Leaf Spring Creaks and Noise, Fixed - new leaf springs

Ha, I forgot to add that..

Part # 22-1269

1999 - 2015 Chevy Silverado / GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 - 2010 2500 rear leaf spring, 2025 lbs capacity, 5(4/1) leaves

I also want to point out, I got the parts quick but for $130 shipping, cheapest. UPS did bash them around a lot, when I got them I thought they were refurbished. General Springs assured me that they are not refurbished.

I had 3 of the square plastic pads missing, a plastic protector on the spring clamp missing, each leaf had 1 clamp that got bent out, missing 1 round pad from the overload spring, turned and bent shims between the leafs. Lastly some bare metal from handling.

All easy small fixes, but for ordering new springs I was very disappointed how they came. I cannot blame UPS for it, General Spring KC just slapped a label on the bare leaf springs. They really should have wrapped the eyelets with cardboard to at least help protect them and if they would have put cardboard or 2 straps around the middle to prevent the leafs from spinning/rotating on the middle bolt.

I had to send pictures of the springs to the company, it took them 2 weeks to get me an answer back about the missing parts, very little communication from them on what was going on. Took another week to get the replacement parts (I had already ordered new missing parts from online since I was getting so upset being left in the dark).

I easily add the missing pads, hammered the 2 bent clamps back around the leafs, and hit them with rattle can black to cover any bare metal.

Maybe it was just my order but I was very disappointed with the lack of any protection during shipping on the springs, I felt the customer service had to be the worst I have every dealt with (just total lack of communication and the time to get replacement parts for the missing pieces).

I would still order again from them because the price was right (also looked at skyjacker but $300 for each) and they are not OEM spring.

If you do order from them I really hope you have a much better experience.

Edited by willyr1er

Here are the emails and time frame to have the issue corrected and their response. I received them on Mar 9th. I'll post a few pictures too

Mar 10th -

cleardot.gif
Hello,
I received my order yesterday (below is the order shipping notification) and was shocked at the condition of receiving my new leaf springs. I am attaching pictures in this email for your viewing too.
The leafs are missing 3 plastic square spacers from between the tips, missing 1 protector from the edge of the clamp around the leafs, missing 1 round rubber pad from the overload spring.
Other things that I am not happy about since these should be new springs, 2 of the clamps will need to be hammered back around the leafs as they are spread, missing paint, i am guessing that is why 1 of the protectors is missing. One shim between the overload and leafs will need to flattened back out and aligned back to the pack, as it has turned and been folded. There is paint flaking off the rubber pad on the overload leaf, why is it painted. I really feel like I just purchased a "partly" refurbished leaf spring set when I was expecting new.

Please let me know what you can do to help resolve my issues.

Mar 14th -

Hello,

Haven't heard back from anyone yet. Please respond. Email below.
Thanks
Mar 14th -
profile_mask2.png

Hey Nick,

Your previous email kept giving me an error when trying to open so apologize for not responding to it as had no clue what it was. I will take a look at this when I get a chance a little later today once we get caught up and figure out what’s going on. I assure you these are not refurbished leaf springs.

Joe Wallace

General Spring of Kansas City

to Sales
cleardot.gif
Thank you Joe.
Mar 15 -
to Sales
cleardot.gif
Hi Joe,
Didn't hear anything back from you yesterday. Tomorrow will be 1 week since I received the springs.
Just looking for help to resolve my issues and I feel like I am not getting it. Where is the love?

Do you need me to resend the pictures? different format?

to me
cleardot.gif

Hey Nick,

Sorry, the operations center for that spring distribution is located in the northeast and due to severe weather have been closed down. I have forwarded on your information and once they get caught up from not being there I will have an answer for you. Sorry for the delay on this.

Joe Wallace

General Spring

to Sales
cleardot.gif
Joe,
Thank you for the update.
Please just keep me in the loop, no news is still news to me.
Mar 20th -
to Sales
cleardot.gif
Hi Joe!
Any word yet?
Mar 21st -
to me
cleardot.gif

Hey Nicholas,

The springs looked pretty good minus the obvious parts missing during shipping so here is the response from our distributor.

Hi Joe, the springs are still perfectly operable. They got a bit scuffed during transit. The engineer said they just need 3 inserts D-91, 1 insert D-100 and a couple of clip inserts. I can send those out in regular mail. Please let me know if your customer is fine with that.

Thank you,

Joe Wallace

to Joe
cleardot.gif
Perfectly fine! Thank you!
Do you need my address again or do you have it on file?

I find it astonishing they charged $130 for shipping, and at that price, couldn't be bothered to find or make cardboard boxes or tubes to put them in.

They probably weigh a lot, and are awkward to ship. I'm not surprised at all by the $130 shipping fee.

• Like 1

I find it astonishing they charged $130 for shipping, and at that price, couldn't be bothered to find or make cardboard boxes or tubes to put them in.

I find it astonishing that GM can't engineer a leaf spring design that doesn't suck. I mean the basic design has only been around for what? 100 years?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its been a few months and the new leaf springs are great! No noise/creaks/squeaks/moans or groans, just happy quite driving!

@ GMC-AT, how are yours doing since having them installed?

So far everything is fixed...been about a month. However, I really need about another month or so to be 110% sure. My issue was all the dirt roads have to drive during fall/winter/spring.. the sugar sand would make the springs creak like hell. I haven't spent too much time on the dirt roads since I got these new springs. But I'm pretty confident they will stay quiet.

im thinking about doing mine they are very noisy/clunky. im not sure if i want the stock 2/1 or the 4/1 pack i would like the 5 leaf but i don't want any lift i just want the added capacity so my atv doesn't make it squat

I've debated changing mine. I've found that a good pressure wash at the shackles and rub points, and then soaking the same areas with WD-40's Silicone lubricant takes care of the problem until I make a few more trips to the ranch. Then rinse a repeat.

A farmer friend told me an old trick he used on some of his trucks that were prone to noise was the loosely wrapped the rub points in electrical tape. It prevents most of the dirt ingress and is flexible enough to not cause problems. Haven't tried it yet.

The 4/1 springs will lift the rear a little bit.. I didn't think about this when I got them. Anyway.. they just removed the factory block from the rear of my truck and everything sits the same.

However, I already had a 1.5 level in the front under the shock mount and the truck sits perfect.... I little rake in the front still just how I want it.

The 4/1 springs are stiffer... but maybe about the same to me because I had my factory springs clamped... the trick to help reduce noise... which made them stiffer.

I DO think the stiffer springs also help reduce the drive line "Clunk" issues most of us have when you let of the gas at low speeds.