Curious how many people out there have a CC short box with a toolbox? do you regret it? seems like there is practically no bed room left after putting one in and has me contemplating a standard bed...thoughts?

My 2011 had the 5'8" need with a tool box. I work construction and the short bed was a hindrance at times although the tool box allowed me to stick lumber and ladders under it, and resting on the tailgate I was able to still haul 16' items. Without the box that would have been difficult. I went to a standard 6'6" bed and it seems I have lots more room! However now my double cab seems cramped. If you don't regularly fill up the bed I would say a short bed works well most of the time.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

how much crap do you have to store in the box? get two of these: UnderCover SwingCase

http://www.undercoverinfo.com/products/swingcase

I can store the essentials permanently in the case and the few items I may need for a specific trip, I can just throw in the bed or back seat.

I would not put a big tool box in my truck for the reason you stated, you lose too much of the bed.

My 2011 had the 5'8" need with a tool box. I work construction and the short bed was a hindrance at times although the tool box allowed me to stick lumber and ladders under it, and resting on the tailgate I was able to still haul 16' items. Without the box that would have been difficult. I went to a standard 6'6" bed and it seems I have lots more room! However now my double cab seems cramped. If you don't regularly fill up the bed I would say a short bed works well most of the time.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

d67db51632e585462daeb82689cdad31.jpg

Like he said it's a hindrance when you dontHave enough room. Fortunately I don't have to use the bed of mine very often so it doesn't matter to me much. I can't put my four wheeler on anymore, but I only take it out once a year so I just use a small trailer now. No biggie. Overall though it hasn't bothered me at all.

how much crap do you have to store in the box? get two of these: UnderCover SwingCase

I can store the essentials permanently in the case and the few items I may need for a specific trip, I can just throw in the bed or back seat.

I would not put a big tool box in my truck for the reason you stated, you lose too much of the bed.

never seen these before! thanks for sharing!

Do you have one or two and how much do they actually stick out into the bed from the side? And are they really weatherproof? I've been contemplating getting some of these but haven't been able to see anyone with them in person. The pictures online don't really give a good aspect of how they actually are.

Do you have one or two and how much do they actually stick out into the bed from the side? And are they really weatherproof? I've been contemplating getting some of these but haven't been able to see anyone with them in person. The pictures online don't really give a good aspect of how they actually are.

Yea, one of my coworkers has one also, but I don't know anyone else with one.

I was going to buy 2 if i needed, but I actually fit all my necessities in one. It sticks out a little past the wheel well. So the only downside is, if you frequently haul 4' wide sheets, it gets in the way for that. But it can be removed very easily. I just pull it out when I need the full width. It does have about 1" clear below it, so you can stick a sheet or two under it without moving it.

The cover overlaps all around with a rubber seal, so it is totally waterproof. the lock is covered, but I don't lock mine. I keep my tonneau cover closed unless I have big things in back.

Here's a better photo: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/172029-undercover-swing-case/?p=1616821

Yea, one of my coworkers has one also, but I don't know anyone else with one.

I was going to buy 2 if i needed, but I actually fit all my necessities in one. It sticks out a little past the wheel well. So the only downside is, if you frequently haul 4' wide sheets, it gets in the way for that. But it can be removed very easily. I just pull it out when I need the full width. It does have about 1" clear below it, so you can stick a sheet or two under it without moving it.

The cover overlaps all around with a rubber seal, so it is totally waterproof. the lock is covered, but I don't lock mine. I keep my tonneau cover closed unless I have big things in back.

Here's a better photo: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/172029-undercover-swing-case/?p=1616821

Thanks for the info. You may have just helped make up my mind on these. Now... I just need to convince my wife it's a necessity. :)

I went from 8' to 6'6" to 5'8". I managed fine without the 8' box but I often found the 5'8" too small. I now have a CC with the 6'6" bed. There are advantages to the short box with respect to overall length of the truck but not in my situation. I am not fighting for street parking in a big city nor do I need to fit into a small garage!

I went from 8' to 6'6" to 5'8". I managed fine without the 8' box but I often found the 5'8" too small. I now have a CC with the 6'6" bed. There are advantages to the short box with respect to overall length of the truck but not in my situation. I am not fighting for street parking in a big city nor do I need to fit into a small garage!

You must not ever park at any stores or restaurants with painted lines. I'm glad I learned years ago to always back into parking stalls, because backing out is d@mn near impossible. I came from a regular cab. Now to me, turning this CC around in a parking lot is like steering a yacht.

Thanks for the info. You may have just helped make up my mind on these. Now... I just need to convince my wife it's a necessity. :)

This is one of the cheaper mods you can do. It is a necessity to keep your tools and emergency supplies protected.

You must not ever park at any stores or restaurants with painted lines. I'm glad I learned years ago to always back into parking stalls, because backing out is d@mn near impossible. I came from a regular cab. Now to me, turning this CC around in a parking lot is like steering a yacht.

I don't find the difference in length an issue when backing into parking stalls but the width can be problematic! Some people don't care if they open their doors until they rest on the side of your truck! I've driven pickups for many years and I don't really find parking a problem. Extended ("Super") cabs with 8' box's were very popular in the late 70's and throughout the 80's. They had an even longer wheelbase than today's CC standard beds!

post-137309-0-48915100-1491885762_thumb.jpg

These are 48 inch Delta Boxes. I have had them since 1987 and have them painted to match. They have been sanded down to bare metal 2 times because of so many paint layers. There is also a chest box at the front of the bed that you can't see.

Archived