GM Borla Arrives Today - Cold Feet

Man I must be getting old. Do I really prefer a quiet truck? After two exhaust systems and an intake went on my truck and came right back off I had decided to just stick with stock. Then I stumbled on an open box never installed GM Borla system that was so cheap I almost hurt my thumb hitting the Buy it Now button. Well it will be delivered today and I have this weird non-excited - going to make another mistake feeling in my stomach. Tell me I am wrong and life will be good once installed? Did I mention my wife will flip out when she the now 3rd exhaust box in the driveway? Yikes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

These motors can sound very good.

Spend some time with a vette or camaro, I could not believe I had the same powerplant. They sound awesome up close. With the right exhaust it could be very enjoyable.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Diy sound deadoning for the most part is a huge waste of time and money.

You can't half ass it, you have to know what you are doing.

I completely stripped the interior of a sports car and installed sound deadoning. It was a pain getting the interior to fit right after, it made almost no difference in sound, and added like 50-75lb to the weight of the car. Never again.

I have to disagree. I did a basic application of dynamat to the rear wall and part of the rear floor and it made a huge difference. It's not rolls Royce quiet but definitely smoothed out the nasty noises from having a Corsa sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diy sound deadoning for the most part is a huge waste of time and money.

You can't half ass it, you have to know what you are doing.

I completely stripped the interior of a sports car and installed sound deadoning. It was a pain getting the interior to fit right after, it made almost no difference in sound, and added like 50-75lb to the weight of the car. Never again.

there is a serious noticeable difference,

sorry your results but based on your added weight actually tells me its not enough, nor did you say what you used or vehicle, I can see 70lbs in a corvette but not in a CC truck? 6 sheets of LLP is 75lbs +(which is what I used but didn't use it all there are scraps), I added the CLD which is another 125lbs +/-, I believe with foam and tape I about 200-220lbs total.

I stated in the above if I had to pick a section do it would be the roof, I can't hear rain drops anymore like when sitting in a parking lot and they hit the roof, huge difference right there. (on the entire K2xx chassis the roof thats the weakest link, there is almost no insulation, think about it, our heads/ears are closer to the roof than the floor.

There was no need to dual layer this type of CLD, as you can see I stitched it together and then taped the seams.

I only ran into 3 issues getting around the head liner b/c you can't remove it without pulling the windshield, 2nd the left rear seat belt needed more room so I cut very small cutout for that belt mech.... 3rd door panels where they bolt in the center needed more clearance outside of that no issues, not difficult to pull the interior, I would say more time consuming. Taking apart GM vehicles is like legos compared to MB.

you can clearly see I took the time to mark the interior metal in areas silver Sharpe and "X"'s, I made templates using clear plastic protective wrap. Just sticking stuff down doesn't work if you dont plan.

I can tell you since we have loads of road construction here in DFW TX, the road surface makes the biggest difference at highway speeds for in cab quietness.

Sound deadener absolutely makes a difference. I did just the hatch area and doors of my 99 Camaro and it totally changed the harmonics inside the car. I can actually carry a conversation inside of it now where before between the locker and exhaust noise it was difficult.

Entire truck, except dash! This should answer your questions

When I say my truck is uber quiet I mean it! Not saying its the quietest on the planet but its quietest I have ever rode in.

IMO sound deadening importance on location based on doing this to 3 of my vehicles.

1. Roof (single largest piece of sheet metal CCSB, so much sound travels through the thin sheet metal, If I had to pick only 1 that makes the biggest difference its the roof, its also PITA)

​2. Doors (not as much deadening as you think) however GM's glass is thicker and door seals are fantastic, but he doors need some help.

​3. Bottom (lots of noise and heat, duh)

​4. Rear & pillars (had to take this apart to get to the floor, might as well do it right)

​5. Front fender wells (sound gets in from the air gap between the body and fender to the door) see 2nd post below there is a piece of blueish carpet cotton for deadening.

90bb3f7c73468115ff58e61eae8c4c32.jpg

I see Second Skin's Luxury Liner. Why Knu Koncepts' sound deadener instead of Second Skin's?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see Second Skin's Luxury Liner. Why Knu Koncepts' sound deadener instead of Second Skin's?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I sampled Second Skin, Baam Mat, Sound Skins, Amazon Russia black aka "crap", Stinger CLD 80mil. Sheer volume I used 3.25 boxes (lots of scraps left over), 4 boxes is 210 SQFT that's 700+ dollars for CLD. Its damn nice to work with smaller pieces, they can be installed quickly and 100mil thick its a serious contender way under rated for the price and quality, including the butyl rubber it was awesome.

You really got to see the stuff in person and work with as much as I did.

I sampled Second Skin, Baam Mat, Sound Skins, Amazon Russia black aka "crap", Stinger CLD 80mil. Sheer volume I used 3.25 boxes (lots of scraps left over), 4 boxes is 210 SQFT that's 700+ dollars for CLD. Its damn nice to work with smaller pieces, they can be installed quickly and 100mil thick its a serious contender way under rated for the price and quality, including the butyl rubber it was awesome.

You really got to see the stuff in person and work with as much as I did.

Makes sense. Crazy how much they're charging for it now. I used their earlier stuff on my previous vehicle and covered everything like you did. Really quieted down the cabin.

This time I think I'll target certain areas and use the Luxury Liner Pro in my Yukon.

Makes sense. Crazy how much they're charging for it now. I used their earlier stuff on my previous vehicle and covered everything like you did. Really quieted down the cabin.

This time I think I'll target certain areas and use the Luxury Liner Pro in my Yukon.

LLP extremely heavy, IMO best CC foam and MLV product that exists today, you won't be disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the gm borla installed. It took me a little longer than I hoped but I think I'm good to go. The flex pipe up front almost touches the cross frame member. Have to keep an eye on it. Getting the rear pipes to line up added some time too.

Overall it was just what I was looking for. Just louder stock, but barks good when floored. If you like a loud exhaust get the borla Stype the gm is very tame.cbaa802a3e1f586c64764ea5578d02aa.jpg

Finally got the gm borla installed. It took me a little longer than I hoped but I think I'm good to go. The flex pipe up front almost touches the cross frame member. Have to keep an eye on it. Getting the rear pipes to line up added some time too.

Overall it was just what I was looking for. Just louder stock, but barks good when floored. If you like a loud exhaust get the borla Stype the gm is very tame.

Shamrock, you can bend the I-pipe exhaust hanger down, in turn it will all for more clearance I think Boral's welding jig is messed up. I have lots more clearance.

are you going to share pics of your I-pipe in the other tread about the new flapper you said the 5.3 flappers are different.

Shamrock, you can bend the I-pipe exhaust hanger down, in turn it will all for more clearance I think Boral's welding jig is messed up. I have lots more clearance.

are you going to share pics of your I-pipe in the other tread about the new flapper you said the 5.3 flappers are different.

I didn't get a side by side but here it is. How do you bend the hanger? 1a25c7ba46c897f7beac2f9d10cb142f.jpg

I didn't get a side by side but here it is. How do you bend the hanger?

I supported the pipe before the valve/flapper, then used a large pry bar to pry it down, I found a stud to support the tip of the pry bar and give it the beans

Archived