If you have factory navigation you can download destinations from the free OnStar app. The maps on there are more up to date than the fixed maps on the nav system. So that's kind of a way to bypass the out of date maps on your factory nav.

Only if you have a paid OnStar plan that includes navigation. You don't get it with the free "Basic" plan.

not stealing the thread and im to new to even know what im talking about but i thought if you had the 8 inch with intellilink you could connect your android phone to it for navigation

Only if you have Android Auto (or Apple CarPlay) which is only available on 2017's and some 2016's.

I have come up with a cheat to add in dash sat nav to my 17 LT that did not come with it. Well kind of. I am going to be upgrading my phone (Samsung Galaxy S5) this month. I am going to leave this old phone in the truck hooked to the USB port all the time. It will connect to the trucks wifi hotspot every time the vehicle is started. So all I need to do is touch the Android Auto icon and I have my sat nav. This way my new phone is hooked to the truck with bluetooth for calls, text and music without having to be hooked to a cable and having Android Auto hijack my phone so it can't do anything else.

That is the plan anyway. Can't see why it wont work.

It won't work unless you keep your old phone number active on your old phone and take a new number on your new phone or buy AT&T data through GM. You need mobile data to make the maps work. When you upgrade your phone your cell provider will deactivate your phone number on your old phone.

It's a good idea -- you'll just need to make sure you maintain mobile data on your old phone somehow for it to work.

I didn't use this specific one, but a similar one via EBAY. I gave them my VIN, paid $600 and they shipped me a HMI module. Took 10 minutes, to install and had built in NAV. I think the newer IOS units cost more cause they have the text to speech and the carplay stuff.

It worked fine, and was better than onstar (a handled map is better if you ask me). But,to be honest, if you have a smartphone just get a holder and save the $$$.

Only if you have a paid OnStar plan that includes navigation. You don't get it with the free "Basic" plan.

Yes you do. I haven't had OnStar for nearly a year and a half and the OnStar app with maps still works. I can send the destination from my phone to my in-dash nav or to the DIC.

• Like 1

Well "The best laid schemes o' mice and men gang aft agley".....Robert Burns.

And, I can.....been there, done that. Your only hope (likely in vain) is that the '17 GMC/Silverado USBs operate different than the '17 Impalas or you drive your '17 for a few hours each day to keep the phone charged. After the 5 - 10 minute accessory retained power terminates the USB ports go dead as a power saving measure. So my S7, simply by being turned on and periodically pinging the cell towers, goes dead in about 36-48 hours. Once completely discharged and power is restored the unit remains off and requires a restart by pressing the power button and if required entry of a password before the Projection button on the MYLink will recognize the phone and switch from Projection to Auto Android. So I am forced to either wait for power to return to USB ports at key-on and restart the dead, charging phone or turn the phone off if the vehicle will not be used for a few days and restart the charged phone when ready and saving the phone's boot-up time.

That is good to know. So if I am going to park the truck for more then a day or so I will power down the phone. Thank you for the post sir.

It won't work unless you keep your old phone number active on your old phone and take a new number on your new phone or buy AT&T data through GM. You need mobile data to make the maps work. When you upgrade your phone your cell provider will deactivate your phone number on your old phone.

It's a good idea -- you'll just need to make sure you maintain mobile data on your old phone somehow for it to work.

My "Nav" phone will connect to the trucks wifi hotspot (data from onstar) for its data so that should not be a problem. Thank you for your post.

Yes you do. I haven't had OnStar for nearly a year and a half and the OnStar app with maps still works. I can send the destination from my phone to my in-dash nav or to the DIC.

So even without onstar service the Map part of the my chevy app with still work and I can still upload a route to the truck? Do I understand you correctly sir?

So don't tear me apart too bad as I'm just curious... but 95% of people have a smartphone now. So, why not just use the Android or Apple navigation that is always up to date and free on your smartphone instead of paying $500 to $1000 extra? Even if you don't use Android auto or Apple car play.

I couldn't justify paying that much for something that is guaranteed to be outdated with in 6 months from now, then have to keep going to the dealer for updates which may or may not be available when you need them.

I have nav and still use Apple Maps (which are not even as good as Google Maps) over it all the time. I don't know why most would use the nav system let alone pay more for it.

What i was about to say. I just use the maps in my Note 4 and turn the volume up (or connect it to bluetooth). If im solo i just pop it in the dash clip that holds the phone (what those uber drivers use)

Not paying that extra

• Like 1

Well "The best laid schemes o' mice and men gang aft agley".....Robert Burns.

And, I can.....been there, done that. Your only hope (likely in vain) is that the '17 GMC/Silverado USBs operate different than the '17 Impalas or you drive your '17 for a few hours each day to keep the phone charged. After the 5 - 10 minute accessory retained power terminates the USB ports go dead as a power saving measure. So my S7, simply by being turned on and periodically pinging the cell towers, goes dead in about 36-48 hours. Once completely discharged and power is restored the unit remains off and requires a restart by pressing the power button and if required entry of a password before the Projection button on the MYLink will recognize the phone and switch from Projection to Auto Android. So I am forced to either wait for power to return to USB ports at key-on and restart the dead, charging phone or turn the phone off if the vehicle will not be used for a few days and restart the charged phone when ready and saving the phone's boot-up time.

The USB port in the glove box is on all the time. It doesnt ever shut off. Its made for charging your phone while your are away from your truck and giving you a means to secure it via locking it in the glove box.

