NorCalSLT's Summit White 2017 Sierra 1500 5.3L SLT CC SB 4x4 Build

NorCalSLT

Hello everyone!

This thread will serve as my personal build & service log and allow others to follow along.

I just got myself a dream of a truck, a 2017 Summit White Sierra 1500 5.3L SLT CC SB 4x4! This is my first GMC and my first brand new vehicle I have ever owned.
Package options: SLT CC Premium Package, Power Sunroof, Full Feature Front Bucket Seats/Center Console, Intellilink 8" Touch Premium Audio w/ Nav, Trailer Brake Controller, and an optional 3.42 gear ratio.

post-171329-0-29824900-1491631581_thumb.jpg

While it is still very new, I already have some modifications planned out!
Tint, Air Intake, Cat-Back Exhaust, 2.5" level, 33" Toyo MT rubber, Console Vault, some customized LED lighting, and a DiabLew custom tune are all on the list.
As always, I'm sure the future holds some more.

First the tinting to keep out the heat/uv and provide a clean look. This time around I will be stepping up the tint game by going with Suntek CXP which is a Non-Metal, Nano-Hybrid, Carbon Construction tint. Excellent for beating the heat, infrared, and UV rays with impressive Total Solar Energy Rejection (TSER) ratings compared to the competition, it also comes with lifetime mfg warranty including fade. It should be noted that it does not interfere with any electronic signals like some metallic based tints.
Suntek CXP 80 will be going on the full windshield, the sunroof, and the factory rear three windows while providing 44% TSER but with almost no color shade at 80% VLT.

Suntek CXP 35 which has 53 TSER and a 33% VLT will be applied to front driver & passenger to match the factory rear three window's color shade while providing the heat refraction advantages.
With a white truck and full heat protection on the windows all around, I will be very much looking forward to testing the setup this summer as local temps can reach 118 during the summer. One of the reasons I did NOT pick a black color vehicle. :)
I already have the appointment made so this should be something you all can take a peek at relatively soon!

Moving onto the performance based mods I intend to install an air intake system, a cat-back exhaust, and possibly a custom tune.
The air intake system I chose to go with is the Airaid Jr. which for around $200 provided the biggest bang for the buck and was recommended across many forums.
This includes an intake tube to replace the horribly choked up stock intake box and a SynthaMax Dry filter.
Typically users report 8-12hp gain and sometimes up to 2MPG improvements over stock.
While there may be some fancier options available such as CAI or AFE Power they don't seem to yield any additional benefits besides looking pretty and that alone won't convince me to part with my hard earned clams.

To be continued...

Edited by NorCalSLT
  • Like 1

Continued from Part 1...

I chose the Corsa 14873 cat-back exhaust system after spending alot of time reviewing sound samples through youtube videos.
I particularly like the sound of its bark upon cold start up and the moderate sound it produces during real world driving (low to mid range). When really stomped on it produces a very loud note with raspy attitude behind it.
I ultimately chose the Corsa over the Borla S type because I dont prefer the lower deep smooth tone of the Borla, because to me the Corsa has more of a character to its sound.
Its ordered and should arrive in around 8 days!

I intend to get a Diablo Sport intune i2 with a custom DiabLew tune.
There are many satisfied customers of Lew and I feel confident that a proper custom tune will pair nicely with the intake and exhaust to produce a healthy and fun performance package.
Also since I want to run larger spec tires I will want to adjust the speedometer to be accurate and the tuner will allow that.
That wraps up my current plans for performance.

As for my lift/level plans the Rough Country 2.5" lift/level kit is ordered and should be here within a day or two.
This is a widely respected kit and should allow me to run 33" tires with minimal rubbing against the sway bar at full lock.
I had my eyes on the Toyo 33" Open Country MT's but have been advised against it by a few tire shops due to the extreme local summer heat citing very short tire life.
Another set of rubber that has my eye is the Nitto Trail Grappler in 295/55/20 trim, similar appearance but All Terrain based and should last much longer.

Lastly I want to add a Console Vault, essentially a 12g safe with combo lock that bolts to the frame inside of our giant center consoles.
Its great to have a safe place to store valuables.

Edited by NorCalSLT

I installed the Corsa Sport 14873 yesterday.

I placed two cuts of 4x4 wood on top of my jack and then lifted the truck from right in front of the right rear tire where the frame drops down towards the ground and then supported with jack stands.
Was able to get full suspension droop this way and I was able to remove the stock exhaust in one piece.

Its a tight fit but with two people and going slow and surely you can manage by rotating the muffler about 120 degrees when it reaches the rear axle and then continue sliding it out the rear.

The new Corsa went in easily, I supported the muffler with some jack stands and a towel to stop any scratching. Started at front and worked back.
Took me about 2 hours to remove old and install new and finalize the angles and torque.

Started up and was extremely pleased. Very nice V8 bark upon cold start, settles down into nice rumble as it warms up.
Perfect amount of volume and great attitude/tone with regular driving. Step on it and it becomes an animal.
I would highly recommend to others and I will post a video soon.

Late last week I got the tint put on, I think it came out fantastic!

Ended up going with Suntek 70 on windshield as the installer recommended because it had 10% better TSER and was only a hint darker.
Suntek 50 went on the rear three and sunroof, and Suntek 20 on the front two sides. I went with this because the lighter 30 and 40 seemed more blue hued rather than black and I wanted to match the overall shade of the rear three.

I believe I got damn close, and from the inside its still very easy to see out and you have to look hard to notice a difference between front and back.

34r81eo.jpg

jre0ph.jpg

Also this week the 275/60/20 BFG KO2's and 2.5" Rough Country Lift/Level kit get installed.
Coming along nicely!

Decided to keep the suspension as is.
I just love the current look too much and also while I have been considering a Bakflip MX4 bed cover I read about water leaks due to the leveling of the truck preventing the drainage channels from working properly.
I'm going to allocate the funds I had earmarked for level kit and installation towards the MX4.

Here's another shot of the 275/60/20 BFG KO2's on OEM 20" Polished rims w/ stock suspension.

2mhzsiw.jpg

• 2 years later...

Do you mind sharing how much rake you have. What does your front and back measure. I have same truck, same wheels and looking to do 2” level with 275/60s on those stock rims, but after seeing yours...I think it looks good with those tires. I am on the fence bc of possibly making the truck squat or nose high when towing. 

I appreciate any feedback and thanks for your time. 

Your truck is lookin good!