Leaf Spring Creaks and Noise, Fixed - new leaf springs

I have a set on my 2006 from General Spring. They were quiet at first, but eventually started making noise. I spray them down with WD40 every now and then and it quiets them down for a few months before they become noisy again.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

for the guys that have changed the leafs on the 14+ trucks how do the leafs come out looking the the bolts the nuts are on the outside so the bolts would have to be pushed through the frame hitting things like the gas tank and exhaust do those need to be removed to do the job?

• 9 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 5:04 PM, GMC-AT said:

The 4/1 springs will lift the rear a little bit.. I didn't think about this when I got them. Anyway.. they just removed the factory block from the rear of my truck and everything sits the same.

However, I already had a 1.5 level in the front under the shock mount and the truck sits perfect.... I little rake in the front still just how I want it.

The 4/1 springs are stiffer... but maybe about the same to me because I had my factory springs clamped... the trick to help reduce noise... which made them stiffer.

I DO think the stiffer springs also help reduce the drive line "Clunk" issues most of us have when you let of the gas at low speeds.

I know this is an old post, but I was wondering if you (or any of the other guys) had an update as to the status of your leaf spring noise.  Still no clunking or creaking with the new springs?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I went with the BDS 4"-5.5" lift springs to replace my factory ones that started the issue at 7k miles. Didn't want to screw around with warranty and having the same issue again anyway so I go the BDS springs installed and the issue is fixed. I already had a BDS 4" lift with a 5" block in the rear so I got these springs put on with a 1" block and I was afraid they would ride a little stiffer but honestly they don't ride that much stiffer. I have Sulastic rear shackles and those things do wonders so that is probably helping the ride quality immensely. Love that the BDS springs don't squat either. Really happy I spend the money and did this because I can't stand any abnormal noises on a 55K truck.

• 4 months later...

I'm bumping this thread because after reading the 20+ other threads in regards to this clunking issue, this has been the most helpful.

I do think that some of the issue is needing to lubricate in between the leafs.. in reference to this service bulletin 18-NA-183. I also do think that some of us that are experiencing this issue is that it is actually the bushing that is causing this issue. I solely think this bushing is 99.9% part of the problem.

I have jacked my 17 sierra up and pried the leafs apart and used marine grade grease to lube my leafs and the problem still persists.

My next question is... Has GM revised the rear leaf springs, so you can buy new rear leafs for $145.12 each and replace and end up with the same issue (shitty leaf spring & bushing) or is it possible to replace this bushing and the bushing only?

I am tempted to order from spring kc... those who have, can we get some more updates? Still noise free?

There are spring shops in most metropolitan towns. Look up truck springs and suspension. Go in and talk with them, you’ll be surprised at how reasonably priced Springs and install actually are.  When my 1500 was new and it went to have a lift installed, I went to Rocky Mountain Springs, they looked up my truck’s spring rates and made me one full length leaf (not an add a leaf). They made it to the same specs as my factory leaves. Disassembled the factory spring pack and added it in. Put it back together with heavy keepers and bolted it back up for $100.  Works like a champ. I did gain almost 7/8 of an inch in height. My truck has performed well, with zero spring issues.

i would also recommend buying a set of Rouggh Country traction bars. They are an easy-ish install and do so much to improve handling and traction. $200 on Black Friday sale.