So, I'm 23 and I do dumb things sometimes....

Where I live in upstate NY we're currently undergoing a flash flood warning, and I'm currently working down some real rough (pothole and rut galore) dirt and gravel roads a good 45 minutes from civilization. A buddy and I decided to grab a bite to eat and brave the trail in my Silverado as it was the only vehicle available. For those who don't know, my truck is a two wheel drive V6 with the Z60 street suspension, saved only by Duratracs and a G80. A couple hours of Jurassic Park I moments later, we made it to town and back safe and sound with sustenance. The worst thing that may have happened is my alignment may not be perfect anymore, but it seemed fine after getting to paved roads. Long story short is I absolutely love my truck, it took on those trails which in a couple cases were flooded by 2 inches or so of water at the shallowest, potholes upwards of probably 6 inches deep with nowhere to turn, and ruts that became muddy channels of despair for your tires. I was able to chug along at a solid 15-20 miles per hour with full confidence. It will be hard for me to ever really justify the need for a V8 or 4x4 in a truck in the future.

GM builds a capable truck. With that G80 locker and some good tires, you can get out of a lot of trouble. Make sure to get your alignment checked at your next oil change.

I've been in a lot of bad places in my youth in a 2wd truck with no locker! My first two trucks were 2wd (82 and 92 silvys) and I still went hunting and up nasty muddy roads just had to take my time and pay more attention to wheel placement plus put a load of sand in the bed in the winter time.

I spent my youth "off roading" (mostly trails) in a 2wd open diff 5spd S-10 with street tires in the front and snow tires on the back going the same places as my buddies in their 4x4 Tacomas and Broncos. So long as you don't stop, you can get through a lot with 2wd. But you can't compare a road with pot holes and puddles to real off roading.

Eh i'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it (been there all too many times) I wouldn't even really care about the engine in that scenario. I'd take a v6 and 4x4 over a v8 2wd every day. My first truck was 2wd. Even with maxxis mudders on i couldn't really go anywhere on the farm or to the hunting camp on the weekend.

Prime example. My friends and I were all staying at the camp one weekend. It had been pouring rain. We went in two different groups. The other group didn't know the exact way to get there once through the gate. I told them explicitly when the gravel runs out turn left, do not go straight. Which was a logger's road with no gravel on it. They went straight, his 4WD didn't work in his old sierra. He got stuck. We went to pull him out in my truck, it got stuck. Had it not been for a friend of a friend with 4wd being there on the weekend we'd have been walking miles back to the camp in rain. So yeah give me 4wd lol.

Every truck I buy, I buy 4WD. To me, its like buying a fighter jet, but not buying the ammunition. :)

As said above, I'd rather have it and not need it. And there have been times I've needed it. To me, its not like its some super expensive option in the grand scheme of the overall purchase that breaks the deal.

Plus, with a 6.2L, its fun when some Raptor or Hemi Ram gets up next to you at a light and wants a go, to put it in 4Hi, turn off traction control, load up to 1500rpm, and then swap the pedal positions. No slip and they don't stand a chance. :)

It is stories like this that make me laugh and the reason a good portion of the 4wd trucks down here in the south never even needed it let alone use it. If it isn't for show they bought it for the rarely light snow that does not hinder driving or the occasional ice storm that said people have no business being out in to begin with. That or those that say better have it than not and need it types like that is justification, all the added expense and costs are 10 times what an occasional tow would cost over the life of the vehicle. Most just need to be honest, they bought it for an image and will never truly need it to make it worth the purchase...

Nice story OP, thanks for sharing.

Tyler

If persons are in the south especially in Texas around hunting season they'll see why they drive 4WDs. From September till the end of hunting season they're out on ROWs checking out their stands and feeders. Most of time in that period you'll need 4WD. I know most of my work involved being on those ROWs even if you carry or tow a ATV those roads to the ROW can get nasty. Last time I checked 4WD upgrade wasn't that much. It's not just for snow.

81 Toyota 2wd diesel 5 speed manual was my first truck. No AC and an AM radio....but with good snow tires, it went pretty darn good on the old Anthracite coal roads......

I don't know exactly how much snow upstate NY gets (depends where)....but I can say in western NY snow belt, it's not uncommon to wake up to 2-3 feet of snow overnight. We've gotten upwards of 10 feet over 3 days before and 4wd is almost a necessity. Not to mention ski country is very hilly too....bare minimum FWD with snow tires.

Archived