need is a donor truck and BCM reprogramming. If you can't do it yourself, there are people offering this service out there for a fee. You don't have to drop the 5 grand if you can write and program the BCM yourself. You can do it for the cost of the donor truck parts.

Maybe you can install the OEM switch and panel and maybe even program the BCM to recognize it.......but no way to get full OEM electronic capability for digital readout in the DIC and interface with the steering wheel controls in addition to the panel switch and control buttons. And at $275 added to the MSRP sticker, no reason not to get it on a new truck if you even suspect one day you will tow something. Was a positive item when I traded the Avy that helped me get top dollar for the trade.

post-156616-0-33664200-1491866037_thumb.jpg

post-156616-0-28248500-1491866079_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thomcat

Maybe you can install the OEM switch and panel and maybe even program the BCM to recognize it.......but no way to get full OEM electronic capability for digital readout in the DIC and interface with the steering wheel controls in addition to the panel switch and control buttons. And at $275 added to the MSRP sticker, no reason not to get it on a new truck if you even suspect one day you will tow something. Was a positive item when I traded the Avy that helped me get top dollar for the trade.

You also won't get the integration with the ABS system which is used if the truck senses trailer sway.

And at $275 added to the MSRP sticker, no reason not to get it on a new truck if you even suspect one day you will tow something. Was a positive item when I traded the Avy that helped me get top dollar for the trade.

This. It is what I did. I will likely never use it, as my trailer doesn't have brakes, but I didn't want the "empty" spot there to remind me I could have had it if I ended up having to get a trailer with brakes for some new toy to haul around. So the $200 was nothing on the $55K price.

The only option I didn't order was the rear entertainment system. Would never use it, but then, it was $2000 instead of $200. :)

This. It is what I did. I will likely never use it, as my trailer doesn't have brakes, but I didn't want the "empty" spot there to remind me I could have had it if I ended up having to get a trailer with brakes for some new toy to haul around. So the $200 was nothing on the $55K price.

The only option I didn't order was the rear entertainment system. Would never use it, but then, it was $2000 instead of $200. :)

It is even more important when towing a trailer that doesn't have electric brakes. As previous poster mentioned, and I neglected to mention, the OEM trailer braking package interfaces with your antilock brake system and contains additional software enhancing the stock vehicle's anti-skid software to provide the more important trailer anti-sway function.

Is it possible to add the factory integrated brake controller to a 2017 Silverado LTZ?

Thanks!

Lets make this easy. You can't add the factory brake controller. Does not plug and play. Grab a nice aftermarket one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

We need to figure out a way to wire the flush factory control head into an aftermarket controller that would be installed out of site leaving you with a flush factory look. If we found the pinout to the factory plug and then opened up the board on an aftermarket controller and soldered in the correct inputs it should work shouldn't it?

• 5 years later...

Its sad to say that all the GM engineers and technicians can not figure out how to add a factory trailer brake controller to an existing vehicle.

I have the dash switch and pigtail (wiring harness). 

GM says "it can't be done"!

Bull crap! If its physically there from the factory why can't GM mirror the parts and procedure??

On 9/22/2017 at 2:00 PM, goodtimes78209 said:

We need to figure out a way to wire the flush factory control head into an aftermarket controller that would be installed out of site leaving you with a flush factory look. If we found the pinout to the factory plug and then opened up the board on an aftermarket controller and soldered in the correct inputs it should work shouldn't it?

Yes yes. I think that would work.

Wonder how to find the information that is needed?