Exactly this.

Not necessarily. It works for some and not for others. I have the free 5 year Basic plan and mine does NOT let me download a route just like Thomcat's post I quoted above.

Never said that the 5 year plan lets you download a route for this you need OnStar plus the additional Navigation/routes package.....it doesn't

The free OnStar 5 year basic/MyChevrolet only shows a map of where your vehicles is located. What I said was that you can do a Google map search and set directions for a preset route while in your home or somewhere else using the AutoAndroid app in your cellphone, and then when you plug your cellphone into the '16/'17s vehicle's USB port and touch the AutoAndroid app in the 8" MyLink screen the route will upload to the MyLink and all the Google GPS related voice commands active through the vehicle's command sysem. Similarly all the phone's automute, dialing, contacts, and music mp3s etc accessible simultaneously through the MyLink/AA interface. A real bummer it is not available for my '15 Traverse because it's 4.6" Nav screen is for crap.

Projection icon and AA function may not be available on all trucks even with an 8" MyLink screen.........seems GM ran out of AA capable HMI modules midyear for some Silvys/Sierras and for a period of time substituted modules without AA capability and for those the MSRP sticker showed a $200 credit for the deletion.

Edited by Thomcat

Never said that the 5 year plan lets you download a route for this you need OnStar plus the additional Navigation/routes package.....it doesn't

The free OnStar 5 year basic/MyChevrolet only shows a map of where your vehicles is located. What I said was that you can do a Google map search and set directions for a preset route while in your home or somewhere else using the AutoAndroid app in your cellphone, and then when you plug your cellphone into the '16/'17s vehicle's USB port and touch the AutoAndroid app in the 8" MyLink screen the route will upload to the MyLink and all the Google GPS related voice commands active through the vehicle's command sysem. Similarly all the phone's automute, dialing, contacts, and music mp3s etc accessible simultaneously through the MyLink/AA interface. A real bummer it is not available for my '15 Traverse because it's 4.6" Nav screen is for crap.

Projection icon and AA function may not be available on all trucks even with an 8" MyLink screen.........seems GM ran out of AA capable HMI modules midyear for some Silvys/Sierras and for a period of time substituted modules without AA capability and for those the MSRP sticker showed a $200 credit for the deletion.

Thomcat:

I agree with you. The second part of my post was quoting TxTruckMan who stated that through the OnStar app, with just the Basic plan, he is able to download routes from the app to the in-dash nav. He was not talking about Android Auto.

Again, I quoted your entire earlier post because you nailed it.

TxTruckMan:

The OnStar app is no longer supported and has been replaced by individual apps for Chevy, GMC, Buick, and Cadillac. Lucky for you if it still works. I say use it as long as you can!!

• 5 months later...

Was about to give away my faithful Garmin when I received a letter to purchase a map update for my 2016 Chevy Silverado. It's still under warranty so figured it was a scam. Why would Chevy charge for updates I get free with my Garmin? I paid just under $300 for the Garmin and get FREE map updates I paid just over $30,000 for the Silverado and they want $200 or more for map updates. What's wrong with this picture? If Chevy wants repeat customers they need to be a little more customer friendly. Free map and computer updates would be a good customer incentive.

Apple car play works great, no way I would spend a dollar on onstar or anything else. I can take a pic in the morning if anyone is curious as to what it looks like on the screen. Another plus to it is Siri will read you your text and you can respond without touching your phone.

only with good cell service.....

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2017 at 9:29 PM, ZMOM said:

Was about to give away my faithful Garmin when I received a letter to purchase a map update for my 2016 Chevy Silverado. It's still under warranty so figured it was a scam. Why would Chevy charge for updates I get free with my Garmin? I paid just under $300 for the Garmin and get FREE map updates I paid just over $30,000 for the Silverado and they want $200 or more for map updates. What's wrong with this picture? If Chevy wants repeat customers they need to be a little more customer friendly. Free map and computer updates would be a good customer incentive.