• Like 1

The USB port in the glove box is on all the time. It doesnt ever shut off. Its made for charging your phone while your are away from your truck and giving you a means to secure it via locking it in the glove box.

I was originally addressing how the USB ports work in my '17 Impala, too bad because it has a hidden motorized compartment with a USB port ideal for leaving it secured 24/7. I never had to use the USB ports in my Silvy for other than flash drives for mp3 music or mp4 videos, and never tried the USB port in the lockable glovebox.

But, I just tested all of the USB ports in my Silvy including the one in my glovebox and they are all remain as dead as King Tut after key-off and retained power expires. Any '16 Silverado with 24/7 active USB ports must be either exceptional or magical because all mine shut off with the key-off after the retained power timeout. If it is earlier than a '16, like my '15 Traverse which has a 24/7 active front panel USB the point is irrelevant because unfortunately there is no Auto Android function with Google Map capability available in the MyLink for earlier models.

• Like 1

My "Nav" phone will connect to the trucks wifi hotspot (data from onstar) for its data so that should not be a problem. Thank you for your post.

So even without onstar service the Map part of the my chevy app with still work and I can still upload a route to the truck? Do I understand you correctly sir?

OnStar subscription with an active hotspot - no problem with connecting

Even without a paid OnStar subscription (I cancelled mine) some OnStar functions are provided to GM owners for five years from new car purchase, e.g limited Email status reports and some on Star services through the MyChevrolet app on your Android.

Just tried it and NO, the map function in the MyChevrolet app will work and you can search for an address, but you must have an active OnStar subscription to load via wifi onto your vehicle.....when you hit the OnStarNav icon on the Mylink it will connect you to OnStar and if you are willing t take out a paid subsctiption with Nav it will enable the MyChevrolet map to be upload to the vehicle through OnStar.

What my posts refer to is the ability for '16 and later MyLink 8" screens to connect through a USB port to many later model iPhone or Auto Android phones for hands free telephone/text operation, playing of stored music ,and with Internet access to Google Maps the same functions available as on your PC......either a destination route can be entered on the phone for access through the AutoAndroid touch application on the MyLink or you can directly access all Google Map functions by touch screen or voice command. As soon as a phone with the AutoAndroid app is plugged into a data USB port (not a charge only USB port) and the app set for data transfer, the MyLink Projection icon changes to an AutoAndroid icon which when pressed rings up a different proprietary screen with new multiple icons for directly accessing a Google map with the current vehicle location as well as visual/audio phone functions, music stored on the phone etc. The 3D Google map screen depicting the current vehicle location contains a submenu for accessing map search functions by touch screen as well as responding to voice commands.

• Like 1

OnStar subscription with an active hotspot - no problem with connecting

Even without a paid OnStar subscription (I cancelled mine) some OnStar functions are provided to GM owners for five years from new car purchase, e.g limited Email status reports and some on Star services through the MyChevrolet app on your Android.

Just tried it and NO, the map function in the MyChevrolet app will work and you can search for an address, but you must have an active OnStar subscription to load via wifi onto your vehicle.....when you hit the OnStarNav icon on the Mylink it will connect you to OnStar and if you are willing t take out a paid subsctiption with Nav it will enable the MyChevrolet map to be upload to the vehicle through OnStar.

What my posts refer to is the ability for '16 and later MyLink 8" screens to connect through a USB port to many later model iPhone or Auto Android phones for hands free telephone/text operation, playing of stored music ,and with Internet access to Google Maps the same functions available as on your PC......either a destination route can be entered on the phone for access through the AutoAndroid touch application on the MyLink or you can directly access all Google Map functions by touch screen or voice command. As soon as a phone with the AutoAndroid app is plugged into a data USB port (not a charge only USB port) and the app set for data transfer, the MyLink Projection icon changes to an AutoAndroid icon which when pressed rings up a different proprietary screen with new multiple icons for directly accessing a Google map with the current vehicle location as well as visual/audio phone functions, music stored on the phone etc. The 3D Google map screen depicting the current vehicle location contains a submenu for accessing map search functions by touch screen as well as responding to voice commands.

Exactly this.

Absolutely!

Not necessarily. It works for some and not for others. I have the free 5 year Basic plan and mine does NOT let me download a route just like Thomcat's post I quoted above.

Exactly this.

Not necessarily. It works for some and not for others. I have the free 5 year Basic plan and mine does NOT let me download a route just like Thomcat's post I quoted above.

I can't speak to the "MyChevrolet" app as I've never used it. I use the OnStar app. All of our trucks include a 5 year Basic OnStar plan. The basic plan includes route downloads (if you have in-dash nav). If yours doesn't work, contact OnStar.

"The OnStar Basic Plan is available for up to 5 years from the original delivery date on new, eligible 2014a model year and newerb vehicles and is transferable; and for three years for new subscribers of eligible 2011 model year or newer, OnStar-equipped, pre-owned vehicles. Basic Plan includes Advanced Diagnosticsc, Dealer Maintenance Notification, and access to select mobile app featuresd. Basic Plan does not include emergency, security, or Turn-by-Turn Navigation, which require a paid subscription or add-on plan. Ability to send a destination to a vehicle’s in-dash navigation screen through a smartphone is available in Basic Plan for 2011 model year and newer vehicles with an embedded navigation system."

Also, I'm not talking about downloading via WiFi. Mine uploads via phone service and downloads through the truck's OnStar phone line.

Edited by TxTruckMan