GM (and most other car manufacturers) have always charged for updates.  The GM system is designed around Navteq GPS and can only use their updates.  The only official place to get updates is http://www.gmnavdisc.com

I agree they should include updates.  You pay $150 for a portable GPS and get free updates but you pay $1100 to add the factory nav and they want to charge you $150 a year for updates!!

• 3 months later...
On 4/6/2017 at 3:02 AM, MrSteam said:

I have come up with a cheat to add in dash sat nav to my 17 LT that did not come with it. Well kind of. I am going to be upgrading my phone (Samsung Galaxy S5) this month. I am going to leave this old phone in the truck hooked to the USB port all the time. It will connect to the trucks wifi hotspot every time the vehicle is started. So all I need to do is touch the Android Auto icon and I have my sat nav. This way my new phone is hooked to the truck with bluetooth for calls, text and music without having to be hooked to a cable and having Android Auto hijack my phone so it can't do anything else.

That is the plan anyway. Can't see why it wont work.

I tested this and found that it works, kind of. The only problem is that when I have my old phone hooked up with Android Auto Bluetooth is disabled so I can't make calls using the trucks hands free. I have yet to find a work around for that.

19 hours ago, MrSteam said:

I tested this and found that it works, kind of. The only problem is that when I have my old phone hooked up with Android Auto Bluetooth is disabled so I can't make calls using the trucks hands free. I have yet to find a work around for that.

Why not just use the new phone for both Nav and hands free phone calls while connected to Android auto? Am i missing something?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2018 at 3:40 PM, Loco-diablo said:

Why not just use the new phone for both Nav and hands free phone calls while connected to Android auto? Am i missing something?

You are right you can. I was trying to find a way to do it without Andriod Auto hijacking my phone so I could still do other things with my phone on a long trip and have a satnav at the same time (in the passenger's seat of course).

I just installed this, this past weekend and it works flawlessly.  I also already subscribe to SiriusXM and contacted them to add the extra Travel Link and Traffic.  This gives you weather and traffic updates as you drive, including re-routing you around accidents and fastest routes much like Google Maps.  FYI, once you do the update, you'll need to speak to a level II Tech with SiriusXM to override their systems.  GM, in all of its infinite wisdom sends Sirius XM a list of trucks that are and are NOT equipped with the iO6 navigation system.  So, they have to go into their system manually and override the fact that your truck satellite radio will show up as NOT being able to receive the Travel Link and Traffic signal; but this isn't the case.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Refurbished-2014-OEM-GM-CHEVY-SILVERADO-navigation-IO5-IO6-upgrade-I05I06-GPS/162793537132?hash=item25e7403e6c:g:zJkAAOSwAYtWICUf&vxp=mtr

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2018 at 11:18 AM, mgoodling44 said:

So, I've read through this thread, and it sounds like if you have a 2014 model, that  you cannot project android auto to the screen.  Is that correct, or did I misread?  

I just tried and can't get mine to....

Edited by Ron505

On 4/1/2018 at 11:18 AM, mgoodling44 said:

So, I've read through this thread, and it sounds like if you have a 2014 model, that  you cannot project android auto to the screen.  Is that correct, or did I misread?  

Correct.  GM added that feature in 2016.  The only way you can get Android Auto and Apple CarPlay is by replacing the HMI.  Chris White at MVI (and on these forums) can do that for you but you need to follow his instructions since the HMI has to be programmed to your VIN before you install it or you will brick it.

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2017 at 7:49 AM, ram1067 said:

only with good cell service.....

Google Maps let's you download map areas for offline use. Was very helpful when I was up in the mountains in Colorado last week with no service at all. 

• 9 months later...

I'm shopping for a used 2017-18 Silverado LTZ, and would like to have GPS without OnStar.  I see upgrading is fairly simple - there are many videos on YouTube which should make it simple.  Not for ME mind you, but for my BFF mechanic who can probably knock it out in under an hour.  There are a number of places offering the gear for $800-$1000, but there are also a lot of sellers on eBay offering them for as little as $200.  My question is this: are there different variants of the box?  If so, how do I determine whether a box is a match for my vehicle?  And is there some subsequent programming required and if so, where do I find a technician who can do that?  Any help I can get would be appreciated.